[Serie A, 20th round] Fiorentina 2-1 JUVENTUS [15th January, 2017] (5 Viewers)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Half of the season is gone already and we don't really know our best 11 yet.

That fact says enough on it's own about this season.
The disturbing thing is that the 11 Allegri fielded against Fiorentina was pretty close to our best 11 if Pjanic was there instead of Sturaro. Buffon, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Cuadrado, Khedira, Marchisio, Sturaro, Sandro, Dybala, Higuain.

Fiorentina played very well but Juventus was sub par to say the least. The fact that the game had zero momentum - 42 fouls is massive. We were not able to get any kind of momentum. Would have to go down as one of the most frustrating games I have ever seen.

This is not about having the right team. Its about not having the right intensity for these kind of games. Dybala had another off game - he should have buried that chance and we should have at least gained a point. I have yet to see both Dybala and Higuain BOTH on song at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

The disturbing thing is that the 11 Allegri fielded against Fiorentina was pretty close to our best 11 if Pjanic was there instead of Sturaro. Buffon, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Cuadrado, Khedira, Marchisio, Sturaro, Sandro, Dybala, Higuain.

Fiorentina played very well but Juventus was sub par to say the least. The fact that the game had zero momentum - 42 fouls is massive. We were not able to get any kind of momentum. Would have to go down as one of the most frustrating games I have ever seen.

This is not about having the right team. Its about not having the right intensity for these kind of games. Dybala had another off game - he should have buried that chance and we should have at least gained a point. I have yet to see both Dybala and Higuain BOTH on song at the same time.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I'm not one to determine that. Doesn't change the fact that some are overreacting and going a bit silly with their comments again.
You will have that here no matter the result. The thing is, we've been playing poorly pretty much all season even when getting positive results. Sure, one could say "well if we had a full, healthy squad...," but that doesn't seem like it's going to be happening anytime soon, and even then maybe it wouldn't even matter. As it stands, we look horrific and are only one point at the top (though with a game still to play). I'd say it's warranted to be a bit worried or upset with the state of our club at the moment. We arguably have not looked more vulnerable since winning our first Scudetto after getting back to Serie A.

I'm not trying to go after you specifically or anything like that, I just don't get the whole "OLOL FURUM MELTDWN" everytime people get upset with a run of results.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
This game showed all our weaknesses. Our lack of motivation, our groundless arrogance, the lack of creativity and grinta in our midfield. Fiorentina weren't even that good, we were that bad. We need to change. Come on Allegri, we need to change something radical in our playing style.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Arrogance and disgusting technical performance.

We are needing more wake up calls this season compared to the previous ones.

I recon this is what happens if the entire media acts like you'll win without any trouble

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
I wouldnt only say this loss was down to midfield, our defence were also really bad. I would like to know the stats of Chiellini, he lost the ball so many times, misplaced so many passes its unreal.
Barza was also really bad.
Alex Sandro came back from injury so we couldnt expect much, but Cuadrado once again showed we can rely on him this season.
Why was Rugani benched when he was our best defender for a few weeks?
Why is Sturaro starting when Rincon gives this team much more quality. Stu and Chiello on the left were a disaster they couldnt keep ball for more than 2 seconds.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004

I think we know our best 11, it's in a 4312:

Buffon
Alves bonucci chiellini Sandro
Khedira Marchisio Sturaro
Pjanic
Higuain Dybala

The issues is that Sturaro and Khedira are in our best 11, and they should t even really be worthy of our bench.

The lack of attention the management payed to our midfield is a disgrace. People say Pjanic is a pogba replacement but the two are hugely different players. Pjanic is less physical and more technical. Pogba was box to box, Pjanic is an advanced playmaker.

The worry is that there is nothing we can do to improve until summer. We need a box to box player in the pogba/Vidal/naingollan mound and we need them badly. That has to be our priority.

We also seemingly need a right wing back as the management are ridiculously not retaining lichtstiener

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
It has been like this all season.

Chiellini humslef said we feel weaker than before. Its all for everyone to see. Is really worrysome.

Something got seriously fuked up in our summer planning. Now we need to wait the end season to seriously overhaul the team (again) and look at a future far away from the conte 352 and our old guard.

A big switch in style of play is needed.
Meanwhile if we continue playing like this which is very likely we will drop the scudetto and fail to make the history of winning a 6 in a row.I am not thinking a CL at a second.That competition is for big boys.And it's just a matter of time if we continue like this, when Alegri will lose his head completely.

sgjuveboy

Oct 31, 2012
Totally agree. I don't see how we are going to purchase a quality btb midfielder and expect them to gel into the team at this point of the season.

With so many softies in midfield (khedira and pjanic) we can only ensure that pjanic is played only in an advanced role and khedira should play as little as possible.

