[SCO] Scottish Premier league 2013/2014 (1 Viewer)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Cheers, abdy. :malt:

As our chairman so eloquently put it live on the radio just after the game:

19 years, 120 minutes and then fucking penalties

https://soundcloud.com/graham-stewart/stewart-milne-on-f-ing

Felt absolutely lousy heading down to the game having been getting gradually more and more worked up through the week. Got into my stride once I got some beer in me and then felt curiously calm through the game and the penalties.

Game wasn't up to much, fairly typically for a final.

Langfield

Logan-Anderson-Reynolds-Considine

Robson-Jack-Flood

Hayes---Rooney---McGinn​

very quickly becoming:

Langfield

Flood-Jack

Robson--Smith--McGinn

Rooney​

ICT put out as muscular a team as they could (even at the expense of the best creative player) and just focused on sitting deep and blocking up the middle of the pitch. With Pawlett out and Hayes getting injured after 10 seconds, we were without our two key creative players and our main players capable of beating a player one-on-one. So without them it was all fairly slow and lacking in penetration.

Key thing was that we kept our discipline. All too often I've seen Dons teams panic when struggling to get a goal and end up losing due to over-committing when trying to force a goal. This team stayed patient and risked nothing.

We still should have won the game as we had three clear chances and should have had a penalty. ICT just had the one incident where they could have scored and should have had a penalty.

But I care little enough about games being pretty at the best of times, so the game being a complete dirge takes nothing from my enjoyment of winning.

Aside from being enormously pleased for myself, there are a number of players that I'm delighted to see finally get a reward for the years of good service they've given the club. Seeing Russell Anderson (fuck knows how he didn't get MotM), the Aberdeen player I've felt most attached to over his nearly 400 games for the club, lifting a trophy was tremendously satisfying.

And then there was the glorious sight of ~42,000 Aberdeen fans taking over Parkhead and generally lording it over Glasgow for the weekend. Hasn't been that big a gathering of Dons fans since the late 60s and, unless we get very lucky with the circumstances around another final, there may never be another gathering of that size.

No goals conceded in the competition and I was present at all the games:

Aberdeen 0-0 Alloa (6-5 on pens)
Falkirk 0-5 Aberdeen
Motherwell 0-2 Aberdeen (we played 77 minutes with ten men)
Aberdeen 4-0 St. Johnstone
Aberdeen 0-0 ICT (4-2 on pens)

2hgaj2a.jpg
24vnxn9.jpg
2u5516r.jpg

aberdeen_2853641b.jpg

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Watched the final again.

The reports slating the game are going way overboard.

That wasn't a bad game as finals go.

May have had less excitement than many, but the general standard of play was fine.

It was just a pretty normal big game with one team focused on defending and the other refusing to take risks to try and break that down.

Extra time was pretty shoddy - particularly the set-pieces - but nothing extraordinarily bad to justify the level of stick being dished out regarding the standard of the game.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Gap's too big to bridge in one season.

We just need to keep getting stronger and hope Celtic keep overpaying for shit players.

Our squad is all signed up until the end of next season at least (except a couple of older guys who'll stay if we want them to), so no reason for us to not be stronger next season with some tinkering in the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Ah, the wonders of Scottish society...

NOTHING is going to wreck the party in Aberdeen this week. Not even a story that would usually have Dons fans howling in protest.

Mind you there are some tales that are so far-fetched, so far beyond the realms of common sense, the only response can be to roll about the floor laughing.

It turns out the Red Army is sectarian again this week.

Except this time they’ve done a full 180.

A few weeks on from allegedly hurling anti-Irish abuse at Neil Lennon, at Parkhead on Sunday they were hoping to produce a pro-IRA display before kick-off.

Yep. You read that right. At least that’s what the bobbies said and that’s why they told Dons fans their planned show of cards had to be changed.

Sit down for this one.

Apparently the offending display included a sunburst coming out from behind the letters COYR (it means Come on You Reds, do keep up).

Ooh, that has sectarian connotations, said match commander superintendent Mark Hargreaves.

Erm, what? Sorry?

We skate pretty close to insanity in Scottish football on a weekly basis but now we’ve gone crashing right through the looking glass.

Sunburst? Sectarian? Really?

If you didn’t need to Google it to find out it was a symbol of a Republican group in Ireland in the 1850s it says more about you than the rest of us.

There are even bampots in deepest, darkest Coatbridge and Larkhall who’ll have been scratching their heads at this one. In fact, quite what it prompted in the minds of Police Scotland is another worry.

It’s like when you show a suspect a paint-spattered card. Sane folk say they see a butterfly while the serial killers describe a dead dug.

Forget about the Offensive Behaviour in Football Act, anyone offended by a wee sunburst at an Aberdeen game should be made to stand on a big box and laughed at in public parks around the country.

Dons fans with a pro-IRA banner in their first cup final in 14 years? Behave yourself.

Not that any Dons fan could give a jot about what some busy bobby thinks this week.

