[Serie A] Juventus vs. Messina (24 Viewers)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Serie A Preview: Juventus – Messina
10/15/2005 9:59:00 AM
With the World Cup qualifiers over, attention once again returns to Serie A as Juventus prepare to host Messina. After some solid displays last season, Messina have struggled this season and now languish 3rd from bottom in the league.
BACKGROUND

With the exception of Chelsea, no team in Europe looks as untouchable as Juventus right now. The ‘Old Lady’ has a 100% record in both domestic and European competitions, notching 6 wins in Serie A and 2 in the Champions league. Much has been made of Juve striker Del Piero’s lack of playing time under Fabio Capello, prompting critics to right him off yet again. However Del Piero was decisive once again in Italy’s midweek qualifier making a huge impact former Juve boss decided to start the enigmatic striker. Critics have been suggesting the striker was past his best for some time now but Del Piero continues to prove them wrong. Juventus’ summer acquisitions have slotted into the squad perfectly and have helped the Bianconeri become a much stronger unit. Robert Kovac’s arrival at centre back gives Capello a viable alternative to Thuram and Cannavaro making the Juve squad even more formidable. With the squad at his disposal there is no reason why Capello’s Juventus cannot dominate domestic and European competitions this term.

Its seems hard to believe that Messina finished seventh last season as the Sicilian side now languish in the bottom three in Serie A. After a summer of turmoil Messina have failed to recover from the shock of nearly losing their Serie A status. After appeals and protests the club was reinstated into Italy’s top flight. With all thoughts of financial irregularities aside, the Sicilian side have not managed to push on from their impressive return to top flight football last season. Messina’s fortunes are a stark contrast room those of the other Sicilian side in Serie A, as Palermo continue their fairytale under Del Neri. Messina will need to rediscover the winning habit from last season if they are to remain in Serie A.

FORM GUIDE

Juventus: WWWWWW
The Turin side are currently on an impressive run that has seen them comfortably work their way up to the top of Serie A. There is currently no better side in the league and the ‘Old Lady’ will be in confident mood against Messina.

Messina: DDDLL
The Sicilian side need to start picking up victories if they are to move out of the relegation places. The Stadio Delle Alpi is not the ideal place to start looking for three points at the moment.

TEAM NEWS

Juventus
Trezeguet does not make the starting line-up after an injury with the France national side. The striker is rated as fit enough to make the bench and will be replaced by the rejuvenated Del Piero. Buffon is still not fit and Abbiati keeps his place. Vieira misses out through injury and will be replaced by Giannichedda in midfield.

Messina
The Sicilian side are at full strength with former Juve owned striker Sculli leading the line against his old side. Another Juve old boy Zanchi makes the side after shaking off a dead leg in training.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Juventus
Del Piero showed that he is firing on all cylinders in mid week with a stunning performance for the Italian national side. When Del Piero finds this rich vein of form there are few players as graceful or deadly as him. Expect Alex to cause havoc in the Messina defence.

Messina
Sculli is a powerful centre forward that many feel has yet to reach his potential. It is clear that the striker has the ability to succeed in Serie A and now is the best time for the former Juve player to make his mark.

PROBABLE STARTING XIs

Juventus (4-4-2):
Abiatti - Blasi, Thuram, F.Cannavaro, Zambrotta - Camoranesi, Emerson, Giannichedda, Nedved - Del Piero, Ibrahimovic

Messina (4-4-2):
Storari - Zoro, Rezaei, Zanchi, Aronica - Coppola, Donati, Giampa, D’Agostino - Sculli, Zampagna.

PREDICTION

Juventus should easily cope with Messina despite injuries to Vieira and Trezeguet.

Juventus 3-0 Messina

FreeZ

Sep 18, 2002
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++

Juventus
Del Piero showed that he is firing on all cylinders in mid week with a stunning performance for the Italian national side. When Del Piero finds this rich vein of form there are few players as graceful or deadly as him. Expect Alex to cause havoc in the Messina defence.
:touched:

JuveBoy

Feb 4, 2003
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
Serie A Preview: Juventus – Messina
10/15/2005 9:59:00 AM
With the World Cup qualifiers ...

Trezeguet does not make the starting line-up after an injury with the France national side. The striker is rated as fit enough to make the bench and will be replaced by the rejuvenated Del Piero. Buffon is still not fit and Abbiati keeps his place. Vieira misses out through injury and will be replaced by Giannichedda in midfield.

Juventus should easily cope with Messina despite injuries to Vieira and Trezeguet.

Juventus 3-0 Messina
I love this word, Rejuvenated!

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
not much till kick-off only like 8 hrs :D

well i dont abt blasi and giannii, i think tthat gianni has a slight advantage against manuel, i think that he should be placed in the RB position.

Shoryuken

Jan 7, 2005
Newspapers are claiming that Zlatan isnt 100% and that he will start on the bench, also that Dp and TRez will start, which is funny since Trez was soposed to be out for 3 weeks after the Inter match.

Without Zlatan we shoud still bumrush Messina with their 3 draws and 3 losses so far in the league. Anything other then a win is failure IMO.

But im sure we will win, Juve to win 2-0.

