Serie A 2017/18 (19 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Max would've able to keep even last year Milan in a conversation for CL, and this year he would've been at least battling with Inter. Montella had a decent roster, but he fucked it up, team confidence shot, and with Gattuso it's only downhill from there.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 10, 2009
He played 29 matches, had 14 goals and 12 assists, missed almost all of the last games when the championship was pretty much Milans anyways. If you asked me what gave Milan that Scudetto, I'd list two factors: agent Benitez destroying a perfectly capable Inter and Ibra being dominant
Not true. Ac Milan effectively won the league on the 2 April 2011, when they beat Inter Milan 3-0. Ibrahimovic didn't even play that game, and Inter were either one or two points behind them.
People underestimate Allegri's contribution, but he was one of the reasons.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Not true. Ac Milan effectively won the league on the 2 April 2011, when they beat Inter Milan 3-0. Ibrahimovic didn't even play that game, and Inter were either one or two points behind them.
People underestimate Allegri's contribution, but he was one of the reasons.
I don't think anyone disagrees with that. I just think that Allegri's job was much easier with Ibra completing his already WC attack and Benitez completely fucking up

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Berlusconi and Galliani destroyed AC Milan years ago, however I can think of three of key turning points that cemented their fate.

1. The sale of Shevcheko [2006]
Although they went on to win the CL the following year, this masked the problems they were having. The sale of Shevchenko ushered a new era of lacklustre signings, managers changing often, overreliance of players who were clearly past it, selling their key players etc. The brilliant Allegri helped them win the league in 2011, however again, this masked deep problems that the club had. Allegri's Milan were really average in reality.

2. Leonardo leaving the club [2010]
Leonardo was AC Milan's greatest scout, it was he who got them the likes of Kaka and was a key assist to the club. Problem is, Leonardo was not fit to be manager. Berlusconi thought otherwise, and after selling their best player, he put the blame on Leonardo for not winning the league.

3. The sacking of Allegri [2014]
The reality is, that Allegri's AC Milan was incredibly average. Aside from Ibrahimovic and Silva, the rest of the squad was filled with has beens and mediocre players. [Pirlo an acceptation, but he too needed a new challenged.] In 2012, AC Milan decided to sell their own two world class players, yet Allegri still managed to finish third and made SES and Ballotelli look like superstars. But even Allegri could not save this dire Milan, and soon he was made the scapegoat. Since Allegri, no manager lasted more than one season.
Selling a 30 year old Sheva for £30 million was the best deal for Milan

The only problem Milan had was they were too loyal to their old guard of players and didn't move them on when they were still worth something to rejuvenate the team

The Berlusconi money dried up so they relied on loans and out of contract players to sign for free

They didn't revolutionise with the changing football economy and failed to make Milan self sufficient

They were a lot of people's second team and had a huge following similar to Barcelona in the Guardiola years but not to that extent

Berlusconi missed his chance to make Milan a brand when he had the chance to

Just miss managed completely from around the mid 2000's

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

The only problem Milan had was they were too loyal to their old guard of players and didn't move them on when they were still worth something to rejuvenate the team

The Berlusconi money dried up so they relied on loans and out of contract players to sign for free

They didn't revolutionise with the changing football economy and failed to make Milan self sufficient

They were a lot of people's second team and had a huge following similar to Barcelona in the Guardiola years but not to that extent

Also Berlu and Galliani continuously chose flashy and marketable signings over what the team actually needed, spent all of their money on attack basically

Mar 10, 2009

You're missing the point, the sale of Shevchenko issues a new era. Since then they began to purchase fodder (with rare exceptions), and slowly but surely became a selling team.

Shevcheno being passed it is something we got to know it hindsight, to Milan fans, this was them loosing their main man.

Mar 10, 2009
Also Berlu and Galliani continuously chose flashy and marketable signings over what the team actually needed, spent all of their money on attack basically
Well if the rumours are true, part of the problem was that Berlu used to force the managers to play a specific style. Many managers have come out and states he forced them to play attacking football, and switch to tactics that wasn't suited for the squad they had.

If you look at the Juve Renaissance, we never really spent that much money to begin with. Had AC Milan spent their money wisely they could have done the same.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Well if the rumours are true, part of the problem was that Berlu used to force the managers to play a specific style. Many managers have come out and states he forced them to play attacking football, and switch to tactics that wasn't suited for the squad they had.

If you look at the Juve Renaissance, we never really spent that much money to begin with. Had AC Milan spent their money wisely they could have done the same.
Agnelli takes most of the credit here. It's really down to his leadership that the club pulled itself out of the pits.

ADP1897

Apr 17, 2014
Well they also spent a lot for midfielders and defenders, even if it was not well planned (or planned at all :D) At Galliani's years they'd have spent literally 90% on attack
When you got a great defender and loyal player, like Maldini, Nesta, Costacurta, etc,..
You don't need to keep shuffle your defence, their policy kinda worked out imo.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
When you got a great defender and loyal player, like Maldini, Nesta, Costacurta, etc,..
You don't need to keep shuffle your defence, their policy kinda worked out imo.
Costacurta finished his Milan career in 2007, Maldini in 2009, 2005/06 was the last time Nesta played over 40 games in a season.

In spite of their great defenders/midfielders declining and not being reliable due to injuries, from 2005 to 2015/16 every time Milan spent anything over 10m euros, it was for an attacker, mostly CFs. In 2005 Milans big signing was Gilardino, in 2006 Ricardo Oliveira, in 2007 Pato, 2008 Ronaldinho, 2009 Huntelaar, 2010 Robinho, 2011 Ibra and ElSha, 2012 Balotelli and Pazzini, 2013 Matri. 2015/16 was the first time in a decade Milan spent anything noteworthy signing a defender and midfielder in Romagnoli and Bertolacci. And even then they continued spending their not so large amounts of available cash on Bacca, Destro, Luiz Adriano, Lapadula..

Knowing how most of those attackers turned out, this list is even more glorious :lol: I'm not sure I'd be able to pick the biggest flop between Gilardino, Oliveira, Huntelaar, Robinho, Matri, Pazzini, Destro..

ADP1897

Apr 17, 2014
Costacurta finished his Milan career in 2007, Maldini in 2009, 2005/06 was the last time Nesta played over 40 games in a season.

In spite of their great defenders/midfielders declining and not being reliable due to injuries, from 2005 to 2015/16 every time Milan spent anything over 10m euros, it was for an attacker, mostly CFs. In 2005 Milans big signing was Gilardino, in 2006 Ricardo Oliveira, in 2007 Pato, 2008 Ronaldinho, 2009 Huntelaar, 2010 Robinho, 2011 Ibra and ElSha, 2012 Balotelli and Pazzini, 2013 Matri. 2015/16 was the first time in a decade Milan spent anything noteworthy signing a defender and midfielder in Romagnoli and Bertolacci. And even then they continued spending their not so large amounts of available cash on Bacca, Destro, Luiz Adriano, Lapadula..

Knowing how most of those attackers turned out, this list is even more glorious I'm not sure I'd be able to pick the biggest flop between Gilardino, Oliveira, Huntelaar, Robinho, Matri, Pazzini, Destro..
Gilardino, Robinho, and Pazzini was justified.
The rest you're right..

Sorry, i tought you're talking about berlusconi/galliani entire legacy at milan..

Since they keep change fw since old dutch 3 days... but the defence prettymuch the same.

The most i can remember is the weah years

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)