[Serie A] JUVENTUS 2-1 Fiorentina (25-Oct-2011) (2 Viewers)

frzl

Apr 15, 2006
He did great, but missed three 100% opportunities? Only in Juventus.
maybe you should read my post again and try to understand it this time.
i said: "...otherwise he did really well...", "...did really, really well to get into these great finishing positions..." NOT "wow pepe played so great. best game ever1111" -> "(very) good game altogether"

furthermore: three 100% opportunities -> lol, just lol.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Notice how it was more about the venue than the system and more about the players we used in a system than the system itself. We were clueless in all our away games no matter the formation (Siena was 4-4-2/4-2-4 while the other two were a two natural wingers one striker formations). At home we created a lot no matter the formation. That Parma game was a 4-2-4 that changed to 3 men midfield in the 2nd half and we scored 2 goals with both formations on that match. Against Bologna we created tons of chances with a player less. Against Milan we dominated with 4-3-3 (one striker), against Genoa we scored two but were vulnerable at the back with 4-4-2 and then Fiorentina yesterday.
You can notice that we had bad games, be it at the back or with our realization up front, no matter the formation.
Yesterday's system was the most balanced and in long run it will work imo both against defensive and more attacking teams. This formation has a finisher, it has another natural striker who can build up play well, cover the left wing and find himself in chances and it offers the required protection for the defense. Yesterday's system had the right players. The only change that might happen in the future is Krasic to find his form and replace Pepe, but as of now this is the best starting XI choice and formation that we can do. I think we should keep it instead of experimenting all the time. Change it only if it won't give the wanted results in more than two matches in a row.
I'm not talking about our general play or vulnerability in defense. Games are won when goals are scored and goals are scored when opportunities are made. Parma were already beat by the time we switched to the three man midfield and against Milan we may have dominated but didn't created clear cut chances. We were just crowed out up forward. I'm talking about chances to score and even in the Siena match we probably had more clear chances than we did in the Milan game despite dominating general play. I guess we're going to have to wait and see but if I were Conte I wouldn't be willing to undergo so much trial and error this long into the season. Its easy to say yesterday was the perfect formation like we all said 4-1-4-1 was after the Milan match and then realised we'll have trouble scoring with those tactics no matter how much possession we have.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
maybe you should read my post again and this time try to understand it.
i said: "...otherwise he did really well...", "...did really, really well to get into these great finishing positions..." NOT "wow pepe played so great. best game ever1111".

furthermore: three 100% opportunities -> lol, just lol.
But you can't say its a good performance if he misses three clearcut opportunities to score. He worked hard, as he always does - that's it. If we had an effective right wing I think we would score much more.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I think the possession for 1st half was 70% - 30% to our favor - so Viola were hardly a team that wanted to score against us. The 4-3-3 is awesome, we just need a bit more movement from midfield and Vucinic to stop changing the formation into a 4-3-1-2. He needs to stay wide instead of going in field and virtually blocking the midfield movement.
You can tell what teams want to win against us simply by their positions in the league, quality etc. Not to mention they're a huge rival of ours. The distinction between what teams will hold back and defend against us and what teams will intend to score and win is easy to make. We just didn't allow them to have possession because our midfield was so dominant. And you're right. Vucinic should remain as predictable as possible....

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Notice how it was more about the venue than the system and more about the players we used in a system than the system itself. We were clueless in all our away games no matter the formation (Siena was 4-4-2/4-2-4 while the other two were a two natural wingers one striker formations). At home we created a lot no matter the formation. That Parma game was a 4-2-4 that changed to 3 men midfield in the 2nd half and we scored 2 goals with both formations on that match. Against Bologna we created tons of chances with a player less. Against Milan we dominated with 4-3-3 (one striker), against Genoa we scored two but were vulnerable at the back with 4-4-2 and then Fiorentina yesterday.
You can notice that we had bad games, be it at the back or with our realization up front, no matter the formation.
Yesterday's system was the most balanced and in long run it will work imo both against defensive and more attacking teams. This formation has a finisher, it has another natural striker who can build up play well, cover the left wing and find himself in chances and it offers the required protection for the defense. Yesterday's system had the right players. The only change that might happen in the future is Krasic to find his form and replace Pepe, but as of now this is the best starting XI choice and formation that we can do. I think we should keep it instead of experimenting all the time. Change it only if it won't give the wanted results in more than two matches in a row.
:tup:

This.

frzl

Apr 15, 2006
But you can't say its a good performance if he misses three clearcut opportunities to score. He worked hard, as he always does - that's it. If we had an effective right wing I think we would score much more.
mh i think i can. it's not only that he ran a lot. because of his running (and other factors of course) we were able to completely ruin their game in the first half. that wasn't all vidals and marchisios work. he also did well to cover when lichtsteiner got forward. that + good passing + some great runs + great (but lucky) assist = 6.5+ imo, although he missed out on two very good chances (it wasn't a clearcut scoring opportunity when he missed the ball).
milito in 2010 would have scored twice i guess... but still those weren't easy goals to score :)

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
A very good performance in the first half, but we lack a killer instinct in front of goal. We should've killed the game off inside the first 45 minutes, but instead we went in only 1-0 up, switched off in the first 15 minutes of the 2'nd half, allowed the purple rats back into the game, and then managed to squeeze out a 2-1 victory.

Pepe is wasteful, even though he works hard. If we are to deploy 4-3-3, we need another Vucinic type player on the right wing, someone who oozes creativity, can beat his man, and put in decent crosses regularly. Pepe is simply not that type of player, and although he had a decent game, he wasted 2 goalscoring opportunities (notwithstanding the fact that he got into good positions) and the fact that he laid that pass to Matri to score the 2'nd goal, had more to do with grit and determination to prod that pass through, more so than any latent skill or ability he possesses.

We ran few risks, got the result we needed, and that is all that matters. The movement was good, and we created opportunities, but we need to be more clinical, less wasteful, and alert at all times.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
You can tell what teams want to win against us simply by their positions in the league, quality etc. Not to mention they're a huge rival of ours. The distinction between what teams will hold back and defend against us and what teams will intend to score and win is easy to make. We just didn't allow them to have possession because our midfield was so dominant. And you're right. Vucinic should remain as predictable as possible....
You are babbling, Alen made that point quite clear. And I didn't say predictable, so please don't put words in my mouth. He stood still infront of our midfield for too long yesterday, that is what I think.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
Whatever Pirlo does, works. His positives clearly cancel his negatives.

Most of our goals this season are masterminded by this man. He has 3 assist, and most of the other goals start from him where he's able to create space and show his unique creativity.

I love what he does, and I hope he keeps on doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)