[Serie A, 20th round] Udinese 0-4 Juventus [17th January, 2016, 15:00 CET] (5 Viewers)

Udinese 0-4 Juve - 17-Jan-2016 - MoM

• Dybala

• Khedira

• Sandro

Results are only viewable after voting.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Nesta vs Cannavaro is and always will be a never ending debate, just like Messi vs Ronaldo, Del Piero vs Baggio, Pele vs Maradona etc.

But since Canna played 3 seasons in our colors and reached his peak with us I believe we should be biased towards him a little bit.
Put it this way, we made an offer for Nesta before we did Cannavaro, and he chose Milan.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tanu_Mz

Jan 5, 2014
Latest from Vinovo (TJ)
Team from last sunday more or less confirmed; will pick up from following alternatives Licht/Cuadrado, AS/Evra, Caceres/Rugani and Manzu/Morata. Everybody else will stay (Marchisio back of course)

OP
Marc

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
  • Thread Starter #123
    he was the nesta, barzagli kind of player: read the game very well, anticipated most moves, but he was also a good runner with pace. the game was not so physical, so i cannot tell how he would perform nowadays, but i imagine a faster barzagli who even passes better than our own barza. he was all coolness. also, he hasn't been dismissed for his entire career, and that says something about an italian defender.

btw scirea formed a perfect pair with gentile, who was like a montero on steroids, $#@!ing brutal, did the dirty job. like a montero-ferrara a couple of years later: the good and the bad, only missing the ugly. gentile was the reason why my friends at that time hated italian football. they were all over maradona, zico and ze germanz, i preferred italy and platini back then.
    Thank you. +rep

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
    Put it this way, we made an offer for Nesta before we did Cannavaro, and he chose Milan.
    This is only partly right way of evaluating the facts.We get Cannavaro for free giving Inter our third goalkeeper and Nesta was among the most expensive transfers from Lazio to Milan.Something above 20 mi or more .I am not sure that we were so eager to get him for that amount ,so maybe "money talk" language was preferred more by involved sellers than Nesta's personal chose .

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
    Latest from Vinovo (TJ)
    Team from last sunday more or less confirmed; will pick up from following alternatives Licht/Cuadrado, AS/Evra, Caceres/Rugani and Manzu/Morata. Everybody else will stay (Marchisio back of course)
    So, Asamoah and Pereyra are unavailable... :scared:

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Exactly :tup: Both were great, but I'm suprised to hear there is doubt of which one was greater. Besides WC, Canna had nothing on Nesta.

- - - Updated - - -

This is only partly right way of evaluating the facts.We get Cannavaro for free giving Inter our third goalkeeper and Nesta was among the most expensive transfers from Lazio to Milan.Something above 20 mi or more .I am not sure that we were so eager to get him for that amount ,so maybe "money talk" language was preferred more by involved sellers than Nesta's personal chose .
    You seem to be confused, both of them moved in summer of 2002, we bid on both (and we had no issue paying these sums btw, we did it summer before and that same summers, these were italian calcio royalty we were trying to get), got neither obviously due to the Milano clubs. Cannavaro moved quite expensively to Inter too (tho Nesta cost more, nearly 10m more), we got him 2 years later, which is another (hilarious) matter in itself.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
    :disagree: L. Thuram, F. Cannavaro > Nesta
    It was the reverse, broseppi. Can argue who was better between Thuram and Cannavaro (peak Canna was better than peak Thuram, but Thuram was more consistent, didn't have the 2 yrs Canna had with Inter), but Nesta was better than both. He was the best CB of his generation.

what about mr. elegance, mr. consistency, scirea? i'd pick him over any of cannavaro, thuram, nesta, maldini, facchetti, beckenbauer, baresi, cabrini, or whoever comes to my mind.
    Of the CB's: Beckenbauer > Baresi > Scirea > Nesta > Thuram > Cannavaro

Only last two are arguable. If Beckenbauer played today, he'd be a midfielder.

FBs (will include Thuram here too): Maldini > Facchetti > Thuram > Cabrini

Again, the ranking of the last two are debatable, could argue it's the reverse.

he was the nesta, barzagli kind of player: read the game very well, anticipated most moves, but he was also a good runner with pace. the game was not so physical, so i cannot tell how he would perform nowadays, but i imagine a faster barzagli who even passes better than our own barza. he was all coolness. also, he hasn't been dismissed for his entire career, and that says something about an italian defender.

btw scirea formed a perfect pair with gentile, who was like a montero on steroids, $#@!ing brutal, did the dirty job. like a montero-ferrara a couple of years later: the good and the bad, only missing the ugly. gentile was the reason why my friends at that time hated italian football. they were all over maradona, zico and ze germanz, i preferred italy and platini back then.
    Brio (the CB-stopper, was simply called the "stopper") was the bad, Gentile (RB-stopper, the "terzino destro") was the ugly. ;)

Scirea was an extraordinary human being too. Most footballers aren't good role models IMO, but Scirea definitely was.

