[Serie A] Juventus - Livorno (4 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Juventus 4 - 2 Livorno
Del Piero 17 (J), Camoranesi 25 (J), Vidigal 42 (L), Ibrahimovic 75 (J), Melara 79 (L), Camoranesi pen 89 (J)

Juve put in another disappointing performance, but still get back on track with a victory against troubled Livorno.

Juventus saw their lead sliced to just two points going into this game, with two consecutive draws against Milan and Parma. However, they were the overwhelming favourites to get the victory against Livorno. With both Cristiano and Alessandro Lucarelli suspended, they also froze Igor Protti out of the side following his public row with Coach Franco Colomba.

Ruben Olivera surprisingly started in midfield, as Manuele Blasi was sent to the stands. Gigi Buffon was tested by a Doga chance, then Zlatan Ibrahimovic turned a free header just wide of the post from a corner kick.

Marco Amelia then rushed off his line to clear from Pavel Nedved as Juve dominated the early play.

Alessandro Del Piero has been criticised in the press recently and substituted repeatedly, but it was the captain who opened the scoring after 17 minutes. He lost his marker to nod in Olivera's sweeping free kick from eight yards.

There was only one team in it and soon after Juve doubled their lead with a chaotic move. Ibrahimovic's diving header on a Zebina cross was pushed on to the crossbar by Fabio Galante, but Mauro Camoranesi was ready to tap in the loose ball.

Marco Amelia flew to fingertip an Ibrahimovic header over the bar, a move started by an impressive Del Piero backheel.

Livorno may have had no strikers, but they still pierced the Juventus defence just before the break. Doga's long cross found a diving Jose Luis Vidigal header at the back post.

The visitors managed to string together a few corner kicks in the second half and Olivera's promising counter-attack was halted by Vargas.

Del Piero's confidence was boosted and he performed a stunning piece of trickery with two backheels to send Nedved running, then curled a free kick just over the bar.

Livorno were also more confident and Buffon bravely rushed off his line with a perfectly timed tackle on Danilevicius, while Vigiani could only hit the side-netting of an open goal.

Melara accidentally deflected an Ibrahimovic cross on to his own crossbar, giving Livorno a lucky escape.

Juve were beginning to struggle, but managed to restore their two-goal cushion with 15 minutes to go. Alessio Tacchinardi's cross was touched back for an Ibrahimovic piledriver from the edge of the box. There were protests that Zalayeta handled the ball, but the referee waved play on.

Yet Livorno re-opened the match yet again in the closing stages, as Matteo Melara was allowed too much time to control a corner kick and nod in from close range.

There was controversy moments later when Vidigal was clearly held back by Fabio Cannavaro as he tried to reach Doga's cross, but the Portuguese player was also probably offside.

However, in the final minute Tacchinardi was brought down by Amelia and Camoranesi converted the resulting penalty.

Juventus: Buffon; Zebina, Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta; Camoranesi, Emerson, Olivera (Tacchinardi 63), Nedved; Ibrahimovic (Pessotto 85), Del Piero (Zalayeta 67)

Livorno: Amelia; Balleri, Melara, Vargas, Galante; Passoni, Doga, Vidigal, Grauso (Colombo 76); Danilevicius, Vigiani

Ref: Farina

source: channel4.com
Brilliant pieces of skill shown by DP. In particular the second one was amazing and it left me sitting in my seat thinking 'I thought he only did things like that 7 years ago' :thumb:

kurvengeflüster

********* a.D.
Jan 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++
Congratulations Juve, even though it wasn't impressive...conceding 2 goals against Livorno is not acceptable.....
I can live with that ... hey we won.

