[SERIE A] Cagliari - Juventus (21st September, 2008) (6 Viewers)

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Has Iaquinta ever played well for us when he starts from the beginning? I only remember him performing well as a sub.
He did, but he played his best football when he started twice in a 3-man attack with Trez and Del Piero last season. (both matches vs Roma).

He also played great in Coppa Italia last season where he started 4 games. I'll try to remember more games.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
21 September 2008 Juventus.com

Juve win again thanks to Amauri

It's 1-0 week: after Udinese and Zenit, Juventus won at Cagliari too with the same result, thanks to an Amauri goal, but the defence did their part too, Manninger imitating Buffon to save on Matri near the end. The Bianconeri now have seven points and are already top of the League, the same as Inter Milan, who play later tonight. On Wednesday the next test, against Catania at the Olimpico.
The first long period without Trezeguet began today. Del Piero, Camoranesi, Zanetti and Zebina were also unavailable. Ranieri chose Amauri and Iaquinta up front for the match at Cagliari, coming between the ones against Zenit and Catania. Marchionni replaced Camoranesi. Grygera, Legrottaglie and Poulsen were rested. Salihamidzic, Mellberg and Marchionni played instead. Molinaro was selected over De Ceglie.
The fears before the match, remembering how the two games went last year, proved to be well-founded. Cagliari still had no points and played an open game, forcing the Bianconeri's defence to work hard on more than one occasion. The game could've had a turning point early on, but Amauri's goal was disallowed by referee Brighi, who saw a Iaquinta foul.
Buffon had a tougher afternoon than expected, especially because he suffered a muscle injury after just a few minutes. The keeper put on a brave face, and resisted the whole first half, proving decisive, especially on a Matri volley. With the half-time break approaching, Juve got their goal. Marchionni crossed from the left, Iaquinta controlled the ball and set up Amauri, whose shot was as spectacular as it was effective: it was the second goal from the Brazilian in one week and the half ended 1-0.
Only 20 of the 22 players that had started the match came on for the second half: Buffon was forced to leave and leave his place to Manninger, who made his official debut. On the other side, Acquafresca replaced Larrivey. Iaquinta had a chance, Bianco was booked, and then there was another substitution. Ranieri tried Tiago for Sissoko. Allegri replied putting on Jeda for Fini, with Cagliari aiming to try all they could to score.
But the Bianconeri had the best chances, twice with Iaquinta scissor kicks and then with a long-range shot by Marchisio, who was later booked; Ranieri then took the young midfielder off – who was also injured -, replacing him with De Ceglie. The hosts never gave up and Jeda was the most dangerous man, with Manninger having to save on him twice. But the Austrian keeper's true masterpiece save came in the 90th minute, on a Matri volley - a save that was as important as the goal by Amauri. So Juve fly to the top of the League, thanks also to their new players' contribution.

for some believing it was something else

2008/09 Serie A – Day 3
Cagliari, Sant’Elia Stadium
Sunday September 21th 2008
CAGLIARI-JUVENTUS 0-1 (0-1)
GOAL: Amauri 39.
CAGLIARI: Marchetti; Pisano, Lopez, Bianco, Agostini; Fini (Jeda 62), Biondini, Cossu; Parola (Lazzari 78); Matri, Larrivey (Acquafresca 46). Subs not used: Lupatelli, Astori, Matheu, Burrai. All. Allegri.
JUVENTUS: Buffon (Manninger 46); Salihamidzic, Mellberg, Chiellini, Molinaro; Marchionni, Sissoko (Tiago 59), Marchisio (De Ceglie 74), Nedved; Amauri, Iaquinta. Subs not used: Knezevic, Legrottaglie, Rossi, Giovinco. Manager: Ranieri.
REFEREE: Brighi from Cesena.
YELLOW CARDS: Bianco 47, Marchisio 66.

Jun 13, 2007
Because people always manage to see only the black side and focus on that. Today we didn't play creative, attacking, fantastic football, we didn't destroy Cagliari, we didn't see Giovinco, Ranieri didn't make spectacular subs and he didn't give a spectacular post match conference.
How are we supposed to play attacking, creative football when our creative players aren't even playing, Alex, Camo, Zanetti, Giovinco. The team fielded out there consisted of zero creative players, did you honestly think they ere going to play attractive football. Have some common sense FFS.

Yes, we didn't see Giovinco, and like I said, we won't be seeing him in the old-fashioned 4-4-2. However, with Trez out injured, he may find a place among the strikers in a support striker position. Possibly behind Amauri when Ale needs a rest. We'll wait and see.

I think people are too obssessed on seeing Giovinco play that they are forgetting about the other Juventino's that are getting the job done out there. Surely, they deserve respect. Especially Nedved, it's his last year with us and he's playing like it's his first.