Apr 26, 2004
After the break for World Cup qualifications, Juventus are back to the Delle Alpi to meet last year’s revelation, Messina, who ended the 2004/2005 season seventh-ranked. A winning group must not be changed, that’s why Bortolo Mutti’s squad is virtually like last season’s. The only one missing is goalkeeper Eleftheropoulos, now with AS Roma. The man in charge of making goals is still Zampagna, supported by attacking midfielders Giampà, D’Agostino and Iliev.

Unlike last year, though, the Sicilians have had some difficulties at the start of the season. They earned only three points in the first six matchdays, as a result of three draws, and they’re now ranked at the last but one place side by side with Cagliari and Reggina. If not in attack – they have scored six goals as a whole – the problem seems to be in defence: with the 12 goals conceded, Messina’s defence is the weakest in the championship.

We’ll see a head-to-tail match at the Delle Alpi: the team who has always won, Juventus, against one of those who has not so far, Messina. It’s unlikely that Mutti’s squad manages to earn the three points in the very Turin, since Capello’s side has kicked it off winning every single match they’ve played, in the championship as well as in Champions League. In the latest match against Mancini’s Inter, the Bianconeri played a fantastic match, showing great solidity and practicalness in the midfield and defence, and incisiveness in attack.

This is a top quality mixture that allowed the 2005/2006 Juventus to win the first six matches of the championship, which is a real record since the three-point rule for wins has been introduced. Precedents are clearly on Juventus’s side: in fact, the Bianconeri have won every match played at the Delle Alpi against the Sicilians, who will come to Turin with a desperate need of points. In the past, Mutti’s squad has given their utmost against top clubs and was able, last year, to beat Milan at San Siro and Roma and Inter at home. However, Capello’s lads are always hungry for wins and against Messina they’ll be willing to continue the wonderful series of victories.

Apr 26, 2004
“The match against Messina will be tough: they’ve had all the time to prepare the match while we’ve been away with the International team and we’ll have to make the most of the remaining two days. We won 2-1 last year but we struggled a lot; we must maintain our pace and earn three very important points”.

Mauro Camoranesi’s mind is already set on Saturday night’s challenge against Messina, galvanized by the wins with the International team: “We’re happy we’ve qualified for Germany 2006 one match in advance. It wasn’t easy but we’ve been good and we can now look at next matches more easily. The World Cup? I’m not thinking about it yet. There’s still a whole season ahead to face.”

A season where Camoranesi is doing great, keeping a top performance in every match: “I don’t think I’ve played differently so far compared to the last few years. The thing is that I scored two, three important goals in the first matches while I usually score four or five goals in the whole season, this may be the reason why it seems I’m playing better. Actually, I try to analyze my performance after every match and I must say that there’s still something to improve.”

At the beginning of the season, Mauro seems to have a different tactical attitude compared to the last few years, he’s more a ‘finisher’ and less a pure wing: “Yes, I now tend to focus more on assisting the final pass while I used to be more often in the background, on the flank. This is because it used to be Pavel’s job to get into the midfield while it is now my turn”. Juventus are currently in a fantastic moment and the lads are causing huge expectations: “The fact that the critics now see us as the favourites cannot be disadvantegeous for us. It must be like this: this team was built to win everything and we’ll try to do so.”

Apr 26, 2004
“We’re favourite on paper but we have to be careful because Messina are in a good shape. It’s true that they have conceded many goals, but they’re playing well. In the other matches they conceded some ‘presents’ , like clearances on the goal line or penalties not converted, but they’re still a team to be cautious about.”

Fabio Capello keeps pressure high before Saturday night early match; the match against Messina won’t be easy as it occurs between the break for the World Cup qualifications and Tuesday’s match against Bayern: “I’m working to keep the team concentrated as I do not want them to underestimate Saturday’s match. The spirits are high and the International players are happy to have achieved their targets. Obviously, not all the players have trained with the group: those who have played two consecutive matches have trained separately, in any case I’m satisfied with their committment.”

The Azzurri have returned Del Piero to Juventus in a dazzling shape; Italy’s Captain played beside two other forwards, giving a remarkable performance. Is it a further solution for coach Capello too? “Del Piero played really well, like Mutu after all. Adrian has fully recovered. As much as Alex is concerned, he gives his best as second-string striker, especially when he starts from the left, like, in fact, he did with Italy. He can easily be dangerous from that position, both in scoring than in assisting the other teammates”. Talking again about the International players, Capello wanted to dedicate a thought to Nedved too, who seems to be willing to accept the Czech Republic’s call-up: “His International team has several important players unavailable for injury and I think it is fair for Pavel to accept the call-up and give his support.”

Apr 26, 2004
Back from the World Cup 2006 qualifications in Europe, all the players involved have been visited to check their physical conditions. As resulting from the tests, Ibrahimovic, Kovac, Mutu, Thuram and the Italian players are in good conditions.

As much as Vieira is concerned, he has a modest muscular after-effect to his right abdominal rectus muscles. His clinical situation will be analysed tomorrow.

rokkstar

Feb 2, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Rainforest Liu ] ++
As much as Vieira is concerned, he has a modest muscular after-effect to his right abdominal rectus muscles. His clinical situation will be analysed tomorrow.
modest?!

:confused:

gianni must perform in this match.

hope dp can also play like he did for NT.

a hard-fought 1-0 for us.

Forza Juve!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)