[SCO] Scottish Premier league 2013/2014 (1 Viewer)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
They still have the second biggest wage bill in Scotland.

Losing to Utd may be acceptable, but few of the other losses can be.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, that was a highly competent display from Aberdeen to dismiss a shit Hibs team.

Langfield

Logan-Anderson-Reynolds-Considine

Flood-Jack

------------Pawlett---Robson

McGinn-----Rooney---------​

Got an early goal and then completely controlled the game. Hibs never looked like hurting us. Scored a good goal after an hour to finish the game. Saw out the remaining time tidily enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Have to feel that we are very close to securing a top-three finish and that not all that many points are required to get second, given that Motherwell have been poor against top-half sides through the season.

Hard to calculate too much without knowing how hard Celtic will be trying.

Attachments

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Only first place gets you in the CL just now. Top two used to get in.

Getting into Europe is just a fun bonus for us.

The big thing for us is that we have the chance to win the Scottish Cup (semi-finals are this weekend) and complete a cup double.

Would be the third time we'd done it (85/86 and 89/90 previously) and we're the only club aside from Celtic and Rangers to have done such a thing.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Very nice :tup:

So, since the demise of the rangers, how did the league fare afterwards ?

Are clubs like Aberdeen taking advantage in domestic transfers and sorts, or is it a loss if you look at the bigger picture ?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
No downside as far as I'm concerned.

Some of the smaller clubs who relied on money from home games against Rangers have had to cut their budgets a little, but nothing really of note.

Our gates go up and down depending on how good we are, not how many away fans show up.

Celtic have lost out far more than anyone else. Their average crowd must be heading down towards being about 60% of what they would have been getting ten years ago.

Rangers and New Rangers don't really impact on our signings. We had different targets to Rangers because of their huge budget (that they couldn't afford) and now New Rangers can't attract anyone to the lower leagues that we'd be interested in.

We also keep signing Irish players (not as a policy, just coincidence) and both Rangers and New Rangers have had very few Irish players over the years due to their anti-Catholic stance.

- - - Updated - - -

http://sport.bt.com/video-01363814401986?videoid=3442758265001&videotitle=Aberdeen%20pile%20more%20misery%20on%20 hapless%20Hibs

- - - Updated - - -

Going down with the Jambos,” chorused the Aberdeen supporters when Niall McGinn scored the first goal of his sumptuous double after 14 minutes...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/hibernian-0-2-aberdeen-hibs-in-deeper-trouble-1-3368509

:)

- - - Updated - - -

1,300 Dons fans there tonight after 1,800 at Tynecastle on Wednesday.

These teams who claim to be as big as us can't take that many to Pittodrie for a Saturday game, never mind midweek games (one of which was televised).

Out travelling support is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

https://vine.co/v/M5zMlFBI2bY

- - - Updated - - -

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Would really like to see Aberdeen and Dundee United continue to build and close the gap on us over the next few years. Two teams I've always had a soft spot for, and I've nothing but respect for their histories.

A wee run in Europe wouldn't go amiss for either team next year, either.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Depends what you mean by a run.

If we finish second, I believe we have to play two qualifying rounds and then the play-off round just to get to the group stage.

And the play-off will be seeded so we'd probably face a decent side.

That's why I'm not that fussed about Europe just now - it just seems that there are too many hurdles for us to get by even to get to the group.

That said, we are going to have a pretty stable side going into next season, so we're likely to be in with a better chances of not tripping up in the qualifiers than in some years.

- - - Updated - - -

Still, I'm not making any holiday plans until I see if Aberdeen get a draw that merits a jaunt abroad.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
Kilmarnock continue to be terrible.

Lost 2-1 at home to Partick Thistle at the weekend.

Now only 3 points separating Ross County in the play-off place in 11th from Hibs in 7th.

Anyone but Killie going down is fine by me, but I'd love to see Hibs and Hearts relegated in the same season!

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Yeah, some interesting stuff happening at the end of last season.

Very funny to see Utd lose the cup final and good to see Lennon fuck off out of Scottish football.

Incredibly funny to see Hibs go down.

They managed two wins in the second half of the season. They then won the first leg of the relegation playoff 2-0 only to hilariously cock it up at home.

- - - Updated - - -

Aberdeen were strolling to second place only for the ref to decide to fuck us over in the last minute of the season.

Not fussed about not getting second from the point of view of prestige, but the practical benefits of more cash and one less European qualifying round to get through would have been good.

Anyway, it was still our best season in about 20 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)