Oh, and who the fuck cares about what Ranieri has to say after the game. He's a coach not a politician.

May 22, 2007
What are you all whinning about? Giovinco will get his chance sooner or later, have some patience FFS. De Ceglie has played in every game from the past thre matches and yet people here are still convinced he isn't going to get a chance this season.
Totally agreed. The season has just started and people are crying over him not playing.

3pts and top of the table. Thanks.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
How are we supposed to play attacking, creative football when our creative players aren't even playing, Alex, Camo, Zanetti, Giovinco. The team fielded out there consisted of zero creative players, did you honestly think they ere going to play attractive football. Have some common sense FFS.

Yes, we didn't see Giovinco, and like I said, we won't be seeing him in the old-fashioned 4-4-2. However, with Trez out injured, he may find a place among the strikers in a support striker position. Possibly behind Amauri when Ale needs a rest. We'll wait and see.

I think people are too obssessed on seeing Giovinco play that they are forgetting about the other Juventino's that are getting the job done out there. Surely, they deserve respect. Especially Nedved, it's his last year with us and he's playing like it's his first.

Oh, and who the fuck cares about what Ranieri has to say after the game. He's a coach not a politician.
Well said.

Geof

May 14, 2004
We won, we got the 3 points, that's what matter in the end. However, it's not hard to see there are a number of major points to improve.

1. Molinaro. Seriously, I hate bashing players and I won't be as harsh as some of you, but this guy doesn't have the level to be a LB starter for us. His attacking game is poor at best, his crosses are awful(although he has improved compared to a year age; let's say they went from disastrous to subpar), and his defensive game is very average to insecure. Today he made a horrible pass to no one inside our box, this would've been a goal against a better team.

2. The midfield. Sissoko had an off-day, that can happen, no worries there but with half a Sissoko and no Camo our midfield was pretty invisible. Marchionni was much better than expected and Marchisio showed some good stuff but neither of them has the shoulders to boss a Juventus midfield. Nedved was clearly too tired; Tiago had an OK performance.

Regarding Giovinco I refer to this very good post:

Molinaro playing instead of De Ceglie is a major mistake. With this i agree. Even if he planned to give De Ceglie full 90 minutes against Catania, Ranieri can go fuck himself for playing Molinaro.

But you're being too harsh on him about Giovinco and in this case i do think you're drama queens.
First of all, your accusations prior to today's match were groundless. You guys threw rocks at Ranieri for not playing Giovinco and not putting him even on the bench against Udinese and Zenit.
Yesterday Giovinco himself said that he had an injury and that only now he's ready to play.

About today, i agree that Giovinco could have started this match. But you all forgot that Amauri, Sissoko, Iaquinta, De Ceglie made their serie A debuts for Juve as subs. Ibrahimovic under Capello, Del Piero under Lippi etc...all of them debuted as subs.
I guess the coaches wanted to take it slow by giving them limited playing time at the start and let them earn more playing time, while in the meantime the "veterans" are the ones who play.
I can't prove it but i'm pretty sure that Ranieri did plan to introduce Giovinco later in the game. Unfortunately some things that weren't planned happened. Buffon's injury, Sissoko's very poor performance and Marchisio's injury. We only had an 1:0 lead, we controlled the game pretty well in the second half and we didn't want to risk another Fiorentina.
After Ranieri subbed Buffon and Sissoko (with a reason) it would have been too much if he subbed Marchisio with Giovinco. That way we'd have had Amauri, Iaquinta, Giovinco, Marchionni, Tiago and tired Nedved in midfield/attack. None of them was able to defend well. Playing with 6 attacking minded players (+ Molinaro), with only 10 minutes till the end, while leading only 1:0....... i also wouldn't have taken such a risk.
As for MoM, you can see I voted Marchionni. IMO he was the only midfielder who actually made an impact in the first half. Amauri probably deserves the MOM award more, but Marco deserves a special mention. Let's hope he can stay injury free, so we can have a decent alternative to Camo.

memo

Nov 18, 2005

agree agreee
but still i wanted to se giovinco

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Amauri IS the clear and away man of the match though. Marchisio and especially Nedved getting votes :howler:
I was discussing that with Faraz, and I think he is right, Del Piero has a new competition, Amauri can't be the man of the match! I feel the hate already :D

DiDoz

Jun 23, 2007
Molinaro playing instead of De Ceglie is a major mistake. With this i agree. Even if he planned to give De Ceglie full 90 minutes against Catania, Ranieri can go fuck himself for playing Molinaro.

But you're being too harsh on him about Giovinco and in this case i do think you're drama queens.
First of all, your accusations prior to today's match were groundless. You guys threw rocks at Ranieri for not playing Giovinco and not putting him even on the bench against Udinese and Zenit.
Yesterday Giovinco himself said that he had an injury and that only now he's ready to play.