They’re too busy trying to cure the mother of all hangovers. You can’t say they don’t deserve it after nearly 20 years of being a laughing stock.

Something pretty special happened for Aberdeen in Glasgow at the weekend. This was the Red Army’s Seville and Manchester moment. To take 43,000 fans was incredible and even the Granite City has not seemed so grey this week.

People are actually walking around smiling. It’s weird. It feels like an episode of Dr Who when the normally downbeat residents have been replaced with happy-clappy robotdons.

Seriously, there’s mass euphoria. The Red Army has even managed to get the Peter Pawlett song – the Human League’s Don’t You Want Me? – surging into the top five of the charts.

No joke, folk are walking about whistling it. It’s torture for the rest of us who can’t get the tune out of our heads.

All of a sudden there’s a weight off their shoulders. They’ve came out from the nuclear bunker and are smelling the fresh air.

Of course there are still the same problems as last week. There is that huge lump of debt that needs shifted. The new stadium is stuck in development hell while the league is still a one-horse race.

But there is now also hope. There’s a squad and a manager tied to long-term contracts.

There’s a millionaire chairman who has gone from Deputy Dawg to British Bulldog after getting his mojo back.

The fans can see more cups and finals heading their way.

Instead of fearing Rangers returning to restore the old duopoly they can’t wait to take on their old foes because they know it will be the Ibrox side playing catch-up on them for the first time in 30 years.

The sun’s rising on a new dawn in the Granite City. Just make sure you don’t put a picture of it on a banner when heading to Glasgow.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...s/michael-gannon-aberdeens-league-cup-3263121

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
Thought for a while the mighty Ayrshire Killie were going to enable me to hijack this thread.

Sadly we have two clowns in charge!

(Aberdeen 2-1 Kilmarnock)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Big win yesterday in keeping the momentum going and not losing focus.

Issues in the first half were tactical as the intensity of the team was as good as could reasonably be expected in the circumstances.

Langfield

Smith-Flood-Jack-Low

Rooney-McGinn​

Playing with just two in midfield was a tactical risk taken, I believe, on the basis that we could hold a high line (since Boyd isn't going to run in behind) and thus squeeze the game and prevent being outnumbered in midfield becoming an issue.

Didn't work in the first half because the defence wasn't brave enough in pushing up and because of some poor give-aways when in possession.

Second half was all much more compact and controlled.

We should have won much more comfortably, but McGinn decided to keep missing great chances.

Kilmarnock were terrible. Aberdeen were clearly going to be vulnerable after the final and with us missing our two main creative players, but Kilmarnock were just so negative and tame that we were never put under any pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20140323/redimages-special-league-cup-parade-_2212158_3728321

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/9228526/

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Well last night may have been the tactically stupidest performance of the season.

Still, got out of it with a not particularly objectionable result.

Needed some great saves from Langfield to escape with a point, though:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
In what sense?

Poor start, followed by playing very well from 15-60 mins where we could have turned the game around.

Then both teams looked happy with the point and started to tire after the mid-week games.

Balance of the team was good, as was the movement of the ball.

I make that the best performance since we beat Celtic at Parkhead at the start of February.

Decent point to keep us five point clear of Utd, particularly if we go and win our game in had against Hearts on Wednesday.

Nice bonus that Motherwell lost at home as well.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Surprise, surprise...

An investigation into claims Celtic manager Neil Lennon was abused by fans while at a cup match between Aberdeen and St Johnstone has found insufficient evidence of any wrongdoing.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/270...-claims-neil-lennon-abused-at-cup-semi-final/

I trust all the media outlets who leapt on this story so enthusiastically at the time will devote as much time to announcing this as they did slating Aberdeen fans for the alleged incident.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Remarkable show of idiocy to fail to see out the game when a goal and a man up with 15 minutes left.

Real missed opportunity that.

- - - Updated - - -

Post-split fixtures were announced yesterday:

18 April Inverness CT v Aberdeen

19 April Hearts v Ross County, Kilmarnock v Partick Thistle, Motherwell v Celtic, St Johnstone v Dundee Utd, St Mirren v Hibernian

25 April Partick Thistle v St Mirren

26 April Aberdeen v St Johnstone, Dundee Utd v Motherwell, Ross County v Kilmarnock

27 April Celtic v Inverness CT, Hibernian v Hearts

2 May Hibernian v Partick Thistle

3 May Celtic v Aberdeen, Inverness CT v Dundee Utd, Motherwell v St Johnstone, St Mirren v Ross County

4 May Hearts v Kilmarnock

6 May Dundee Utd v Aberdeen

7 May Hearts v Partick Thistle, Kilmarnock v St Mirren, Motherwell v Inverness CT, Ross County v Hibernian, St Johnstone v Celtic

10 May Hibernian v Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle v Ross County, St Mirren v Hearts

11 May Aberdeen v Motherwell, Celtic v Dundee Utd, Inverness CT v St Johnstone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26857123

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)