[SCO] Scottish Premier league 2013/2014 (2 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Aberdeen v Twente at Pittodrie on Friday, which I will probably go to.

Means a return to Aberdeen for Theo Snelders, since he's Twente's goalkeeping coach.

Leighton may be Aberdeen's greatest ever keeper, but Theo is widely regarded as having been the best.

Attachments

HolyNo10

Jul 21, 2013
great to see such a thread in here! I am (sorry Red) a fan of Celtic so i follow the SPL every year.

Without the blue team from Glasgow (i cant say the name) again, but i think the champioship will be a lot better this season.

Aberdeen took a bunch of good players, so did Motherwell. Hibs tried for good signings but I think they are still far... The saints will be good this season. Very copetitive league for the europe qualifing places this year. The title stays at Parkhead of course :hi:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Nice 2-0 win against Twente tonight, in front of over 7,000 which ain't bad for a friendly.

Some interesting stuff in it:

Aberdeen started

Langfield

Shaughnessy-Hector-Reynolds-Robertson

Masson-Jack-Low

Hayes---Magennis---McGinn​

Only about half that team are first-choice players.

Anyway, Aberdeen set out with the intention of matching up to Twente and made a determined effort to mark up pretty much all over the pitch. That worked fine in terms of preventing Twente from making chances, but Aberdeen weren't managing to get or keep the ball playing like that.

So Aberdeen changed to

Langfield

Shaughnessy-Hector-Reynolds-Robertson

Hayes--Masson--Jack--Low

McGinn

Magennis​

Aberdeen also started to defend more zonally and that led to about ten minutes of Twente creating chances (mostly through crosses to untracked midfield runners), so Aberdeen were pretty fortunate to get to half time at 0-0, even though Aberdeen had a couple of good chances as well.

Robson and Pawlett came on for Masson and Low at half time, though the shape stayed the same.

Robson made a big difference both to Aberdeen's solidity and ball retention (I really don't think Masson is going to make it) and that, along with controlling the space between defence and midfield much better gave Aberdeen the platform to have more control over the game, even if Twente still had the ball for long periods. With McGinn playing close to Magennis, there was also the option to play longer and actually have a reasonable chance of retaining the ball.

There were times in the second half when Aberdeen's setup, with the defence staying pretty narrow and at least one winger dropping deep, reminded me of a Delneri system.

Some encouraging signs.

However, Aberdeen were okay at that sort of game (soaking up pressure and playing on the break) even in the last few seasons when they've been shit. It's games where Aberdeen will dominate possession and territory where there really needs to be an improvement on the last few seasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Aberdeen have declared their transfer activity to be over after the signing of Weaver (good move) and Hector (didn't look much use tonight).

Might be a kid or two going out on loan, but that'll be it.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
4-3-3

First XI:
Langfield

Shaughnessy-Anderson-Considine-Robertson

Flood--Robson--Jack

Hayes----Magennis----McGinn​

Backup:
Weaver

Murray--Hector--Reynolds--Clark

Smith--Masson--Low

Pawlett----Vernon----Wylde​

4-4-1-1

First XI:
Langfield

Shaugnessy-Anderson-Considine-Robertson

Hayes---Jack---Robson---Wylde

McGinn

Magennis​

Backup:
Weaver

Murray--Hector--Reynolds--Clark

Pawlett--Flood--Low--Smith

Vernon--Zola​

The two starting XIs look pretty strong to me.

Also have at least half a dozen good backups for each system, plus some kids who have proven themselves to varying extents.

If we have a reasonable season with regards to injuries and McInnes actually manages to give the team some sort of identity and pattern of play (which is where Brown utterly failed), we should be in decent shape.

Anyway, I don't think many people would dispute we look stronger than we did going into last season. I don't think there are many other teams in the SPL who that can be said of this season.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Hearts' unsecured creditors are likely to receive nothing in the event of an exit from administration via a company voluntary arrangement [CVA].

Total claims by club creditors amount to £28.4m, the bulk of which is owed to the collapsed Lithuanian companies of former owner Vladimir Romanov.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23521149

- - - Updated - - -

..."I think the story of last season, especially at Pittodrie, is that this is a solid team that struggles to score goals - all those 0-0 draws make that pretty obvious. That's why we need to make sure that, regardless of what the opposition do, whether they drop deep, play a high line, whatever, we have to make sure we have an answer to it.

..."All over the pitch, we can contribute more to scoring goals. Once you become a team that has got goals in you, then you have a chance, because that's the hard part. As a coach, it's easier to work with boys on organisation to keep goals out, so if you're scoring reasonably freely, you can have some optimism. We need to bring the ammunition from other areas of the pitch and the goals will come. I think we've gone a long way to doing that with the players we've brought in and the work we've done, but we've got it all to prove now."

..."This is a huge club, a one city club, there's massive potential, but the last three or four years have been pretty poor and that needs to be addressed. Quite rightly, the support feels a wee bit let down with what's gone on over the last few seasons, particularly at a time when smaller clubs have done so well without the resource that Aberdeen has.

