[Serie A] Cagliari - Juventus (1 Viewer)

OP
The Arif

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    Serie A Week 19 - 16/1/04 (20.30)
    Cagliari-Juventus

Gianfranco Zola takes on the auld enemy as Juventus come to visit on-form Cagliari in a tough test of their Scudetto credentials.

Zola has had many a battle with the Bianconeri over the course of his career, as Parma and Juve challenged for the Scudetto, UEFA Cup and Coppa Italia during the 1990’s. Now he represents his homeland and will be a key figure in this encounter, even if the veteran has been repeatedly substituted by Coach Daniele Arrigoni. It is a situation Alessandro Del Piero can sympathise with, as he has been replaced 17 times in 18 official games this season.

Cagliari’s home form has been key to their success, both in Serie B and now that they have returned to the top flight, with 20 of their total 25 points picked up at the Stadio Sant’Elia. The only team to have conquered Sardinia so far has been Milan in Week 6, so Fabio Capello has his work cut out for him.

The Turin giants may have been crowned the Winter Champions a round early thanks to Milan’s slip in Sicily, but the 4-2 victory over troubled Livorno highlighted growing problems in defence and especially midfield, where Manuele Blasi was sorely missed. It’s hoped the ex-Perugia man can be fit enough to start this tie, as the pace of Antonio Langella and Mauro Esposito can be deadly.

Cagliari (probable): Iezzo; Lopez, Bega, Maltagliati, Agostini; Abeijon, Brambilla, Gobbi; Esposito, Zola, Langella

Juventus (probable): Buffon; Zebina, Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta; Camoranesi, Emerson, Blasi, Nedved; Ibrahimovic, Del Piero

Ref: To follow...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Zalayeta and Trezeguet both played 90 minutes against Atalanta so Del Piero and Ibrahimovic should resume their partnership on Sunday. It'll be interesting to see who Capello starts next to Emerson in central midfield and how DP will respond to the return of Trez.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    Treze Treze Treze ..i miss that big lump... i think by two or 3 matches he would already picked where he left and become Juventus's top (sometimes 'only' ) scorer ..:excited:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Atalanta - Siena Sun
    Brescia - Fiorentina Sat
    Cagliari - Juventus Sun
    Chievo - Roma Sun
    Lazio - Palermo Sun
    Livorno - Messina Sun
    Milan - Udinese Sun
    Parma - Lecce Sun
    Reggina - Inter Sat
    Sampdoria - Bologna Sun

Milan will host Udinese, this is gonna be great game, hope Udinese to draw atleast.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    i am sure instead of complaning that Capello always subs a certain attacker everymatch before, most people will urge Capello to continue that policy now that Del Piero will only get playing time from the bench :p

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Trezlatan should definitely be the starting duo when everyone is 100% fit, but I think it would be better for Del Piero to start this one.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by chxta ] ++
    Erm, maybe I am being too ambitious, but Udinese will beat Milan.
    They did last season. And I think were the only Serie A team to do so ... that is until the Scudetto was already locked up.

But I'm hoping for a draw. An Udinese win seems a bit ambitious...

Geof

May 14, 2004
    yeah, Forza Udinese! they have a great team and I'm sure they can do somthing in San Siro.

Meanwhile, we shouldn't count on Udine's performance but concentrate on this match.

There are no easy matches in SeriA, and certainly not this one. Our most important players were rested, so they have no excuse. The Atalanta game is already forgotten, and the Trez comeback (and his goal) will boost our confidence. Now there's a real competition in front between DP Zlatan and Trez, they know they have to perform in every match to play the next one.

Noone suspended or injuried?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)