About today, i agree that Giovinco could have started this match. But you all forgot that Amauri, Sissoko, Iaquinta, De Ceglie made their serie A debuts for Juve as subs. Ibrahimovic under Capello, Del Piero under Lippi etc...all of them debuted as subs.
I guess the coaches wanted to take it slow by giving them limited playing time at the start and let them earn more playing time, while in the meantime the "veterans" are the ones who play.
I can't prove it but i'm pretty sure that Ranieri did plan to introduce Giovinco later in the game. Unfortunately some things that weren't planned happened. Buffon's injury, Sissoko's very poor performance and Marchisio's injury. We only had an 1:0 lead, we controlled the game pretty well in the second half and we didn't want to risk another Fiorentina.
After Ranieri subbed Buffon and Sissoko (with a reason) it would have been too much if he subbed Marchisio with Giovinco. That way we'd have had Amauri, Iaquinta, Giovinco, Marchionni, Tiago and tired Nedved in midfield/attack. None of them was able to defend well. Playing with 6 attacking minded players (+ Molinaro), with only 10 minutes till the end, while leading only 1:0....... i also wouldn't have taken such a risk.
No offense, but this is by far your silliest post, maybe you were kidding and I didn't get it

Actually we're supposed to be more creative than Zenit's game, as Marchisio is more creative than Poulsen, the same with Marchionni to Salih and Salih to Grygera

Our midfield is way stronger than theirs and we should have created more chances and won by more than one goal, instead we kept throwing long balls and playing slow boring and ugly football, eventually we won, but with this mentality we'll probably lose others

Yes I'm one of those desperate to see Gio playing, as I believe he can play a major role for Juve in the future, neglecting him can push him away, especially when he's wanted by many clubs

OK we got our 3 points, but there were some negative points and we shouldn't neglect them, like those who yell Ranieri rocks when we win and Ranieri sucks when we lose

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
We won, we got the 3 points, that's what matter in the end. However, it's not hard to see there are a number of major points to improve.

1. Molinaro. Seriously, I hate bashing players and I won't be as harsh as some of you, but this guy doesn't have the level to be a LB starter for us. His attacking game is poor at best, his crosses are awful(although he has improved compared to a year age; let's say they went from disastrous to subpar), and his defensive game is very average to insecure. Today he made a horrible pass to no one inside our box, this would've been a goal against a better team.

2. The midfield. Sissoko had an off-day, that can happen, no worries there but with half a Sissoko and no Camo our midfield was pretty invisible. Marchionni was much better than expected and Marchisio showed some good stuff but neither of them has the shoulders to boss a Juventus midfield. Nedved was clearly too tired; Tiago had an OK performance.

Regarding Giovinco I refer to this very good post:

As for MoM, you can see I voted Marchionni. IMO he was the only midfielder who actually made an impact in the first half. Amauri probably deserves the MOM award more, but Marco deserves a special mention. Let's hope he can stay injury free, so we can have a decent alternative to Camo.
Guys u know that its ramadan right, obviously he is fasting so ofcourse he wont play that good.

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
Lets just be happy with the win, and the fact that marchisio and de ceglie are getting involved more and more. Giovinco will get his chance soon.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
No offense, but this is by far your silliest post, maybe you were kidding and I didn't get it
I wasn't kidding and i don't know if you got it or not, but it's true that the coaches choose not to put their new players (unless they are proven stars), especially the younger players, directly into the fire. They like to introduce the young players slowly and to go step by step.
Usually they start by giving them 15-20 minutes as subs, when the team is leading and there is no pressure. Then it's up to the players to take their chance and earn their place in the starting XI.
Ranieri was doing that with most of the new signings.

Zaim

Dec 1, 2007
Guys u know that its ramadan right, obviously he is fasting so ofcourse he wont play that good.
I totally forgot that Momo was a muslim. So this is the first time this season in which he fasted during a match. The other matches were in the evening.

How come the Iaquinta goal was disallowed? I saw it but couldn't quite figure out what was wrong. thanks
It was Amauri with the disallowed goal. I think the ref saw a foul earlier by Iaquinta I think.

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
I wasn't kidding and i don't know if you got it or not, but it's true that the coaches choose not to put their new players (unless they are proven stars), especially the younger players, directly into the fire. They like to introduce the young players slowly and to go step by step.
Usually they start by giving them 15-20 minutes as subs, when the team is leading and there is no pressure. Then it's up to the players to take their chance and earn their place in the starting XI.
Ranieri was doing that with most of the new signings.
I don't know, Marchisio played a full game against Artmedia, Nocerino was our starter last season pretty fast and furthermore, both Giovinco and De Ceglie had had their debuts with Juve before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)