Sebastian Giovinco (41 Viewers)

Would you bring Giovinco back next season?

• Yeah, we could use him

• Nope, get rid of him

Results are only viewable after voting.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Those sort of comments are because people think having ability, i.e. a certain level of technique or skill makes a good player. It doesn't, there is a lot more you need to succeed as a top player.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Those sort of comments are because people think having ability, i.e. a certain level of technique or skill makes a good player. It doesn't, there is a lot more you need to succeed as a top player.
True, but it still doesn't make sense for anyone actually following the player. I mean it's not like we didn't give him chances after chances since we bought him back. He's imply not Juve-material.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Toronto FC forward Jozy Altidore believes teammate Sebastian Giovinco could have been a factor for former club Juventus in Berlin.

"i think he's special. Every time he touches the ball, we get to the end of our seats and look forward to what could come out of that action. He's an exciting player — there isn't anyone like him in the league, and I'd venture to say there hasn't been anyone like him in the league. It's a joy to have him a part of our team, both as a person and a player."

"it's a shame for Juventus
," Toronto striker Jozy Altidore told Goal USA. "I would imagine if you have a player like him coming on in the second half today or at some point to help you, he truly can make a difference. I'm just happy he's here with Toronto, and I'm delighted to be playing with him."
:tuttosport: bring him back beppe, bring our messi back!

- - - Updated - - -

2 days ago
Danny Khalil
He is about the same level as morata maybe a little better. But nowhere near Tevez quality though.
mls fanboys :sergio:

wonder why barca or real did not at least try to get landon donavan? :boh:
this guy would have benched messi.

Mar 3, 2014
It's very clear to me that Giovinco could still be a good player on a Lazio/Fiorentina/Roma/Milan/Inter type team.
Heck, he'd probably even be a good player on a good EPL team (Liverpool for example). I have little doubt he could excel in a league with paltry defending such as the EPL, La Liga, or Bundesliga. Serie A just makes things difficult, especially when your coach makes you hold up play for the midfielders when you're 5 foot 5. Heck the MLS is basically EPL style defending, and while it is better, Giovinco looks like Messi in the MLS. I'm sure he'd look pretty solid in the EPL. That's not to say he'd be starting 11 on a Chelsea. Liverpool, yes... What I'm saying: He could probably start on teams that are one place removed from the elite: ie: Liverpool, Roma, Dortmund, Monaco, Tottenham, Valencia, Sevilla, Wolfsburg.
He couldn't start on: Manchester City, United (only by virtue of their attack heavy roster, Ogbonna would probably start for them), Bayern, Chelsea, PSG, Atletico, Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc.

I'm tempted to say he could start on Arsenal.

Here's an interesting way to think about things. He was a sub on the Champions League Runnerup, meaning he is at least in the conversation with players like Chicharito.

Mar 3, 2014
Why would he go? He's sitting on 10 mil a year!!! :lol:
Agreed, but his salary is definitely lower than that:
He's making ~$5.5 million USD per annum + a ton of bonuses ($500k-1MM).
Say he hits half of them...that is ~$5.75 million USD gross, which is ~€5.15 million gross & €2.4 million net (w/ Canada's tax rates).

My source here is very reliable.

- - - Updated - - -

That being said, those figures do not include a signing bonus, which is often customary in North America.

Mar 3, 2014
Never mind that, he's living his dream where everybody fawns over him as being the Messiah.
Yep...He is may as well be called Messi to MLS fans.

The real incredible part though is that nearly all (all but 1-2) of the goals he has scored have been highlight/play of the week quality. It really helps your reputation when you're scoring and every goal is extremely pleasing to watch.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Yep...He is may as well be called Messi to MLS fans.

The real incredible part though is that nearly all (all but 1-2) of the goals he has scored have been highlight/play of the week quality. It really helps your reputation when you're scoring and every goal is extremely pleasing to watch.
Do you go to Toronto games?

Mar 3, 2014
Do you go to Toronto games?
I've been to one this year so far, and I've seen the majority of them on TV this year. The quality of play is very poor, but compared to others who have moved from Europe, Giovinco is dominating more than any other, including Thierry Henry when he first moved over.
I'd probably argue the quality of play in general in the league has improved a bit since Henry as well. Albeit not as much as the average MLS fan thinks...

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
I've been to one this year so far, and I've seen the majority of them on TV this year. The quality of play is very poor, but compared to others who have moved from Europe, Giovinco is dominating more than any other, including Thierry Henry when he first moved over.
I'd probably argue the quality of play in general in the league has improved a bit since Henry as well. Albeit not as much as the average MLS fan thinks...
I don't think there's been much doubt that Giovinco has talent. Being so far above everybody else in the league allows him to really shine and he seems to be loving it. Having him there will help the league as defences will have to improve and learn how to shut him down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 41)