Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting (27 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I guess the thing that irritates me is that society has to pay a human life tax for paranoid idiots who failed high school statistics. All epidemiological evidence would suggest that arming teachers is only going to increase the number of child deaths in classrooms. But still there are clowns with magical thinking of exceptionalism and far too many Bruce Willis movies that conclude the rules never apply to people like themselves. It's all "us" versus "them" with no recognition that they are us.

It's the same psychological phenomenon that makes people live in gated communities, only to discover that they are harboring armed drug dealers in their own homes in their own children. It's the same psychological phenomenon that makes people think that three strikes laws are obvious choices because the rules will never apply to themselves, as if to ignore the possibility that their cousins and friends and delinquent children could run into trouble with the law.

"Nope. The only legitimate outcome of arming my second grade teacher would be that she shoots a bad guy entering the school." Never mind that it could be the janitor, or that a kid in one of her classes could access it if she didn't lock it up properly, or she gets into a fight with parents at a PTA meeting that escalates, etc.

But hey -- it's all good if 200 people die from accidental shootings and suicides in schools as long as there's a chance it might prevent the random rampager from shooting 20 kids.

Nope. That would never happen... :disagree: That good people could make bad decisions, could be bad shots, could have deadly force fall into the wrong hands ... that's pure fantasy. There's only one possible way it can go: perfect decisions made by sober people under 100% security with no human emotion or frailty involved. And all our teachers don't have drinking or alcohol problems, and all our priests would never improperly touch our children, blah blah blah.

Idiots. What kind of fucking fairy tale land are these people living in?
you've got blood on your hands, dear sir.

on a serious note, it's kind of touching watching teabaggers do statistics - kind of like watching a new-born puppy trying to run with the big dogs.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I guess the thing that irritates me is that society has to pay a human life tax for paranoid idiots who failed high school statistics. All epidemiological evidence would suggest that arming teachers is only going to increase the number of child deaths in classrooms. But still there are clowns with magical thinking of exceptionalism and far too many Bruce Willis movies that conclude the rules never apply to people like themselves. It's all "us" versus "them" with no recognition that they are us.

It's the same psychological phenomenon that makes people live in gated communities, only to discover that they are harboring armed drug dealers in their own homes in their own children. It's the same psychological phenomenon that makes people think that three strikes laws are obvious choices because the rules will never apply to themselves, as if to ignore the possibility that their cousins and friends and delinquent children could run into trouble with the law.

"Nope. The only legitimate outgun of arming my second grade teacher would be that she shoots a bad guy entering the school." Never mind that it could be the janitor, or that a kid in one of her classes could access it if she didn't lock it up properly, or she gets into a fight with parents at a PTA meeting that escalates, etc.

But hey -- it's all good if 200 people die from accidental shootings and suicides in schools as long as there's a chance it might prevent the random rampager from shooting 20 kids.

Nope. That would never happen... :disagree: That good people could make bad decisions, could be bad shots, could have deadly force fall into the wrong hands ... that's pure fantasy.

Idiots.
It's the American hero mythology. People assume a gun-toting private citizen is going around stopping crime like some combination of Jack Bauer/John McClane and the mainstream media is too caught up in their own agenda to report on this underground character's exploits. Unfortunately private citizens rarely react in these situations and those that do get killed. The vast majority of the time it is rapid response from law enforcement that puts an end to the tragedy. Even in states with open-carry or stand your ground laws, crimes are almost never stopped by armed citizens. In those states is most regularly a case of an altercation between two private citizens that ends badly.

I'm all for gun ownership. I think they're cool and I like the idea of collecting them, especially weapons from historical periods. However, I have no interest in ever carrying one in public. And I've actually had someone attempt to rob me at knife point and had a gun pointed at me over a traffic altercation.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The American hero mythology is pervasive. But it's like everyone thinks they're friggin' James Bond and their families were featured on Leave It To Beaver. I mean, how deluded about yourself can you be?

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
The American hero mythology is pervasive. But it's like everyone thinks they're friggin' James Bond and their families were featured on Leave It To Beaver. I mean, how deluded about yourself can you be?
you guys got it tough if yall think ur secret agents for her majesty

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Not sure how I feel about this just yet. If someone wants to shoot up a school the first one going down is the teacher anyways cus they can fight back. Kids are helpless. I would think stepping up security in schools would be the way to go, not necessarily arm the teachers (who also aren't immune to lunacy).

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Not sure how I feel about this just yet. If someone wants to shoot up a school the first one going down is the teacher anyways cus they can fight back. Kids are helpless. I would think stepping up security in schools would be the way to go, not necessarily arm the teachers (who also aren't immune to lunacy).
It's not a security issue, unless you make a metal detectors but that just going extreme, at least for the time being.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It's not a security issue, unless you make a metal detectors but that just going extreme, at least for the time being.
A lot of high schools have them already and have had them for some time. I know my old high school had a police officer in the school from noon to after school. That's what I'm referring to.
That's actually pretty normal in a lot of school districts.
:tup:

- - - Updated - - -

supermarkets too? gas stations?

why is it that schools are such a target?
target rich environment: want to take out some kids you say? How about a full English class...

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
That's actually pretty normal in a lot of school districts.
Well I was wrong, I guess America is ready for that. I know we still ain't here though :D

On a serious note, I guess those schools are for gheto people, black ispanic not whites though? Still this might be an easy and fast decision to stop imidiate impact or to bring some sense of order, but treating people like a herd animal won't make it any better or for that matter help solve the problem in the future.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Well I was wrong, I guess America is ready for that. I know we still ain't here though :D

On a serious note, I guess those schools are for gheto people, black ispanic not whites though? Still this might be an easy and fast decision to stop imidiate impact or to bring some sense of order, but treating people like a herd animal won't make it any better or for that matter help solve the problem in the future.
I lived in mostly white area...probably 80% if I took a wild guess. Regardless, nothing ever happened aside from the occasional fight over a girl. No knife or gun incidents but things were installed anyways because teachers found some students bringing knives (not using them though)

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Some stuff really. Wouldn't have though that there was such things like metal detectors at your regular schools even in America.

Any eu guys on this, are there this kind of stuff in your country, I know here there are no schools like this. I haven't heard about it in europe, though i didn't hear about it in america too.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I think its gonna be mostly here since it's traditionally been so easy to get guns/knives, probably not so much in Europe.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Some stuff really. Wouldn't have though that there was such things like metal detectors at your regular schools even in America.

Any eu guys on this, are there this kind of stuff in your country, I know here there are no schools like this. I haven't heard about it in europe, though i didn't hear about it in america too.
no metal detectors in denmark.

in my school a couple kids brought knives with them, when the teacher found out she took the knives, sent the kids to the principal and called the parents. never again did those kids take knives with em to school.

metal detectors, armin teachers and so on is 'treatin' the symptoms instead of the real problem. but it seems most mericans dont give a fuck tbh.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

in my school a couple kids brought knives with them, when the teacher found out she took the knives, sent the kids to the principal and called the parents. never again did those kids take knives with em to school.

metal detectors, armin teachers and so on is 'treatin' the symptoms instead of the real problem. but it seems most mericans dont give a fuck tbh.
bad ass principal

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

That's how it was where I went to school and that's how it is in most American schools.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
the humiliation in your parents picking you up from school after a meetin with the principal in front of all of your mates was enough + the boys knew they were wrong by taking these knives with them.

- - - Updated - - -

That's how it was where I went to school and that's how it is in most American schools.
glad to here that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)