..."For me, coming back to the point that good players and managers have underachieved here, you have to strip it all back because there have to be reasons why that has happened. I've said it before and I don't mind saying it again, there are loads of areas of this football club that are so well run, very slick, very professional, it's got a bit of class about it, and there's a lot to be proud of.

..."But also, some areas of the football department were running really well with good people but others were lacking, areas where we were clearly behind our competitors. I know that a lot of other clubs were better in some of those aspects than we were. That has changed now and though it is only a small part of the overall outcome, hopefully all these percentage steps forward will stand us in good stead. Our match analysis and our opposition analysis will be better, our scouting and recruitment will be better, our sports science side of things will be better, our training facilities, if they're still not perfect, they're better.

..."Getting so many new faces in before we started pre-season training was a big positive for us and you have to commend the club on doing that business. It settles the dressing room down, you can come in from day one and say, "This is us now" and get on with your work.

..."It's always dangerous to set too many public targets before the season starts because so many factors can influence things, especially if you are unlucky with injury for instance, or cup draws are especially unfavourable. Privately, we know what our targets are but more importantly, we know what our expectations are of the players, what demands we will put on one another."

- Derek McInnes

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20130731/redmatchday-derek-mcinnes-interview_2212158_3333565

:tuttosport:

Would be marvellous to have a coach who actually had proper plans for how to take charge of a game and make little adjustments depending on the playing style/weaknesses of the opposition.

Far too often last season I got the impression that I - despite bascially watching no SPL football that doesn't involve Aberdeen - had a better idea of how the opposition were going to play than Craig Brown did.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Yeah, impressive stuff, though I think this is an easier tie than the one they've come through against Rosenborg.

I suspect St. Johnstone are probably one of the few teams, along with Aberdeen, who feel that they are at least as strong as they were last season.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
First day of the season tomorrow, so here are some previews:

Scottish Premiership team-by-team preview

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/02/scottish-premiership-preview-celtic

SPFL preview: Time is right for Dons to end trophy drought

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/01/spfl-preview-time-is-right-for-dons-to-end-trophy-drought-3908349/

The new Scottish Premiership season - the fans' view

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23254312

- - - Updated - - -

My prediction of how things will look come the end of the season, for what it's worth:

1. Green Cunts

2-4. Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Motherwell, in no particular order, but I doubt it'd be St. Johnstone in second

5-7. ICT, County and Utd

8-10. Hibs, Kilmarnock, St. Mirren

11. Partick

12. Hearts (since they start on -15).

- - - Updated - - -

Interested to see how Aberdeen will line up tomorrow, since there is no clear best XI just now.

Only Considine and Clark are out, and only Considine of those two would have played.

I think I'd probably start:

Langfield

Shaughnessy-Anderson-Reynolds-Robertson

Hayes--Jack--Robson--??????

McGinn

Magennis​

Be either Wylde or Pawlett for the wide left spot.

But I don't know what Kilmarnock have been doing. If they are likely to pack the midfield, I'd probably put Flood in the team and go 4-3-3:

Langfield

Jack--Robson--Flood

Hayes---Magennis---McGinn​

There is going to be a good crowd in tomorrow, so this is a big game for McInnes and the players to set the tone for the season and to get the fans onside and wanting to keep coming back.

Kilmarnock (as their manager has admitted) aren't really ready for this game because they are still trying to sign a few more players before the end of the window, so there really is no excuse for Aberdeen not to start fast, maintain a good tempo and win the game.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Good opening win and an encouraging performance.

Should have won by far more goals than we did.

Langfield

Robson---Flood---Jack---Hayes

McGinn--Zola​

Midfield was excellent. Loads of good movement from Robson and Hayes drifting around and swapping wings and plenty good balls into the box from both of them.

Flood was tremendous. In addition to being his normal tidy, busy self, he was really powering around the pitch and offered more in the final third than I expected.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Some very funny goings on at Sevco this weekend.

On Saturday morning Charles Green said Sevco had to win a cup, as well as promotion for their season to be a success.

On Saturday afternoon they went out of the League Cup to the mighty Forfar Athletic.

McCoist then cam off as a tit (just for a change) with some stupid Glaswegian v Yorkshiremen comments.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/03/ally-mccoist-rangers

The humiliations just keep on coming. :)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Walter Smith has resigned his post as Rangers chairman following a period of bitter infighting at Ibrox.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23570933

:howler:

Smith and the hun hordes have been played beautifully by Green and his cronies here, I think.

Either that or it's a remarkable coincidence that the period of Smith being chairman and Green stepping out of the limelight tied in very precisely with the period where they were trying to convince people to buy season tickets.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Scottish League Cup, second round draw:

Aberdeen v Alloa

Partick Thistle v Cowdenbeath

Kilmarnock v Hamilton

Dundee v Forfar

Queen of the South v St Mirren

Falkirk v Dunfermline

Raith Rovers v Hearts

Morton v Montrose

Airdrieonians v Livingston

Dumbarton v Dundee United

Stranraer v Ross County

The ties will be played on 27/28 August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23605727

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Renewed my season ticket today.

Some inconsiderate sod had taken the seat I'd been in for the last few years, so had to shift along a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)