[SERIE A] JUVENTUS 3-3 Chievo (April 5th 2009) (2 Viewers)

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
People are blaming Mellberg for conceding that last minute goal, but even if Mellberg made a mistake, we should have still stopped that goal. When Langella got the ball we had 6 players versus 3 Chievo players. Zebina could not stop the cross, while Molinaro and Chiellini were both marking the same player (Esposito), leaving Pellissier totally unmarked at the back post. Both DMs also failed to do anything. The goal was a perfect example of our weak defensive display during the whole game.

I also think that playing both Giovinco and Camoranesi leaves us defensively unbalanced, none of them are able to defend with discipline.

tpain

Apr 8, 2008
People are blaming Mellberg for conceding that last minute goal, but even if Mellberg made a mistake, we should have still stopped that goal. When Langella got the ball we had 6 players versus 3 Chievo players. Zebina could not stop the cross, while Molinaro and Chiellini were both marking the same player (Esposito), leaving Pellissier totally unmarked at the back post. Both DMs also failed to do anything. The goal was a perfect example of our weak defensive display during the whole game.

I also think that playing both Giovinco and Camoranesi leaves us defensively unbalanced, none of them are able to defend with discipline.
neither can giggs and cristiano ronaldo...

tpain

Apr 8, 2008
I hope Tiago and Mellberg get benched for the next match...
sadly, ranieri doesnt have the guts to do it...i hate his i-love-the-players attitude....he has no respect from the players and he himself is a soft-hearted fool who always think that second is good enough....

i hate the fact that he did not take actions on trezeguet's comments and instead played him in this match...although i really really is a great fan of trezegol....i think that a strict n respectable manager etc.ferguson/capello/mourinho would have benched/fined/downgrade trezegol if it happens in their team...

this just show how easy ranieri is on the players, and in the players' eyes, he is just a old nice guy who have not much talent in managing.....

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
If that was the case then you would have seen Del Piero in the second half vs Chievo... and to be extra nice to Ranieri, I might also add that he did it half time so that people wouldn't have to see if at all Del Piero decided to react...

Guardian

Dec 28, 2005

I completely agree with you. We shouldn't blame Mellberg or anyone for everythng, when in fact Chiellini was disorientated, Molinaro has always been a disaster when it comes to defending and both DM's were poor as well. I'm not talking about the third goal, the entire defensive performance of all players was awkward. Juve is not going to win anything if Secco and his stuff don't play their cards well in the summer transfer window. Because new faces are needed. Zebina, Grygera, Tiago, Salihamijic, Zanetti, Mellberg, Molinaro, Almiron, Marchioni, Andrade have to be off-loaded to make place to younger, more talented and ambitious players. It's not necessary to sign super expensive players like Ribery, Villa or Silva. I just hope Secco won't bring new Tiagos or Almirons and miss the next Hamsiks or Santacroces (Hamsik cost Napoli only 5.5M )

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You can hardly find a more defensively stable winger then Camoranesi, while still being an offensive winger still. So I agree with your post, except the Giovinco and Camo part. We shouldnt worry about Giovinco being able to defend or not (ludicrous to expect that), but how the actual defenders should actually frigging defend competently.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Giovinco and Camoranesi on the flanks is nothing but pure brilliance. It's not many times that we've had the pleasure to experience that but if they can both remain healthy for the majority of next season, I don't see us losing out on the Scudetto.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Look at the situation just before the cross goes in:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/372/chievogoal.png

Pellisier is the Chievo player just outside the 'D'.

It is three on three, not six on four as only the three defenders and three attackers are relevant.

Zebina could have stopped the cross.

Molinaro goes with his man, as he had to do, unless he got a shout from Chiellini.

Chiellini, therefore, was the man who needed to get closer to Pellisier, but he was ball watching.

There should also have been better communication from either Buffon of Molinaro (as they were the defenders who could see the situation developing) to decide to go to more zonal marking, but that is an incredibly tough call to make.

There was only about eight seconds between Mellberg losing the ball and the ball ending up in the net.

Realistically, the main point that at which the goal could have been prevented after Mellberg losing the ball was with Zebina stopping the cross.

It should also be said, the movement from the Chievo forwards was very good to find space the way they did.

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
You can hardly find a more defensively stable winger then Camoranesi, while still being an offensive winger still.
I don't know about this, maybe. But there are clearly times when Camo is slack in defense, esp if he is in one of his bad moods. Now that we are playing 4-3-1-2 with Giovinco (and not 4-4-2 with the defensively reliable Nedved), Camo's defensive abilities are gonna be called into question. I would like to see this formation play more games (esp vs Inter, Milan) to make further conclusions, but I have a suspicion that Ranieri is gonna play Nedved instead of Giovinco, and I wouldn't blame him for that.

We shouldnt worry about Giovinco being able to defend or not (ludicrous to expect that), but how the actual defenders should actually frigging defend competently.
This is exactly what I meant. We have to play more defensive considering the defenders we have. I have absolutely nothing against playing Giovinco and Camo, as long as the defense doesn't suffer because of that.

It is three on three, not six on four as only the three defenders and three attackers are relevant.

Molinaro goes with his man, as he had to do, unless he got a shout from Chiellini.

Chiellini, therefore, was the man who needed to get closer to Pellisier, but he was ball watching.

There should also have been better communication from either Buffon of Molinaro (as they were the defenders who could see the situation developing) to decide to go to more zonal marking, but that is an incredibly tough call to make.

There was only about eight seconds between Mellberg losing the ball and the ball ending up in the net.

Realistically, the main point that at which the goal could have been prevented after Mellberg losing the ball was with Zebina stopping the cross.

It should also be said, the movement from the Chievo forwards was very good to find space the way they did.
I was talking about the moment when Langella GOT the ball. Your screenshot is taken some moments later.

If a CB goes forward, one of the DMs HAS TO cover for him. Espescially when it's the last minutes of an important game. The moment Mellberg thought he is Maradona, either Marchisio or Tiago should've stayed back.

I also included Buffon as one of the 6. 6=Buffon, Zebina, Chiellini, Molinaro, Marchisio, Tiago. In fact, it's 7, with Mellberg.

My main point is that people are bashing Mellberg, but with a more organized defense this goal could and should have been prevented, despite Mellberg's mistake. This goal was the result of string of errors from different players.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008

I also blame our DMs or Camo or Zebina not to support Mellberg

When Mellberg bring the ball to the right mid and hold it from Cievo RB, he turns back but he is not found anyone he can pass.. where is Camo or Zebina or our DMs to help him.. then Langella came to help that Chievo RB to surround Mellberg and that moment Mellberg not intelegently kick the ball out and the ball is stealed by Chievo players...

I think that time our players think that they are has won the game and played too relax

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)