[Serie A] JUVENTUS 2 - 3 Cagliari (01/31/09) (1 Viewer)

Who's to blame for this loss and last performances?

• Coach

• Whole Management

• Players

• Global Warming

• inter inter inter

• James Bond (Daniel Craig)

• Physio Staff

Results are only viewable after voting.

olkiller

Sep 9, 2002
If we take a look at Cagliari's run over the last 10 Serie A rounds: 6 victories, including a rather sensational thrashing of Lazio at the Olimpico, 3 draws (they played well and really should've won against Inter) and only lost once, 3-2 against Roma. Guys, this clearly isn't last season's Cagliari side. All the fancy 4-3-3 line-ups might look attractive or enthusing, but the fact is we've got to remain on the safe side here, especially in the 1st half. So I'd rather go for a more conservative 4-4-2. Ranieri should leave Nedved out, and put De Ceglie on the left wing. We desperately need top-form Chiellini & Legro in order to curb Cagliari dangerous attacking pair Jeda & Acquafresca. Pairing up marchisio with sissoko sounds good to me. And of course, Del Piero / Amauri (possibly replaced by Trezegol @HT) upfront.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slow_Roll

In Love with a Feelin'
Mar 4, 2008
Ok how would you deal with Marchionni dilemma. Out of curiocy do you think having 2 pure wingers without creativity when our cm is supposed to be a lock up with the defense meaning no creativity from there.

olkiller

Sep 9, 2002
Ok how would you deal with Marchionni dilemma. Out of curiocy do you think having 2 pure wingers without creativity when our cm is supposed to be a lock up with the defense meaning no creativity from there.
Marchionni/Camo on the right sounds like a creative solution to me...De Ceglie isn't that bad and neither is Marchisio.

sacrer

Nov 6, 2006
I watched a Worldcup 2006 movie today and I watched Camo, THIS JUVE REALLY MISSES CAMO... The problem is that when him and DelPiero are not there the team always has difficulty.. I hope Camo can be back very soon!

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
A narrow team like that is very easy for an organised defence to close down.

You need width, or none of the creative players will be able to find the space in which to play and create chances.
You mean about the wings? Amauri could partially cover that role, reverting into a 4-4-2 as we defend and with a little help from DC from the other side! Having them on the wings and Marchisio closing in from the center, we would create a multidimensional front that would force them to pull back and defend with two lines.
If they fall back, our fullbacks will be free to approach and provide an advanced support. Having 3 forwards +3 MDs + DC crosses and runs we could still overwhelm them. Then, our superior technical skills would take over and our champions will do the difference. One mistake from their side and they are undone. Both DP and Amauri are particularly effective in this type of conditions, as they tend to return back and play as wingers, if there is a lack of creativity and support. But this time, they wont have to assist the man on the other part of the field, the CF will be there to provide a constant threat and keep the CBs in the center! If DP or Amauri go past through a Cagliari fullback,
which is a very possible outcome since they are normally unstoppable at 1 o 1 situations, its going to be them and Trezequet against the CB who is guarding that sector:juventus: I expect to see at least 3 goals under those circumstances.
I honestly dont see Grygera and Marchionni being more effective offensively than Amauri and Mellberg from the left. And the same stands for the other part with Molinaro+Neddy vs DC+DP.

But there certainly is a defensive risk over there, Sissoko and Chiellini would have to fill the gaps of DC's advance and not let anyone slipping through and CZ swift passes may provide what Mellberg may not be able to provide from the other side. Thats why why Marchisio has to be there instead of an AMF (Giovinco, Tiago), to provide coverage as/when needed. And i hope with the addition of Chiellini, our weak defense will not shatter against the Cagliari forwards.
We cannot afford that against superior teams. This is our greatest flaw as a team!
But its Cagliari we are talking about, if we cant try the trident on them, i wonder when we can...

There will be times, when this trident/scheme will be used, so we better start using to test its efficiency. We wont have the time to fine tune it against Chelsea, if needed (after we concede two goals) for example. A small mistake in our tactical approach would be lethal there, the class of our opponents would sense and exploit it.

NitK

Jul 22, 2008
Would I enjoy a trident with Amauri and Alessandro Del Piero? I would play in defence to get on the pitch.

-Trezegol

new formation:-

-------*-------
*---Trez---*----*
Marco---*---*-Nedved
-----*--*-----

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You mean about the wings? Amauri could partially cover that role, reverting into a 4-4-2 as we defend and with a little help from DC from the other side! Having them on the wings and Marchisio closing in from the center, we would create a multidimensional front that would force them to pull back and defend with two lines.
If they fall back, our fullbacks will be free to approach and provide an advanced support. Having 3 forwards +3 MDs + DC crosses and runs we could still overwhelm them. Then, our superior technical skills would take over and our champions will do the difference. One mistake from their side and they are undone. Both DP and Amauri are particularly effective in this type of conditions, as they tend to return back and play as wingers, if there is a lack of creativity and support. But this time, they wont have to assist the man on the other part of the field, the CF will be there to provide a constant threat and keep the CBs in the center! If DP or Amauri go past through a Cagliari fullback,
which is a very possible outcome since they are normally unstoppable at 1 o 1 situations, its going to be them and Trezequet against the CB who is guarding that sector:juventus: I expect to see at least 3 goals under those circumstances.
I honestly dont see Grygera and Marchionni being more effective offensively than Amauri and Mellberg from the left. And the same stands for the other part with Molinaro+Neddy vs DC+DP.