Don't think that's how it went down. We simply couldn't afford Nesta's transfer fee. Nesta might have had a preference, I don't remember, but that was the primary reason.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    There is no discussion here.

Cannavaro had 2 great seasons with us, and had an outstanding worldcup
    When cannavaro went over 34, he was severely decaying and the spanish league was too much for him, playing at real madrid

Nesta, was known in italy hating europe, and excessively italy hated belgium, as "the best central defender in the world" for more then a decade.
    When Nesta was 37, he manmarked Messi completely out of the game each time they faced each other.

Cannavaro cant even fucking tie Nesta's boots.

- - - Updated - - -

It was the reverse, broseppi. Can argue who was better between Thuram and Cannavaro (peak Canna was better than peak Thuram, but Thuram was more consistent, didn't have the 2 yrs Canna had with Inter), but Nesta was better than both. He was the best CB of his generation.

Of the CB's: Beckenbauer > Baresi > Scirea > Nesta > Thuram > Cannavaro

Only last two are arguable. If Beckenbauer played today, he'd be a midfielder.

FBs (will include Thuram here too): Maldini > Facchetti > Thuram > Cabrini

Again, the ranking of the last two are debatable, could argue it's the reverse.

Brio (the CB-stopper, was simply called the "stopper") was the bad, Gentile (RB-stopper, the "terzino destro") was the ugly. ;)

Scirea was an extraordinary human being too. Most footballers aren't good role models IMO, but Scirea definitely was.

Don't think that's how it went down. We simply couldn't afford Nesta's transfer fee. Nesta might have had a preference, I don't remember, but that was the primary reason.
    Did you know Maldini was a juventus fan, and had a juventus poster (i think of scirea) in his bedroom ?

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    No. I like him even more now.
    There is a good docu about him i recently found on youtube. It was kinda by chance that he actually followed trough to milan.

Why ? He was so impressed by the 1978 azzurri side wich had so man juventus players in it

- - - Updated - - -

About juventus starts at 1:40

- - - Updated - - -

Correction, the poster was about Bettega :D

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
    There is a good docu about him i recently found on youtube. It was kinda by chance that he actually followed trough to milan.

Why ? He was so impressed by the 1978 azzurri side wich had so man juventus players in it

- - - Updated - - -

About juventus starts at 1:40

- - - Updated - - -

Correction, the poster was about Bettega :D
    Nice. I actually watched that docu (the whole series) but somehow missed that or don't remember.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I remember it from the time, he thought it would offend Lazio fans more to go to Juventus. There was also some issue with Alessandro Moggi being his agent, which the FIGC dragged into an issue.

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
    Exactly :tup: Both were great, but I'm suprised to hear there is doubt of which one was greater. Besides WC, Canna had nothing on Nesta.

- - - Updated - - -

You seem to be confused, both of them moved in summer of 2002, we bid on both (and we had no issue paying these sums btw, we did it summer before and that same summers, these were italian calcio royalty we were trying to get), got neither obviously due to the Milano clubs. Cannavaro moved quite expensively to Inter too (tho Nesta cost more, nearly 10m more), we got him 2 years later, which is another (hilarious) matter in itself.
    All I am saying was that ,maybe wasn't only Nesta's will which decided to go to Milan crucial for his transfer. I think Lazio have some involvement in that departure to Milan .Other than that I know that we didn't have any problems to pay his transfer money price tag.Doesn't matter at the end .He went there and that's it .

Lancelot

Oct 24, 2011
    Cannavaro defansive performance during the WC2006 are probably the best WC performance of all time. He was like a bull, absolutely unbeatable. As the tournament was progressing he was only getting stronger and stronger.
    But his peak lasted only 2-3 years.

On the other hand Nesta was more consistent, and he was on the same level for 10 years.
    Cannavaro at his best was better than Nesta at his best. But Nesta was more consistent.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
    May 27, 2009
    Cannavaro defansive performance during the WC2006 are probably the best WC performance of all time. He was like a bull, absolutely unbeatable. As the tournament was progressing he was only getting stronger and stronger.
    But his peak lasted only 2-3 years.

On the other hand Nesta was more consistent, and he was on the same level for 10 years.
    Cannavaro at his best was better than Nesta at his best. But Nesta was more consistent.
    Yup.

A better comparison would be between Nesta and Bonucci.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)