Sebastian Giovinco (11 Viewers)

Would you bring Giovinco back next season?

• Yeah, we could use him

• Nope, get rid of him

Results are only viewable after voting.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:tup:

And he's just not physically tough on the ball. Other small players who have gone on to be stars are tough on the ball, and have powerful legs, using their low height to advantage by running with an extremely low centre of gravity. Messi rarely dives, and frequently runs right through fouls because of this. As does Alexis Sanchez. Gio runs fairly upright for a short guy, and falls down every time someone touches him.

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Giovinco is also shorter than even most short players. I think he gives up 2 or 3 inches to even Messi and Sanchez.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
If he find the right team at the right time he can be a good player at a big club he has that sort of ability. I think he his next move will make or break him once and for all.
Giovinco does not have any sort of ability that would make him do stuff at top level.

Seriously, Italy is lacking a craptop of offensive players and rather then playing a tridente with el kebabos, fake pele and giovinco, Conte decided to field a 442 instead

Against the world class nation of whothefuckcarzerbeijan

He got 10 minutes. Lets drown in cum cause he got to run with the ball a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:

And he's just not physically tough on the ball. Other small players who have gone on to be stars are tough on the ball, and have powerful legs, using their low height to advantage by running with an extremely low centre of gravity. Messi rarely dives, and frequently runs right through fouls because of this. As does Alexis Sanchez. Gio runs fairly upright for a short guy, and falls down every time someone touches him.
he doesnt even need a touch to fall

His lack of existing quality is enough

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Giovinco is also shorter than even most short players. I think he gives up 2 or 3 inches to even Messi and Sanchez.
True. But even so he looks quite slight of frame compared to other short players who have done well. He just doesn't have the musculature to be playing as a forward. If he had more pace, maybe a winger... But I honestly think his best position would have been as a Treq/CAM, as it's one of the least physical positions in football, and suits a skilled and tricky but not incredibly fast player.

But Gio sees himself as a forward, and that will forever be his downfall in top flight football.

Insigne is another like this, and he's actually a cm shorter than Gio. These guys just aren't meant to be forwards, battling with big strong CBs. Deeper playing SS, or CAM/Treq are pretty much the only positions that suit them.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
His upper body strength is not great. I'd say his lower body is good enough. I've seen him in person quite a few times from like 2nd or 3rd row seats and his lower body is noticeably thick.

He's just not smart enough. He makes poor decisions in the box and doesn't always think fast enough. Even in the MLS he makes some decisions that are highly questionable (I have to say though, his talent really sticks out in the MLS. Noticeably more talented than anyone else on the pitch).

And ya, has some talent and is capable of a great shot, pass or FK here and there but he's not like a boy wonder or anything like that.

He's just a decent attacking player. Mid table material. The problem is he got so much hype as a Juve youth product and then he put up decent numbers at Parma. But we've seen a million times that numbers on mid table teams mean nothing. He's like the case of Immobile but to a higher degree.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
True. But even so he looks quite slight of frame compared to other short players who have done well. He just doesn't have the musculature to be playing as a forward. If he had more pace, maybe a winger... But I honestly think his best position would have been as a Treq/CAM, as it's one of the least physical positions in football, and suits a skilled and tricky but not incredibly fast player.

But Gio sees himself as a forward, and that will forever be his downfall in top flight football.

Insigne is another like this, and he's actually a cm shorter than Gio. These guys just aren't meant to be forwards, battling with big strong CBs. Deeper playing SS, or CAM/Treq are pretty much the only positions that suit them.
But Insigne is actually talented and knows how to use the talent he has. Despite beeing at trashtown, he allready had shown more then Giovinco

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
His upper body strength is not great. I'd say his lower body is good enough. I've seen him in person quite a few times from like 2nd or 3rd row seats and his lower body is noticeably thick.

He's just not smart enough. He makes poor decisions in the box and doesn't always think fast enough. Even in the MLS he makes some decisions that are highly questionable (I have to say though, his talent really sticks out in the MLS. Noticeably more talented than anyone else on the pitch).

And ya, has some talent and is capable of a great shot, pass or FK here and there but he's not like a boy wonder or anything like that.

He's just a decent attacking player. Mid table material. The problem is he got so much hype as a Juve youth product and then he put up decent numbers at Parma. But we've seen a million times that numbers on mid table teams mean nothing. He's like the case of Immobile but to a higher degree.
That's well said. Only one thing is missing to agree 100%, seeing Giovinco fail with another big club. What if he is outstanding in a club like Bayern Munich and fails in a club like Arsenal? I can see this happening. I think that the teams playing style can make him go up or down. Too bad the only big club for him was Juve.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
He was not good enough. How can you expect anything less from a player that is still in his prime and was playing in highest leagues. Then he comes to this soccer league. To him it's probably like playing in sunday league there.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The defending was poor, but not unlike anything you'd see in England.

I'm pretty sure Giovinco is the best player I've ever seen in MLS. He's just owning folks left and right.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure Giovinco is the best player I've ever seen in MLS. He's just owning folks left and right.
People are wrong in saying the opposition is poor. Sure, they aren't the best players Giovinco has ever faced. But the guy is still doing very, very well. It's not an amateur league.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008

Probably because the dude is in him prime, unlike the rest of the folks who went/are going there. It's good for the league I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)