the thread is full of offendings against juve players and capello. shame. if we aren't 2 goals in advance people start bashing. :sad:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Brilliant pieces of skill shown by DP. In particular the second one was amazing and it left me sitting in my seat thinking 'I thought he only did things like that 7 years ago' :thumb:
Yes, Del Piero looked good today. Much better than the past few weeks, that's for sure. I really hope he can keep playing like this, but inconsistency seems to be one of his middle names.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Very exciting match today. Capello decided to field Olivera instead of Blasi, something that I knew would help the the attack. However while this would undoubtedly help the attack, playing Olivera over Blasi would weaken the team defense, which was witnessed today. Two goals against playing a side without Protti and Lucarelli, with basically not a striker for Livorno on the pitch; this does not look very good. But stuff like this happens when you all of a sudden change players and formations. I like having Olivera in midfield, but something needs to be done to help secure the defense.
I don't think playing Olivera weakened us too much. Both of their goals were scored because of mental lapses imo as we were too relaxed when leading 2-0 and 3-1. Zebina, Thuram, Cannavaro and Zambrotta all had good games and I was glad to see us finally playing well in attack.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by olkiller ] ++
If only Mister Gianni Agnelli were still alive, Cap wouldn't be messin' around this way...Life's a *****h!
I really do not understand what you are on about. We won 4-2 FFS.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004

Yes, Del Piero looked good today. Much better than the past few weeks, that's for sure. I really hope he can keep playing like this, but inconsistency seems to be one of his middle names.
and You bet he wouldn't score;)

Aug 26, 2003
I don't know what to say!

First i think that the win was the most important thing today, while we made not good performances against Bologna and Milan before the break!
IMO it was important to come back on the winning ways so that maybe we can start a new run!

From what i heard is that we played ok against Parma and only the luck was missing, but that can happen to every team!

today was waiting for a clear win from juve! But as it showed it was not really convincing, we performed well till the 2:1 from Livorno! and what i don't like is that we should not allow a team like Livorno to come back into the game 2 times! but that is maybe lack of concentration and form at the moment!

But what i really miss is the solid team that we were at the beginning of the season, and IMO we have to start a new run and become solid again in every departement otherwise no scudetto and CL!

but maybe Trez return will help the team which also gives us more possibilitys in attack, and also Olivera seems to help us in the offense!

What i don't like is what Capello is doing with Del Piero, it is ok to sub a player (nevertheless what is his name) if he doesn't perform, but as it seems del Piero is doing ok at the moment, and that is clear favourism toward Zlatan and that could be not good for the whole team!

anyway i hope that the win helps the team in every kind and I am looking forward to the next match!

forza juve

PS: who was man of the match? Camo, Olivera?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002

Injured is another one of his middle names. Let's just hope that he can keep this up on a consistent basis.

PS. No-one in this Juve squad seems capable of hitting a good free kick. Del Piero, Nedved and Olivera all disappointed with their efforts. All three of them are good when it comes to whipping free kicks in towards teammates, but they all failed to hit the target when shooting. DP's in the second half wasn't too bad, but we should be making the opposition's goalkeeper work.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

I don't think playing Olivera weakened us too much. Both of their goals were scored because of mental lapses imo as we were too relaxed when leading 2-0 and 3-1. Zebina, Thuram, Cannavaro and Zambrotta all had good games and I was glad to see us finally playing well in attack.
Yeah, I think we need Olivera's creativity in the side. Olivera looks much more adept offensively than Blasi, and I hope Ruben will be able to adapt to the defensive responsibilities asked of him by Capello. But Olivera starting in midifeld looks very promising to me.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by simpson-juvefan ] ++

PS: who was man of the match? Camo, Olivera?
IMO Camoranesi was the MOTM. Olivera wasn't that good but just having an attack-minded central midfielder ensured that we were better going forward. Ibrahimovic was very good as well. Actually, come to think of it, everyone was good. Zebina and Zambrotta (in particular) got forward to good effect and apart from a lapse or two Thuram and Cannavaro were solid. Emerson put in another industrious midfield performance and Camo was superb. Nedved had a good first half but wasn't brilliant in the second while Del Piero showed excellent skill at times and good passing ability. He took his goal well too and Zlatan's strike was top knotch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)