[Serie A] JUVENTUS 3-0 Roma (Jan. 5th 2014) (56 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

Webb? Not thanks. Besides, I don't think there is anything pointing towards him taking the game, aside from the cries of a Roma newspaper.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
For me Serie A has the best refs in the world. Simply put, the standard at FIFA level isn't that good, or not good enough to consistently get calls right. External pressure also affects Italian refs, just look at the $#@! Roma are trying to pull before the game. They know they can't afford to lose the game, so the pressure starts early, how Juve get so many calls blah blah. Roma have always been the little weasel skulking in the shadows.
i would say serié's a weakness is more in the linesman rather than the main field ref.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Conte's considering 4-3-3 against Roma with Licht and Asamoah as fullbacks. - GDS
:tuttosport:

Buffon
Licht Barza Chiellini Asamoah
Vidal Pirlo Pogba
Marchisio Llorente Tevez

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Only three players out of position there, let's go for it.
Asamoah and Marchisio, while Tevez can play there and has been playing at various points during his career, but the same can be said for 3-5-2; Licht and again Asamoah are occupying WB spots and neither of them are natural WB.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Asamoah and Marchisio, while Tevez can play there and has been playing at various points during his career, but the same can be said for 3-5-2; Licht and again Asamoah are occupying WB spots and neither of them are natural WB.
Personally I think Lichtsteiner is a perfectly fine RWB, it's not a big leap for him to step forward. Basically you've got one player taking a step forward, and the other taking a step sideways in a 3-5-2. In that above formation Asamoah is moving two positions (left back FFS), Marchisio two positions, and you dampen the goal threat of Tevez moving him to the side.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Personally I think Lichtsteiner is a perfectly fine RWB, it's not a big leap for him to step forward. Basically you've got one player taking a step forward, and the other taking a step sideways in a 3-5-2. In that above formation Asamoah is moving two positions (left back FFS), Marchisio two positions, and you dampen the goal threat of Tevez moving him to the side.
Licht isn't good crosser and can't beat his marker regularly; good RWB need to have at least one of these abilities. His defensive soundness makes him an excellent RB. Playing Asamoah as a LB or LWB won't make much of a difference as his natural spot is in the middle. I still think that he can develop in a rather good LB if he's trained for longer period for that spot and in lack of better solutions on the market. The only issue in that formation is Marchisio, but his role won't be to provide team with width, or attacking options, but rather to focus on closing down Roma's wingers, Gervinho in particular.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Licht isn't good crosser and can't beat his marker regularly; good RWB need to have at least one of these abilities. His defensive soundness makes him an excellent RB.
Yet he's played there for two seasons in a successful team, and is consistently one of our best players. What he lacks in crossing he makes up for in overlapping and underlapping runs, determination, and he has a nice finish when given the opportunity. Quite simply he is a more than good RWB, and has shown it for some time. It's easy to see that from the games he's missed. Of course he's not a natural, and people often prefer attacking RWBs, but that's a different issue.

Playing Asamoah as a LB or LWB won't make much of a difference
That's because you're assuming the two positions are much the same, which they aren't. He's not a defender, yet will be expected to defend deep against direct attackers, hold an offside trap, and cover the back post from crosses in. Here he has to play as the last line of defence. I'm confident he'll do ok there, but we are nullifying the guy even further. He can't drive forward and play as much of his natural one touch game from the left. He won't have as many opportunities to dribble directly at players, and will be expected to cross more on the overlap. That is the weakest point of his game. We're already taking him out of his comfort zone by asking him to play as a wide midfielder asked to defend, let alone as a wide defender.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't Tevez always play on the wings before joinning Juve?
That's because of his style and size, teams play a lot of 4-3-3. But for me it doesn't seem wise to play our top scorer out on the wing for the biggest domestic game of the season so far, call me crazy. I don't see a lot to suggest we will change from 3-5-2 for this one.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Yet he's played there for two seasons in a successful team, and is consistently one of our best players. What he lacks in crossing he makes up for in overlapping and underlapping runs, determination, and he has a nice finish when given the opportunity. Quite simply he is a more than good RWB, and has shown it for some time. It's easy to see that from the games he's missed. Of course he's not a natural, and people often prefer attacking RWBs, but that's a different issue.
In a league that has lack of quality wide players, defensive ineptness shown by most teams more often than not, where defenders can't fulfill basic defensive responsibilities he was very good, but the real difference was seen in European games. You can't compensate lack of attacking talent with hard work and determination. With an additional player on the flank, be it even Marchisio, we would see less of Vidal or Pogba going wide to provide him support, simply they could pose more threat in the central area.

That's because you're assuming the two positions are much the same, which they aren't. He's not a defender, yet will be expected to defend deep against direct attackers, hold an offside trap, and cover the back post from crosses in. Here he has to play as the last line of defence. I'm confident he'll do ok there, but we are nullifying the guy even further. He can't drive forward and play as much of his natural one touch game from the left. He won't have as many opportunities to dribble directly at players, and will be expected to cross more on the overlap. That is the weakest point of his game. We're already taking him out of his comfort zone by asking him to play as a wide midfielder asked to defend, let alone as a wide defender.
I'm certainly not assuming that and in the previous part regarding Licht it is evident. Asamoah put in wonderful performance in Madrid, but I had mixed feelings for the one in Turin. Very few players wouldn't face difficulties when facing player of Bale's caliber, but he could handle the likes of Florenzi or Gervinho, of that I'm confident. You're forgetting that both FBs in a 4 men backline don't have identical responsibilities, while the one is more offensively orientated, making overlapping runs and providing crosses, the other one stays back and forms in most cases 3 men backline.

Regardless of formation we can beat this Roma side, position of players is at times irrelevant, but their responsibilities are what could make a difference. It all comes to having a well balanced side, players capable of creating chances and the ones simply better at defensive tasks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 56)