Seagate vs. Western Digital vs. Maxtor (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well right now I have a Maxtor 160gb which is both quiet and solid. I used to be a WD man though, their drives are cheap and reliable.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I don't really recall noticing any differences using the brands, but i know that Western Digital drives are fairly decent, I used a Caviar most recently and i've got no problems with it

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
Western Digital.

I've used all 3 brands but i trust WD the most. I have 2 Western Digitals running right now (a 80 gig and a 120 gig) ... both have been trouble free.

OP

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    anybody here using Serial ATA connection? Im using it with my seagate and its really nice and clean looking (physically on the inside) they say it improves hdd perfomance, but i dont see a significant difference.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    I have a 100gb WD... dont have any complaints so i assume it's good, but then again, i havn't tried Maxtor.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
    anybody here using Serial ATA connection? Im using it with my seagate and its really nice and clean looking (physically on the inside) they say it improves hdd perfomance, but i dont see a significant difference.
    I'm ALWAYS behind on hardware issues. Can you explain to me what the difference is?

OP

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    http://www.serialata.org/about/index.shtml

Here check that out. As you can see, right now Serial ATA isnt that big, and only the 'newer' motherboards are supporting it. It's eventual goal is to replace the original Parallel ATA (that long think grey cable in computers for those of you who dont know). Eventually, Serial ATA floppy drives want to be made too. But you never know if something is gonna hit or not. There have been previous attempts to replace the old Parallel connection that all failed. Hopefully this one will hit big. It already is supported by most new motherboards in the market.

try this too even though its a little old:
    http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0BRZ/11_22/98977131/p1/article.jhtml?term=

The last page says it all.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Right. How do you use this thing? It's a point to point, connection, right? So you got a dozen sockets on the mainboard (instead of the two old ata plugs) or what? What about the drives, need adaptors to connect them with the new cables?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Hmm why would they wanna make ATA floppy drives? It's not like you store huge amounts of data on them anyway :sleepy: I'm assuming they'd make new media for said drives, no?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Hmm why would they wanna make ATA floppy drives? It's not like you store huge amounts of data on them anyway :sleepy: I'm assuming they'd make new media for said drives, no?
    1.5Gbps transfer rates for floppy drives, that's quite the overkill since you get what 300kb/s.. :D

OP

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Right. How do you use this thing? It's a point to point, connection, right? So you got a dozen sockets on the mainboard (instead of the two old ata plugs) or what? What about the drives, need adaptors to connect them with the new cables?
    Well, if you want to use SATA you have to buy a SATA HDD. They have a complete new connection method. From my understanding there is no converter from parrallel (ultra) to serial ata. The SATA hdd are generally 10 - 20 $ more expensive than your regular hdd. They have their own cables (which new Mother boards come with) Very nice cables by the way, slim and and compact. THere is no Master and Slave option, so each hdd has its own cable connection, which obvisouly results in better performance. They power connection cable is also new and you can get a converter for that one from the normal power supply 4 pin power to the new slim design of the same cable. I dont know if all of the SATA hdd have that new power supply connection, but my seagate does and it makes it look more compact and stylish.

gray

Apr 22, 2003

THere is no Master and Slave option, so each hdd has its own cable connection, which obvisouly results in better performance.
    I don't really understand this part. What would one do if they want to use it as a slave drive? And what do u mean by "each hdd has its own cable connection"? Don't all hdds have their own cable connection?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Well, if you want to use SATA you have to buy a SATA HDD. They have a complete new connection method. From my understanding there is no converter from parrallel (ultra) to serial ata. The SATA hdd are generally 10 - 20 $ more expensive than your regular hdd. They have their own cables (which new Mother boards come with) Very nice cables by the way, slim and and compact. THere is no Master and Slave option, so each hdd has its own cable connection, which obvisouly results in better performance. They power connection cable is also new and you can get a converter for that one from the normal power supply 4 pin power to the new slim design of the same cable. I dont know if all of the SATA hdd have that new power supply connection, but my seagate does and it makes it look more compact and stylish.
    You have to replace your old harddrives? :eek:

OP

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #17
    There is what the back of the HDD looks like. As you can see there is no jumer for slave/master settings.

If your m/b doesnt support Serial ATA RAID, then you can buy PCI cards that add the ports either internally or externnaly.

OP

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

I don't really understand this part. What would one do if they want to use it as a slave drive? And what do u mean by "each hdd has its own cable connection"? Don't all hdds have their own cable connection?
    No, alot of the time on parallel (actually most of the time when you have 2 hdd) you have both harddrives on the same cable line going into the Primary IDE slot of your M/B. CD-ROM and other drives go into the Secondary slot of the M/B. With Serial ata, each component has its own direct connection to the M/B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)