[Serie A] Juventus 1-2 Catania, Dec 20th, 2009 (35 Viewers)

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Nope. We need Alex next to Trezeguet. And we need to stick with the 4-3-1-2 formation until we can play it well and not change from one system to the other on every game.
Thing is.. we only ever played well when we played with 1 striker. Camo's injury just made things easier for Ferrara, as he won't start youngsters. We'll see Diego behind 2 strikers, and probably struggle, even against Catania.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Thing is.. we only ever played well when we played with 1 striker. Camo's injury just made things easier for Ferrara, as he won't start youngsters. We'll see Diego behind 2 strikers, and probably struggle, even against Catania.
Actually we did not. But even if we did, we should not play with it.

The only way we can play with one striker is to play with 5 in the midfield, aka 4-2-3-1 AND the only way we can play with this formation is to start Giovinco, Diego and Camoranesi in every single game (which is not logical). And now since Camoranesi is injured it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to play 4-2-3-1 because Del Piero will be totally ineffective playing on the sides of the midfield with defensive responsibilities and same goes to Diego.

Trezeguet should start with either giovinco or Del Piero next to him. And if it is Del Piero then Giovinco should play behind them and Diego to be rested. 4-3-1-2 is a very balanced formation that OUR SQUAD was built around it. Lets just stick to it till the players know how to play with it at least before changing the formation on them.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Actually we did not. But even if we did, we should not play with it.

The only way we can play with one striker is to play with 5 in the midfield, aka 4-2-3-1 AND the only way we can play with this formation is to start Giovinco, Diego and Camoranesi in every single game (which is not logical). And now since Camoranesi is injured it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to play 4-2-3-1 because Del Piero will be totally ineffective playing on the sides of the midfield with defensive responsibilities and same goes to Diego.

Trezeguet should start with either giovinco or Del Piero next to him. And if it is Del Piero then Giovinco should play behind them and Diego to be rested. 4-3-1-2 is a very balanced formation that OUR SQUAD was built around it. Lets just stick to it till the players know how to play with it at least before changing the formation on them.

We didn't? IMO we did, those 3 games were very enjoyable to watch and we scored plenty of goals. We looked good for a brief moment in time.

Like I said, the current situation is reason for Ferrara not to go back to it, that's assuming he'd even consider it with everyone fit. Giovinco would play on the left, Diego in the middle and Rossi/Esposito on the right. Trez being our striker, e voila, the 4-2-3-1 is born. It's really not impossible, just highly unlikely at this point.

Del Piero wouldn't be able to play in a 4-2-3-1, but Diego would be alot better, as he'd have more support next to him, we've seen that in those games. He needs players around him to function, to spread play. It was a joy to watch him link up with Camo and Gio when they teamed up behind a striker.

I'm not saying we should just swap and stick to the 4-2-3-1, benching Del Piero for the rest of the season, but I don't see why we can't atleast try it out in a moment in which we struggle through every single minute of every game.

I agree that in a 4-3-1-2 Trez should be our main striker, with either Del Piero or Giovinco next to him, but I don't like the idea of Giovinco behind the strikers. I didn't like it when we tried him in that position before, also because he lacks some physical strength. If teams manage to completely cancel out Diego in that position, they will be able to do so with Gio.

Just my 2 cents :D

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
We didn't? IMO we did, those 3 games were very enjoyable to watch and we scored plenty of goals. We looked good for a brief moment in time.

Like I said, the current situation is reason for Ferrara not to go back to it, that's assuming he'd even consider it with everyone fit. Giovinco would play on the left, Diego in the middle and Rossi/Esposito on the right. Trez being our striker, e voila, the 4-2-3-1 is born. It's really not impossible, just highly unlikely at this point.

Del Piero wouldn't be able to play in a 4-2-3-1, but Diego would be alot better, as he'd have more support next to him, we've seen that in those games. He needs players around him to function, to spread play. It was a joy to watch him link up with Camo and Gio when they teamed up behind a striker.

I'm not saying we should just swap and stick to the 4-2-3-1, benching Del Piero for the rest of the season, but I don't see why we can't atleast try it out in a moment in which we struggle through every single minute of every game.

I agree that in a 4-3-1-2 Trez should be our main striker, with either Del Piero or Giovinco next to him, but I don't like the idea of Giovinco behind the strikers. I didn't like it when we tried him in that position before, also because he lacks some physical strength. If teams manage to completely cancel out Diego in that position, they will be able to do so with Gio.

Just my 2 cents :D
You cannot base your main formation on that the same players play all games. We don't have the squad to play 4-2-3-1 but we do have the squad to play 4-3-1-2. For a formation to be effective the team has to adapt well to it. And the team cannot depend on 4-2-3-1 because if one of the 3 players is not around (a.k.a camoranesi at the moment) this formation becomes useless. While in 4-3-1-2 the "1" position can be occupied by 4 of our players (maybe not effectively similar but at least they can get he job done if the main player, a.k.a, is not available). In addition we have so many DM/CMs not to use. Tiago, Sissoko, Melo, Poulsen, Marchisio along with De Cegli who can play as an LM.

More over, with 4-2-3-1 you are saying Del Piero will never play in his position. Call me a biased, but Del Piero is one of our strongest assets in the squad and you just want to leave him out? Maybe he is off form because he hasn't played for such a long time, but still, once he's back he is our best player.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Benching Diego is a stupid idea IMO
Its laughable to read people saying We Need To Keep Possession, through suggesting a formation without Diego, who is very clearly our finest player on the ball. I'm with Kyle on this one...and whoever else thinks its lunacy to drop our best player ON THE BALL.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Interesting game. Let's hope we manage to score more than once and keep a clean sheet.

Moreover, I hope we can maintain possession and play at pace. Is this even possible? It should be; I mean, we are up against Catania, of all teams!

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Its worrying that we have had only 5 clean sheets in 16 league games so far. Hopefully Manninger will solve this like he did last season. Our defense seems to go to sleep when Buffon is in goal, expecting him to save their asses all the time. When Manninger is in goal, they seem to be a little bit more careful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)