Sebastian Giovinco (31 Viewers)

Would you bring Giovinco back next season?

• Yeah, we could use him

• Nope, get rid of him

Results are only viewable after voting.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I've been to one this year so far, and I've seen the majority of them on TV this year. The quality of play is very poor, but compared to others who have moved from Europe, Giovinco is dominating more than any other, including Thierry Henry when he first moved over.
I'd probably argue the quality of play in general in the league has improved a bit since Henry as well. Albeit not as much as the average MLS fan thinks...
Do you get a better feeling when you watch Giovinco than other DPs in Toronto's past? I always liked Giovinco's character. I think he's embracing Toronto nicely. He has a really good attitude to adapt to the MLS IMO. I don't think he puts on a big ego display like Defoe. I find it impossible not to root for him and I'm watching TFC again.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 3, 2014
Do you get a better feeling when you watch Giovinco than other DPs in Toronto's past? I always liked Giovinco's character. I think he's embracing Toronto nicely. He has a really good attitude to adapt to the MLS IMO. I don't think he puts on a big ego display like Defoe. I find it impossible not to root for him and I'm watching TFC again.
Definitely.
The best before was Frings, but he was old and injury prone. Defoe was good when he started out, but he is a pure poacher, meaning he is useless when he isn't kicking the ball. Giovinco is something completely different. He is playing as a pure secondary striker with the team looking to get him the ball so he can take on defenders facing goal (vs. back to goal lol). As a result, he creates space, creates plays, finishes, is a huge threat from range (especially because MLS goalies are inept in positioning). He is also the first set piece threat that the team has ever had (Defoe took free kicks last year, nuff said).

In terms of numbers, Giovinco hasn't even played 1/3 of the season, and he has set the team record for assists in a year. So yes, he is easily the best DP ever for the team. TFC got lucky, they were able to find a player who is a legitimately good player for mid-table and Europa league teams, who longed to be appreciated so much that he settled for a terrible league.

Funny enough, I followed TFC loosely before but never liked them (I actually preferred the Impact due to the Italian presence of Di Vaio/Nesta). The team was always too EPL/English focused, which was a major put off. Getting Giovinco changed two things - 1) The Italian fan base, which previous felt alienated is now attending and very engaged, 2)It got them a player who in terms of playstyle is aesthetically unmatched at the moment.

So in short, yes: He is no doubt the best DP TFC has ever had, and given his position and impact on a game, he will make his team better, unlike Defoe whose play is entirely contingent on his service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)