Sap.. (1 Viewer)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
I heard Majed and Elnur talking about it.. so, anyone is using it in his company or something..??

I'm an SAP System Administrator..
Tell me more about it. I have a faint idea that it is a database management system.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
I heard Majed and Elnur talking about it.. so, anyone is using it in his company or something..??

I'm an SAP System Administrator..
Great stuff,

You company has a full ERP package implemented?

OP
Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    no, but there will be an implementation soon..

we are using SAP 4.6 c on HP-UX Servers with INFORMIX Database.. we are in the middle of migrating to (Martin will hate this :D ) Windows Servers with SQL Database.. if the migration succeeded, then our company will go for the ERP package.. maybe next year..

El_Nur what module are working with..??

++ [ originally posted by Ali] ++
    Tell me more about it. I have a faint idea that it is a database management system.
    it's much more than that.. it is used for lots of things in major companies.. for financing, controling, auditing, data management.. etc.. my company use it for Auditing, financing and data management.. it has lots of features.. but, companies tend to use only what they needed.. to reduce cost.. it is a business driven application.. and it is really a big major.. I have been working with SAP for two years now, and I need 3 more years to master it.. and only my concered module.. which is the "SAP Basis"..

btw, SAP is a german company, it stands for "System Application Product" I think, but around here we say it stands for "Suffer And Pain".. :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

we are using SAP 4.6 c on HP-UX Servers with INFORMIX Database.. we are in the middle of migrating to (Martin will hate this :D ) Windows Servers with SQL Database.. if the migration succeeded, then our company will go for the ERP package.. maybe next year..

it's much more than that.. it is used for lots of things in major companies.. for financing, controling, auditing, data management.. etc.. my company use it for Auditing, financing and data management.. it has lots of features.. but, companies tend to use only what they needed.. to reduce cost.. it is a business driven application.. and it is really a big major.. I have been working with SAP for two years now, and I need 3 more years to master it.. and only my concered module.. which is the "SAP Basis"..

btw, SAP is a german company, it stands for "System Application Product" I think, but around here we say it stands for "Suffer And Pain".. :D
    That's great Moe! :thumb:

Good luck. I do hear that it's a lot of work, and I'll find out first hand in a few months... Any particular pointers you'd give for people like me who are just getting introduced to its world? (from a programmer's point of view, and in general of course since I don't know exactly what I'll be working with yet) :)

OP
    Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    a programmer point of view.. then, I think you'll be an SAP developer.. you'll be using a language called "ABAP" language.. not that tough by itself.. it's quite similar to JAVA or C++.. but, the area developers work in are quite chaotic.. they're asked to do simultanous changes in the objects, tables..etc.. god help you.. but, I think it is better to start as a develop.. it's give a lot of experience, and you'll be more valuable.. market-wise...

there is a bokk called "ABAP Objects An Introduction to Programming SAP Applications" by Horst Keller and Sascha Kruger..
    it comes with two CD's that allow you to install a mini sap system for practice.. it's quite handy.. helped me a lot to understand the background concept of SAP systems..

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    a programmer point of view.. then, I think you'll be an SAP developer.. you'll be using a language called "ABAP" language.. not that tough by itself.. it's quite similar to JAVA or C++.. but, the area developers work in are quite chaotic.. they're asked to do simultanous changes in the objects, tables..etc.. god help you.. but, I think it is better to start as a develop.. it's give a lot of experience, and you'll be more valuable.. market-wise...

there is a bokk called "ABAP Objects An Introduction to Programming SAP Applications" by Horst Keller and Sascha Kruger..
    it comes with two CD's that allow you to install a mini sap system for practice.. it's quite handy.. helped me a lot to understand the background concept of SAP systems..
    I can't thank you enough Moe! :)

I wanted to take an online course this semester to get "acquainted" with SAP, but I have demanding classes. I need ed this kind of info to direct me in the right path because I've found quite a few number of books relating to SAP. If I went with one of those books, it would have just been a shot in the dark..

I'll put that name on the top of my "Books to buy" list.
    Thanks.

OP
    Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    you are welcome..

there is another good book that could be helpful.. it's "SAP R/3 System Administration" by Sigrid Hagemann and Liane Will.. very good book, gives you a good about the client/server issues of SAP.. tips and techniques.. good stuff.. it helped me a lot..

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002

Thanks for the info. Just a clarification. Is is like a certification programme like Cisco etc? Can someone get SAP certified & what level of education is required?

OP
    Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    lol.. it's not my call :D.. my courses in unix will go in vain now..

++ [ originally posted by Ali] ++
    Thanks for the info. Just a clarification. Is is like a certification programme like Cisco etc? Can someone get SAP certified & what level of education is required?
    yes, I think it is.. but, not the same way as cisco, though.. there are so many levels of certifications in SAP.. the level of education is irrelevant.. I think (I'm not sure) anybody can apply for it.. as long as his company is a customer for SAP.. or it's a third-party client.. offcourse there some pre-requsites that vary from course to course..

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

I have never worked with SAP. I am doing my MBA, consentrating in Mang-t Info Systems and Human Resource Info Systems.

When I get out of here I will be on the functional side of things (hopefuly being proficient on the technical side as well), consulting on the issues like identifying business processes that need to be changed alongside the ERP implementation. That being the case if I don't get into Human Capital Consulting with a top 5.

I've worked with PeopleSoft, which is SAP's main competitor on the ERP market, with a 39% market share as of late 2004. It is stronger in Human Resource Management and Self-Service Applications, while SAP is better on financial side and in supply chain management interfaces.

I would love to work with SAP though, rather than PS. PS is very popular in the US, while SAP- worldwide.

OP
    Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #20
    I never worked with this PS before..!!!

are you going to study SAP, El_Nur..? technically..? not only theoretically..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)