I really believe Lemina Sturaro Rincon should all be ahead of Khedira in the selection. Marotta really didn't perform well this season in terms of transfer

Higuain - a big improvement for attack
Alves - a small improvement for FB
Cuad- a small improvement for FB
PJANIC - no improvement for midf
Rincon- no improvement for midf

Pogba- huge loss
Vidal - huge loss
Tevez - huge loss
Morals - huge loss
Pirlo- small loss

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012

- - - Updated - - -

:agree: So true.And that Dubala chance is like the one he had against Milan at Supercoppa.He is playing hot-cold and vice-versa.One game he shines then he fades .And yes they were very brutal against us on every tackle but that's not an reason why we lost.A lethal combination of a pussy tactics and light jogging of our players at the pitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now im feeling a mixture of being perplexed and dissapointed. I mean, we made kalinic look like he was the second coming of Batistuta. How is that Even possible

Exactly,but Kalinic always scores against us.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Totally agree. I don't see how we are going to purchase a quality btb midfielder and expect them to gel into the team at this point of the season.

With so many softies in midfield (khedira and pjanic) we can only ensure that pjanic is played only in an advanced role and khedira should play as little as possible.

I really believe Lemina Sturaro Rincon should all be ahead of Khedira in the selection. Marotta really didn't perform well this season in terms of transfer

Higuain - a big improvement for attack
Alves - a small improvement for FB
Cuad- a small improvement for FB
PJANIC - no improvement for midf
Rincon- no improvement for midf

Pogba- huge loss
Vidal - huge loss
Tevez - huge loss
Morals - huge loss
Pirlo- small loss
Funny guy.

Vidal -> Khedira&Rincon
Pogba -> Pjanic
Morata -> Higuain
Tevez -> Dybala
Llorente -> Mandzukic
Lichtsteiner -> Dani Alvez
Evra -> Alex Sandro

May 26, 2016
Watched the game for a second time.

Rundown:

Problems:

Nervosity

We look extremely shaky playing out from the back: Fiorentina is pressing us high. Still, we try to play out from the back, but keep giving the ball away, often looking for a long ball thats misplaced, or a backpass to Buffon, who has to send it over the throw in line after being pressed by Fiorentina attackers. This happens several times.

Its all exemplified by Sturaro who sends a simple backpass to the free throw line instead of passing it back to Barzagli.
not convincing, to say the least.

Concentration:

we make a lot of sloppy clearances, often directly to a Fiorentina player. They win 75% of the 50/50 duels, if not more. They seem a lot more focused and much more composed than us.

Offensive Rythm:

We look clueless going forward. Higuain is ruled out for offside several times after running after crosses that are fed behind the Florentine backline without any real intent. Frustrating.

Astori easily dispossess Dybala in the middle of the Park. He tries to dribble past the midfield directly towards the central defenders without any luck.

Fiorentina, on the other hand, look very lively:

Bernardeschi is pulling trickery in the middle of the park and is playing between our lines with ease.

Vecino is a great attacking threat and is giving us problems.

Kalinic's hold up play gives us all sort of problems.

Defending:

Our backline makes an awful lot of mistakes. unusual. often because they are pressured to the point where they have to whack the ball away. Our midfield is not giving them enough options.

They really struggle with Kalinic. He drags them wide, and takes the ball down with ease. should not happen this easily, but it does.
Time and time again.

Finishing:

two huge chances: first Higuain, then Dybala. We need to be more deadly if we want to win these matches.

Mentality:

We don't press aggressive or work hard enough to win back the ball. We make stupid fouls, and spend a lot of time complaining to the referee. Dissapointing.

Positives:

Higuain: : keeps on scoring and Looks in good shape. Unlucky to not score another one, but should head it somewhere else than directly at the keeper. Nevertheless, does his job well, which is promising.

Pjaca: Comes into the game and gives us more positives. Unlucky not to receive a penalty after a great run. The intent and potential is truly there. Needs to continue to work on his game and he will be a big hit for us.

Summary:

A game we should learn from and forget as soon as possible. All in all, piss poor performance, especially from our veterans that usually are so balanced/solid in these types of matches. We look like a serie C team at times and this kind of performance can only be described as totally unacceptable.

Allegri should field the 11 that gives everything for the team, is in form and is best prepared for the match.
Yesterday it did not look like he did.

Hopefully we take a deep look at ourselves in the mirror and work our asses off to improve.

As for the midfield situation, there is really no more room for playing Sturaro and khedira together in a competetive match.

They offer nothing creative and is truly destructive to our teams chances to win games.

We bought Rincon, and hopefully Alllegri fields him more in the future.

May we face our next game with more grinta and some real intent.

Forza Juve. Sempre.

:flag3::vidal:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Funny guy.

Vidal -> Khedira&Rincon
Pogba -> Pjanic
Morata -> Higuain
Tevez -> Dybala
Llorente -> Mandzukic
Lichtsteiner -> Dani Alvez
Evra -> Alex Sandro

I agree. Our team is weaker than it was in the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 seasons. The aura of invincibility is gone. On the other hand if we could improve our midfield we could be even better. Unfortunately that would require getting players the level of Verratti and I'm not sure how feasible that is for our board, seeing as they are quite cautious financially.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)