But there certainly is a defensive risk over there, Sissoko and Chiellini would have to fill the gaps of DC's advance and not let anyone slipping through and CZ swift passes may provide what Mellberg may not be able to provide from the other side. Thats why why Marchisio has to be there instead of an AMF (Giovinco, Tiago), to provide coverage as/when needed. And i hope with the addition of Chiellini, our weak defense will not shatter against the Cagliari forwards.
We cannot afford that against superior teams. This is our greatest flaw as a team!
But its Cagliari we are talking about, if we cant try the trident on them, i wonder when we can...

There will be times, when this trident/scheme will be used, so we better start using to test its efficiency. We wont have the time to fine tune it against Chelsea, if needed (after we concede two goals) for example. A small mistake in our tactical approach would be lethal there, the class of our opponents would sense and exploit it.

I'm deeply suspicious of formations without natural width in them, especially when playing an inferior team at home. It just goes against my idea of how it is best to play, so I'm never going to be in favour of a system like the one you suggested.

I would start with, more or less, our normal 4-4-2 and make changes to it as becomes necessary. I didn't see the Udinese game, though, so I'm not about to demand people are dropped when I don't know how good/bad/indifferent the individual players were.

Did anyone watch Lazio v Cagliari? Was Cagliari's win due to them being well set up to deal with a 4-3-3 formation, or was it just a totally horrible game by Lazio?

Also, I can't believe how man people are totally dismissive of our opponents. Cagliari are on an excellent run and have outplayed Inter and Lazio in recent weeks. This is not an easy game. No doubt it is the same people who thought Udinese would be a walk in the park, despite them having a very talented group of players.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Did anyone watch Lazio v Cagliari? Was Cagliari's win due to them being well set up to deal with a 4-3-3 formation, or was it just a totally horrible game by Lazio?
I watched the match. The ball possession on that match was probably 70-30 in Lazio's favor, but Lazio's defense was the worst i've seen in a long long time. 4:4 or 5:5 would have been a fair result on that match, but Lazio, even though they created chances with ease, somehow managed to miss all of them, including two penalty kicks.

But i must say that Cagliari's ball movement is something that can rarely be seen in serie A. Their counters are amazing.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Fair enough.

I was just wondering if that game could stand as a reason to not play 4-3-3 against Cagliari, but probably not.

CORVETTE

Malato di Juve , , 29
Oct 13, 2005
I convocati per il Cagliari. Rientra Del Piero

Dopo l’allenamento sul campo di Vinovo, Ranieri ha stilato l’elenco dei convocati per la partita casalinga contro il Cagliari. Rispetto a Udine, rientra Del Piero. Ha recuperato anche Tiago, che è stato convocato come Zanetti, ma per quest’ultimo bisognerà aspettare l’allenamento mattutino pregara per capire se potrà essere disponibile. Assente invece Giovinco, che nel corso della gara al Friuli aveva rimediato una botta alla caviglia.

Ecco l’elenco dei convocati:

1 Buffon
3 Chiellini
4 Mellberg
6 Zanetti
8 Amauri
9 Iaquinta
10 Del Piero
11 Nedved
12 Chimenti
17 Trezeguet
18 Poulsen
19 Marchisio
21 Grgyera
22 Sissoko
28 Molinaro
29 De Ceglie
30 Tiago
32 Marchionni
33 Legrottaglie
42 Pinsoglio

No Giovinco and Camo .

olkiller

Sep 9, 2002
I'm deeply suspicious of formations without natural width in them, especially when playing an inferior team at home. It just goes against my idea of how it is best to play, so I'm never going to be in favour of a system like the one you suggested.

I would start with, more or less, our normal 4-4-2 and make changes to it as becomes necessary. I didn't see the Udinese game, though, so I'm not about to demand people are dropped when I don't know how good/bad/indifferent the individual players were.

Also, I can't believe how man people are totally dismissive of our opponents. Cagliari are on an excellent run and have outplayed Inter and Lazio in recent weeks. This is not an easy game. No doubt it is the same people who thought Udinese would be a walk in the park, despite them having a very talented group of players.
It was a totally horrible 1st half by Lazio, a lot of terrible mistakes and they also missed 2 generous penalties.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
He was rested as he had a slight injury.
the guy from al jazeera (speaking with altopelli and cesare maldini) said that del piero probably fought with ranieri (remember fiorentina's game when he was mad he was substituted) and the "we are resting him" is just to shut the media up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)