[SCO] Scottish Premier league 2015/2016 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
No great loss losing Jim Spence, not the most impartial broadcaster with his love for Dundee United.

Would have preferred Chris McLaughlin to have gone though.....

Not sure what to make of the "Glasgow bias" in sports reporting. There is no doubt whatsoever Celtic and Rangers get far more coverage but they also have far more fans than the other teams.

But if you look at the coverage when they aren't involved in seems to focused on Aberdeen, Dundee United or Hearts. Who I guess have the next highest fan bases. Take the Europa League qualifiers or bbc text commentary on an SPL match day that Celtic aren't playing there was/will be hardly any coverage of St.Johnstone or Inverness CT. There wasn't even anything for St. Johnstone's Europa qualifier other than a mention on the radio that a goal had been scored.

The question is should they be fair to all teams or try to please the most people?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It needs to be somewhere in between.

I very rarely rely on BBC Scotland for live coverage, but what bothers me is the chat around games.

On a Saturday, before and after the games (which is when I tend to hear coverage) they are far too quick to ignore the games that are happening that day or that have happened that day in favour of talking about something generally going on in Scottish football (which will inevitably be focused on Rangers or Celtic).

The quickest way to redress the balance to my mind would be to give far more time building up to games and doing post-match analysis as that will see focus split far more evenly across the clubs. At the moment the games finish at about 4:50 and by 5:15 they have already consigned the day's games to the past and are focused on background stories. That means those of us spending 10 minutes walking from the ground to the car before turning on the radio barely catch the little post-match coverage there is.

Use the midweek shows, when fans are not going to feel as compelled to listen to the drivel in order to get team news or interviews with managers, to do whatever they want with the coverage to placate the unwashed masses, but keep the Saturday coverage as narrowly focused on that day's/weekend's football as possible.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Why did Glasgow Rangers not take the oppurtunity at hand and start over in the English football system rather than the Scottish one? Haven't they been interested in switching for a long time?
I mean, if you're going to start over again you might as well do it to reach the EPL.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Because they were never interested in going to England and having to work their way up through the leagues.

They were/are arrogant enough to belief they'd just be welcomed with open arms into the top division.

But there hasn't been any word of moves to England for a long time, probably since they rioted in Manchester in 2008.

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
I can confidently predict that Aberdeen will give Kilmarnock an absolute thrashing at the weekend.

Why we gave Gary Locke a three-year contract I will never know...

shola

Feb 26, 2015
can understand why a UK league has never got past fan speculation, a UK league cup on the other hand would be a good thing especially for scottish clubs.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Don't know about Sunday until we get the game on Thursday out of the way and can gauge mood and energy levels.

Yeah, Locke did nothing to deserve that contract and his Hun select for this season looks terrible.

I expect Hamilton to finish bottom, but I'd probably be predicting Kilmarnock for the play-off spot at this point.

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
Even if it goes ET and penalties on Thursday, I think you'd have enough to beat Killie.

I'm a season ticket holder, and the Dundee game was 4-0 going on 10-0.

Haven't seen Hamilton yet, County looked ok at Celtic Park, think it's 2 from Accies, County and Killie for the bottom 2.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
can understand why a UK league has never got past fan speculation, a UK league cup on the other hand would be a good thing especially for scottish clubs.
Meh.

Gets spoken about now and then.

They tried to get something like that going in the 1970s, but it never took off:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Scottish_Cup

There's UEFA competition for playing teams from foreign countries, so it's not something I've any real interest in.

And the police would be absolutely dead against the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if it goes ET and penalties on Thursday, I think you'd have enough to beat Killie.

I'm a season ticket holder, and the Dundee game was 4-0 going on 10-0.

Haven't seen Hamilton yet, County looked ok at Celtic Park, think it's 2 from Accies, County and Killie for the bottom 2.
Yeah, I heard it was a real trouncing on Saturday.

Even if we have the energy to win on Sunday, I doubt we'll be interested in going for a big win rather than just doing enough.

I'm basing my Hamilton prediction on their form in the second half of last season and there being little change (that I'm aware of) to that team over the summer.

That they had over an hour against ten men against Partick and didn't win doesn't bode well for them.

I think County have put together a reasonably solid side now, so I'd expect them to have enough to stay safe.

shola

Feb 26, 2015
England isnt a foreign country though, how long do we have to be a union until people realize we dont live in the middle ages? its like the irish who hate the English and only the English for the actions of british soldiers. at the end of the day you have the biggest league (finacially) on your doorstep its time to stop being so proud and take advantage of it, like the welsh have in a way.

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
in what sense? i genuinely dont know, im not trying to antagonise you.
Scotland and England have separate international football teams (as do Wales and Northern Ireland) and have always maintained separate domestic leagues.

The first ever international fixture was between England and Scotland, so since (literally) the birth of football the two have been separate.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
In the sense that we exist as entirely separate nations with different FAs, different national teams and different domestic competitions.

I wasn't commenting on anything outside of football.

In football, Scotland is no more tied to England than any other nation.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Welsh domestic football is far worse than Scottish football.

You aren't making any sort of convincing argument for why we should be more like them.

shola

Feb 26, 2015
the 2 biggest welsh clubs in the english system are far more better off than any scottish club is, even if CELTIC makes the CL groups, i didnt realize i had to make an arguemnt, but theres one.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I don't see what point you've made.

If Celtic were in the EPL they'd be better off than they are now, but that won't happen because the English won't parachute them into the EPL and Celtic won't work their way up from the bottom of the English pyramid.

Do you think the top English clubs should break away and join a European Super League and ditch the EPL?

The top few English sides would be better off if that happened.

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
As expected really.

Aberdeen weren't at their best, but still comfortably the better side.

Killie looked slow and unfit, no excuse when Aberdeen had a midweek game.

The Dons were in second gear for most of it, but never any doubt about which team would win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)