[Serie A] Juventus-Siena (4 Viewers)

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
Great, determined and focused, led by a Del Piero in a state of grace, Juventus gained 3 points at the Delle Alpi against Siena. A 3-0 resulted from a masterpiece and a penalty by Del Piero and one goal by Emerson.

The Bianconeri kick off in attack. The first attempt comes from Blasi but his shot misses the target and ends over the goalline (9’). Alex delights the supporters with classy passes. It’s the very Captain who, after one of his beautiful actions, serves Zalayeta but the latter misses the ball. On 23’ minutes, Emerson’s header ends out and the same occurs to Del Piero’s free kick on 29’ minutes. Siena become dangerous on 18’ minutes with Flo and on 27’ minutes with Taddei who brings Buffon to his first save in the match. The tie is broken on 35’ minutes. Zalayeta runs down the right flank, successfully dribbles his opponent and crosses towards the midfield where Del Piero flicks the ball in with his heel and scores. A masterpiece that makes the Delle Alpi shout for joy. Juventus get dangerous again into the latest few minutes of the first half: first with Zalayeta’s tricky header then with Ibrahimovic’s finish from the left edge of the box and finally it’s Del Piero again who tries to take advantage from a mistake made by Siena’s defence and he nearly doubles the score.

No changes for both sides during the break. No change as well in the game being played, with the Bianconeri still controlling the match and Siena playing defensive in the few spaces left open by Capello’s squad, which remains concentrated and determined all the time. On 4’ minutes, Zalayeta runs down to the right flank and fires a nice shot finally deflected into the corner. From the corner, Camoranesi finds Emerson for a header and the Brazilian doubles the lead (5’). The third goal arrives on 18’ minutes when Del Piero converts the penalty assigned by Collina after the foul on Emerson (3-0). Juventus lead the match until the end with great authority.

JUVENTUS-SIENA 3-0
GOALS: 35’fh and 18’sh (pen.) Del Piero, 5’sh Emerson, 27’sh Olivera,
JUVENTUS: Buffon, Zebina, Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Camoranesi (43’sh Ferrara), Emerson (32’sh Tacchinardi), Blasi, Del Piero, Ibrahimovic (22’sh Olivera), Zalayeta. Manager: Capello. Substitutes: Chimenti, Ferrara, Tacchinardi, Pessotto, Birindelli, Appiah, Olivera.
SIENA: Manninger, Colonnese, Tudor, Portanova, Alberto (31’sh Foglio), D'Aversa (14’sh Cozza), Taddei, Vergassola, Falsini, Chiesa (28’sh Maccarone), Flo. Manager: De Canio. Substitutes: Fortin, Cirillo, Argilli, Foglio, Di Donato, Maccarone, Cozza.
REFEREE: Collina
YELLOW CARDS: 11’fh Alberto, 27'sh Olivera
SPECTATORS: 19.385
PROCEEDS: 357.681

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
"The match against Real Madrid has been a good experience, a very tough match and after all we achieved a good result: 1-0 allows us to play for qualification in the second leg". Manuele Blasi is a fighter, someone who on the field runs for kilometres and is not the kind of guy who fears the defeat suffered at the Bernabeu.

At the Delle Alpi, on March, 9th, the Bianconeri have all the chances to turn the result over but Manuele won't be there. The yellow card he got in the first leg will force him to miss the return match with Real Madrid and it's shame because Blasi's ability not to get short of breath is more and more fundamental for the Bianconeri's game. As he explains: "Yes, I run a lot and I willingly sacrifice myself as this is what I'm asked for by the coach. I sometimes may be less lucid when I receive the ball than the others and consequently less precise in passing it but after all my job is other than this. Mine is a role for which Juventus has strong players such as Tacchinardi and Appiah but I've been here for only one year and nevertheless I've been playing with continuity so I can be rather satisfied."

February has not been one of the most positive months for Juventus but Manuele believes they the worst has gone: "All the clubs have had hard times, Milan AC too, yet we knew how strong they are and we did not think we could have maintained the 8-point advantage until the end of the season. We're now equal, also because they've been luckier lately. We have to start again from square one but it's alright, somehow it's better this way. From now on we know we cannot make mistakes, starting from next Sunday against Siena. It will be hard because it is sometimes tougher to meet less titled clubs, which play more tight in defence, than against Real. Anyway, we've been on top of the table from the very beginning and we must believe in victory until the end without ever giving up".

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
Fabio Capello si satisfied with his squad’s performance which caused them to win neatly over Siena. After the match, this was his comment: “I said I had seen the team in a very good condition in the last few days. They trained with concentration and determination and played the same way today. There finally has been a faster game pace.” He was asked about the trident attack: “It can be surely repeated, it will depend on each match and on the opponents to meet. If it is like today, with the three strikers able to step back , it works”.

Eventually, he was asked about Del Piero’s excellent performance: “He wasn’t himself a few months ago and I said he would thank me later. He is himself now, he pleases us and makes us win.”

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
“Winning was important, especially after playing such a good match. We played with determination, we managed to score three goals, with a good ball possession and creating many occasions. Well, we have to follow this path.”

Emerson is satisfied with the good performance against Siena. “El Puma” scored with a powerful header and won a penalty that allowed Del Piero to score the third goal: “Scoring is always pleasant but what is important is that my goal helped the team win. The penalty? I was held down and could not hit the ball with my head. Collina was good enough to see that”.

The win over Siena launched Juventus back to the top of the table, waiting for the derby in Milan. He underlined: “I won’t be watching the match tonight. No matter how it ends. It’s us who have to keep going on this way and try to gain three more points next Saturday in the match against Roma”.

Rainforest Liu

Apr 26, 2004
A masterful goal, like the one scored against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions' League final match, a penalty converted with determination, but most of all a substantial match, marked by classy touches, unexpected accelerations, in a few words Del Piero’s touch.

The Captain was the absolute protagonist of the win against Siena, he received the applauses from an enthusiastic Curva, toward which he went at the end of the match to greet his supporters. He said: “I think I’m in a good condition because my legs are rolling and it shows. My performance will probably be emphasized because of the two goals I scored, but I think I’ve played well before even without scoring. The trident attack? It’ alright for me, but I don’t think it is correct to say that this is the only pattern that can help us score goals.”

The return to scoring for Juventus’s Captain is an important sign in view of the forthcoming fundamental fixtures: “We must remind to ourselves that we are not the winners yet. It’s now the turn of AS Roma and the second leg match against Real Madrid, which are two fundamental matches of our season. And we cannot fail.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)