Sandro Tonali - DM - Brescia (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
We were always going to lose that sarri vs conte battle, i mean if you got a call from both which one would you rather work with. Additionally we are on win now mode and with this corona business resources are even more scarce. We need starters, not projects.
It's a no contest tbh. Conte might be a cunt, but he is one charismatic passionate douche. Chain Smoking Canceh is a pathetic muppet, one we are unfortunately stuck with for the next two seasons.

I'm ok with missing out on Tonali if we bring in Aouar and Pogba, but not if we keep the shit we have in midfield now.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
Reality is we need more than just tonali. Besides bentancur we have an out of form Pjanic, an injury prone Ramsey, an old Matuidi, a lazy rabiot and Khedira.

Tonali would definitely improve our midfield but Aouar or an obvious pogba would be a great injection for us too.

We do need a midfielder who can offer world class passing in midfield..even though Pjanic has been out of form we essentially need to find that replacement.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I mean, it doesn't surprise me. We've clearly indicated that we're more interested in global stars than guys from Serie A. Isn't it weird though that Inter now is the team built on Italians while we're the team looking for international superstars?
Ironic, but only natural as we are now a massive team, whereas Inter are trying to close ground. At the moment they're not as attractive to international players as we are, so the next best thing is to sign better young players from within the league.

I don't think they are particularly looking to sign Italians, but they need a mix of younger players because they have also bought some older and experienced players in recent times. It's obviously easier to integrate young players who are already in the league rather than from outside, so a number will be Italian. We signed Kulusevski of course, and we can presume that lots of other big teams wanted him because he is a standout 19 year old for the league, even if it's only half a season.

They're about 5 years behind where we are but have signed Lukaku and Eriksen in the past season. Ok, it is two players who either wanted to leave or were running down a contract, but 2 years ago Inter wouldn't have been able to sign them. Know who has helped bring players like that into other Serie A teams? Juve. With the our performances, business model and high profile signings all of a sudden it makes Serie A look that bit more enticing again. That and Chinese money.

I suppose the litmus test for our market this summer, as always, is what we do with the midfield. I'd be concerned if Tonali would be signed as an immediate starter. His performances, hype and nationality don't justify that. We're a team looking to win the CL, after all. Going to Inter and being a starter or playing 75% of games is a different thing, different pressure. He knows that, it's probably a safer move for him. But if he wasn't ridiculously expensive I'd like to have him as an option from 5 or 6 CMs. That is where Paratici and co earn their money, knowing where to apportion our budget for players we actually need. I'm presuming Kulu replaces Berna, so that's one requirement. There are so many others though...Midfield once again is the sticking point. If our plan is to go for someone like Pogba or another huge, expensive name then of course someone like Tonali or Chiesa falls by the wayside. Chiesa only comes alive again if someone gives us big money for Douglas Costa or he is swapped out as part of a big CM deal.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Sensi, Barella, Erikssen and now Tonali? Would be a shame if Inter snapped up another quality CM while Paratici is busy chasing Icardi and signing bosmans in midfield.

Now if Tonali goes to Inter and its not because we've gotten Pogba? Then I really don't understand what they are doing at Juve HQ.

Not doubting the quality of Ronaldo or De Ligt but pursuing some of these massive signings is risking leaving the squad short in key positions and really unbalanced when we are forced to go for whoever else is available regardless of whether they are suitable.

Might be getting us more Twitter followers but is the team, overall, better since Paratici has taken us in this bold new direction?

Anything short of having two new CMs (at least one of starting quality) and one starting quality winger is a failure imo.
Same thoughts I have. Any of Sensi, Barella, Erikssen and Tonali would improve our midfield at affordable prices.

If Inter can make 4 midfield signings in a row that would improve our midfield, while we retain problems in this area, then we are doing something wrong.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Honestly, I'd rather have somebody like Jorginho and spend the big money on somebody else than Tonali. I'd like a real playmaker like Jorginho. Pjanic was suppose to be that but he hasn't really filled that role lately while Tonali(even if he's being compared to Pirlo) isn't really a deep lying playmaker.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I have the feeling with Tonali that he is being moved into the regista role because of the Pirlo comparisons and his passing range, but to me he runs and plays like a mezzala.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
I think there is the unnecessary comparison of a 20 yo Tonali with a 33 yo Pirlo at Juve.

Young Pirlo at Brescia and Milan wasn't his later static self. He was running as much as every other midfielder and played more forward.

The strange thing would be if Tonali as a 20yo in 2020 had the stamina of old Pirlo. It's great that he is very mobile and athletic.

With Tonali we would be getting a player that is very similar to young Pirlo imo, and that's great. But less talented of course, Pirlo is a GOAT.

To get a ready made regista the best place is Jorginho in his prime, Tonali will take time to evolve to that point.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
?

- - - Updated - - -

...Young Pirlo at Brescia and Milan wasn't his later static self. He was running as much as every other midfielder and played more forward....
old pirlo usually had the most distance covered in cl matches, usually above vidal. he slowed down with age, but his stamina was outstanding throughout his career. he took less risks with his passing, which is a tactical choice at juve since the new winning cycle has started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)