[Serie A] Chievo 0-0 JUVENTUS (16th October, 2011) (61 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
This Juventus is useless in attack if our wide players continue to offer such little threat and creativeness. Krasic's form is horrible, his confidence must be at an extreme low, given how often he's stopping the ball and turning round to pass it to Lichtsteiner instead of taking on players like he did this time last year. Giaccherini looked quite lively but had limited time, and Estigarribia barely got in possession. Pepe was probably the best one with that one good cross to Del Piero, and his shot which forced a (rare) save out of Sorrentino. It's obvious we'll not create many chances against organised teams that have a pragmatic approach if the wide players continue like this. It's not like our fullbacks can chip in with a good cross either. Pirlo was often left with the responsibility of creating something from in our own half, and had to resort to closer options.

On the other hand, this Juventus is useful in defense if we continue to allow the opposition next to nothing in chances (on a semi-consistent basis). I do like how solid Lichtsteiner, Barzagli and Chiellini are. It feels like Giorgio is still coming across to the centre to cover for Bonucci though. I also liked Marchisio, Vidal (last 30 minutes especially) and Del Piero today.

Regarding formation, I'm not against a three man central midfield, I think it can be successful, but I'd rather Juventus tried playing with two forwards if that's the case, it would be good for Vucinic to have a role where he can start deeper and take on defenders. Something like the below, to have two players that have a focus on goal.

Winger-Matri-Vucinic​

Chievo played well to keep a draw though, only Del Piero was an honest threat. And to be honest, a left back remains high up on my list of things this team needs, someone to match Lichtsteiner on the right, so we can move Chiellini and Bonucci to where they belong.
+rep

Buy on AliExpress.com

YasoR17

Mirkofan #1
Jul 4, 2008
Buffon 6
Lichtsteiner 6
Bonucci 5
Barzagli 6
Chiellini 5,5

Krasic 3,3467
Marchisio 6,5
Pirlo 6
Vidal 6
Pepe 6,5

Vucinic 6

Giaccherini 6,5
Del Piero 6
Estigarribia ...

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
This Juventus is useless in attack if our wide players continue to offer such little threat and creativeness. Krasic's form is horrible, his confidence must be at an extreme low, given how often he's stopping the ball and turning round to pass it to Lichtsteiner instead of taking on players like he did this time last year. Giaccherini looked quite lively but had limited time, and Estigarribia barely got in possession. Pepe was probably the best one with that one good cross to Del Piero, and his shot which forced a (rare) save out of Sorrentino. It's obvious we'll not create many chances against organised teams that have a pragmatic approach if the wide players continue like this. It's not like our fullbacks can chip in with a good cross either. Pirlo was often left with the responsibility of creating something from in our own half, and had to resort to closer options.

On the other hand, this Juventus is useful in defense if we continue to allow the opposition next to nothing in chances (on a semi-consistent basis). I do like how solid Lichtsteiner, Barzagli and Chiellini are. It feels like Giorgio is still coming across to the centre to cover for Bonucci though. I also liked Marchisio, Vidal (last 30 minutes especially) and Del Piero today.

Regarding formation, I'm not against a three man central midfield, I think it can be successful, but I'd rather Juventus tried playing with two forwards if that's the case, it would be good for Vucinic to have a role where he can start deeper and take on defenders. Something like the below, to have two players that have a focus on goal.

Winger-Matri-Vucinic​

Chievo played well to keep a draw though, only Del Piero was an honest threat. And to be honest, a left back remains high up on my list of things this team needs, someone to match Lichtsteiner on the right, so we can move Chiellini and Bonucci to where they belong.
Good post, Sal. :tup:

Glad to see people are recognizing one of our main weaknesses is coming from our wings.

tpain

Apr 8, 2008
To be honest, Chiellini natural position was a left-back. He was brought in as a sub for zambrotta in early 2000. I think having him as a left-back will make our backline extremely strong. reason being, he is physically very strong and a great header. most of the wingers are very bad at heading/jumping. With chiellini marking them. They would have absolutely no chance of winning/receiving any aerial ball. Most of the fullbacks are often bad jumper/header, we are very lucky to have chiellini as a fullback :) besides, i think he is more suited for fullback as he is full of stamina and grit. plus the fact that he loose concentration sometimes, which is more dangerous if he is a CB.

am0110

Jun 5, 2005
our wingers are pure shit, thats why we will always struggle to score against teams like Chievo.Catania was another great example.When we play against Chievo and likes, we need to start with two strikers because wingers are so one dimensional and without any idea how to create scoring oportunity.Two word for our wingers-attacking shit

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
No one was connecting to them because they weren't crossed to them...hell, if you can't pick a man out with a cross then float it in and hope someone runs onto it.

There is no intelligence in our crossing into the box. Look at DP...header clear on goal and hits the post because of a good cross. That's all it takes. Send those kinds of balls to the head of Mirko or Matri and see what happens.
Who were they supposed to cross to? Most of the time the only option seemed to be Vucinic and four Chievo defenders and besides, Vucinic doesn't have any physical presence in those situations. He's no lone striker. Even if he played well against Milan he didn't find himself in scoring positions often enough. I said this hours before todays game that its not enough to have a lone striker who holds up the ball so that the midfielders can score. The midfielders should be assisting the strikers not the other way round.

As for introducing the 4-3-3 I'm not so sure I'm for it. Simply because we know two systems that work against two different types of sides. Moreover, the three man midfield seems to overcrowd space against defensive sides. I thought we tried the 4-3-3 briefly against Catania if memory serves and the same problems presented themselves as they did against Chievo. Our midfielders had no space and the middle striker was still being bullied. The 4-1-4-1 is a quasi 4-3-3 anyhow so I don't see the stark differences between the formations that would improve us.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I really hope he doesn't go to Inter.

Btw, saw some guy at one of my classes wearing an Inter jersey with Adriano. I felt like cracking up in his face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 61)