Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting (43 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Whatever, I don't just mean AR-15, I mean military type sidearms. I don't think anything much beisdes hunting rifles and other impractical guns should be legal, with licenses too.
It's like owning a super fast car when the speed limit is 60 mph.

I've always been a fan of stiff licensing for firearms, stricter background checks, requiring a safety class and continuing education. I mean we are talking about selling "death givers". Also, think we should close loop holes like the gun show loop hole.

But the issue is far deeper than simply gun ownership. Mental health, doctor's going to the prescription pad for every socially awkward tick little Johnny has, availability of mental health treatment for young people, and the "hands off" policies of the US education system.

Most of the recent mass killers have at one point in time made their intentions known. The Columbine kids started a website, the angry ninja vented via youtube, the guy from the Chiefs told friends what he was going to do, the Aurora guy bragged to peers, and this kid apparently scared the shit out of his mother. Yet no one took any of these guys seriously. Whoops.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
America has made social glory of owning crap you'd never need in the pretend-life that you want to believe that you do. :agree:

It's a capitalist's wet dream.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Maybe you need one in case an unarmed black kid tries to beat you up? :anon:
The latest Florida debacle is a hoot as well. Some guy pulled up to a gas station to buy booze and told kids to turn down their music, they turned it louder. So he shot 'em and drove off. Said he saw a shot gun, cops still can't find the shot gun. Now he's saying he just felt threatened.

I must say though, the police are handling this one pretty well.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Most of the recent mass killers have at one point in time made their intentions known. The Columbine kids started a website, the angry ninja vented via youtube, the guy from the Chiefs told friends what he was going to do, the Aurora guy bragged to peers, and this kid apparently scared the shit out of his mother. Yet no one took any of these guys seriously. Whoops.
'Teenage angst'

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
On another note, I think Zimmerman will get Man 1 at most. Possibly an acquittal. Depending on how well or poorly his defense team does.

They got hosed at the bail hearing last week. Transcripts were a fun read.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Obama says access to mental health care needs to be as easy as access to guns.

- The Week

- - - Updated - - -

From Facebook at al.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Obama says access to mental health care needs to be as easy as access to guns.

- The Week
It's a great point.

National priorities always suck at prevention.

Look at the money we spend on Katrina clean-up as opposed to building proper gates and levees.

McVeigh is a decent example, IMO.

But at the same time, it's unrealistic to think that access to guns doesn't make the tragedy a whole lot more convenient. Adam Lanza was unlikely to rent a Ryder truck and fill it with fertilizer.

True. But that sells the sky-is-falling paranoia that everyone is subject to home break-ins with deadly force. I'll wish I had a nuclear warhead when a meteorite is about to fall from space onto my house to obliterate it, but that in itself doesn't exactly justify me owning nukes either.

Logic and dumbshit emotionalism aren't the same thing.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
do you guys remember the norway shooter? there are strict gun laws in norway too, yet that didn't stop him from gettin a gun and massacring people.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
McVeigh is a decent example, IMO.

But at the same time, it's unrealistic to think that access to guns doesn't make the tragedy a whole lot more convenient. Adam Lanza was unlikely to rent a Ryder truck and fill it with fertilizer.
I think it's a pretty stupid comparison. I mean, what exactly is the rate of murder by exploding moving vans?

If you're pro-gun there are better arguments. If you're an idiot then you litter my Facebook feed with pictures like the above.

- - - Updated - - -

3) Sneak up on them with your katana, and dismember them.
4) Grab chinese phone book and whoop dat ass.

- - - Updated - - -

do you guys remember the norway shooter? there are strict gun laws in norway too, yet that didn't stop him from gettin a gun and massacring people.
What's the mass murder rate in Norway over the last 10 years?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)