Sandro Tonali - DM - Brescia (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Yes I agree. Not many teams in Serie A will and that could be one of our advantages. Premier league however is full of teams that would pay that.
Maybe he wants to remain in Italy :klin:

He'll be a starter here in a season or two - patience is key. There are no international competitions in 2021, at least not for Italy, so he won't be in a hurry to suit up for the Azzurri either.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
So we lost a global superstar [Eriksen] to Inter and we bought Kulusevski. :howler:

Watch us we lose Tonali too.
"Lost"... we didnt even try... the only logical explanation is that we are trying to cut the wages in order to get someone bigger... (maybe even someone with more arms/legs..)

- - - Updated - - -

40-50 million is standard fare in this day and age. You're not going to get a world class player for that kind of money unless they're forcing their way out of a club or running down their contract.
I get your point even though Tonali isnt really WC...

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
This was a very good read thank you.

The author highlights his key strength as being a transition player and flat out says he is too raw/weak in the other aspects of being a CM, which is not good enough for a top team. His short passing, possession play, tackles and interceptions are no where near the top level. This is done by a much better statistical analysis than what I did :lol:

To your point about Brescia's passing as a team. Even if you relativize his numbers down to brescia's numbers. Only 10% of Brescia's passing goes through him (52nd percentile) compared to Pirlo who was > 90th percentile. Everything goes through Pirlo on Pirlo's teams. Tonali is just one amongst many players to his Brescia team mates. Unless their coach is an idiot, you'd think if he had a great passer who is head and shoulders above the rest of his team mates, they'd have used him more often as connector and playmaker and Brescia wouldnt be one of the worst teams with the ball in the league.

I think Mourinho would love a player like him for those park the bus games against bigger clubs. He has to improve on his weaknesses and Brescia's tactics will no doubt adapt to his new-found strengths if he becomes that good at them. Otherwise he'd be destined for mid-table/small clubs that like to take points off of the top 4/6.
I did not gather that at all.

Not sure why you're still comparing him with Pirlo. Everyone agrees they're different types of players with different strengths. Also, one is an all-time great, while one is a rookie.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I did not gather that at all.

Not sure why you're still comparing him with Pirlo. Everyone agrees they're different types of players with different strengths. Also, one is an all-time great, while one is a rookie.
Tonali has a lot of work to do

But if Tonali wants to elevates his game to a higher level, he needs to improve his defense. His marking is bad. Brescia’s defensive scheme requires the wide central midfielder to move out of the position to engage the ball handler. Tonali often hesitates to move out of the area in front of the center back, making it difficult for his team to control the resultant space.
Just blatantly ignoring – or worse, being unaware of – the opponent’s player in those situations will never work in a more competitive squad. As technical as players in Tonali’s position are, they also need to act as the first buffer for the defenders; Pjanic is Juventus’ indisputed starter because not only of his amazing passing skill but also of his ability to hold up defensively (he is massively underrated in this area).

Tonali is certainly talented, but no big club is going to start a central midfielder just for making transitional plays. It’s not his fault that Brescia’s system has limited what he can do, but he is also extremely raw. It will take quite some time for him to hone his game.
Its the conclusion of the article. He is a great transition player which suits Brescia but he is also extremely raw as a playmaker and defender. He is at the 52nd percentile of players in terms of % of their total team passes, and 2-5 times lower than Pirlo in betweeness/hubness. And 26th and 40th percentile in Defensive Challenges and Interceptions.

He is currently too raw on 2 main functions of a CM/CDM (possession/playmaking and defense) but is exceptionally skilled at transitions.I highlighted it in BOLD in the above quote. Its the last paragraph in the article.

06-28-1ef0v-rvtml.png

06-29-zxk05-z5b5h.png
06-29-odnfo-w9mh0.png

PS: The article compares him to Pirlo and he himself said he is half Pirlo half Gattuso. I didnt come up with this comparison.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Its the conclusion of the article. He is a great transition player which suits Brescia but he is also extremely raw as a playmaker and defender. He is at the 52nd percentile of players in terms of % of their total team passes, and 2-5 times lower than Pirlo in betweeness/hubness. And 26th and 40th percentile in Defensive Challenges and Interceptions.

He is currently too raw on 2 main functions of a CM/CDM (possession/playmaking and defense) but is exceptionally skilled at transitions.I highlighted it in BOLD in the above quote. Its the last paragraph in the article.

06-28-1ef0v-rvtml.png

06-29-zxk05-z5b5h.png
06-29-odnfo-w9mh0.png

PS: The article compares him to Pirlo and he himself said he is half Pirlo half Gattuso. I didnt come up with this comparison.
There were many different occasions where he said he's not really like Pirlo. His father-agent also said the same, as well as Pirlo himself who sees him as a mezzala.

Of course he has a lot of work to do. He's not a Pogba level talent who will walk into our midfield at 19.

I'm having a lot of fun with whoscored.com at the moment. A player who is statistically very similar to him is Barella

rainhard

May 5, 2004
There were many different occasions where he said he's not really like Pirlo. His father-agent also said the same, as well as Pirlo himself who sees him as a mezzala.

Of course he has a lot of work to do. He's not a Pogba level talent who will walk into our midfield at 19.

I'm having a lot of fun with whoscored.com at the moment. A player who is statistically very similar to him is Barella
We need Jadon Sancho, his goals and assist are staggerring, key passes and dribble too. We must sell Dougie C raise fund for him

This based on whoscored rating. Kulusevsky is pretty good but not as explosive as Sancho. Maybe Bundesliga to easy for Sancho

Sent from my RMX1921 using Tapatalk

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
We need Jadon Sancho, his goals and assist are staggerring, key passes and dribble too. We must sell Dougie C raise fund for him

This based on whoscored rating. Kulusevsky is pretty good but not as explosive as Sancho. Maybe Bundesliga to easy for Sancho

Sent from my RMX1921 using Tapatalk
we have 0 chance for Sancho. probably less than zero.

EPL sides will offer dortmund gazillion dollars for him.

Apr 19, 2007
Get Reyna from Dortmund for the midfied. Hes a stud at 17 and will be world class very soon. We wanted him over the summer but wanted to put him with the U-23s and not first team. Could have gotten him for 4 mil but that was risky giving him a first team spot

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
Lol yes let’s put players in our u23

that’s where players go to become irrelevant
Until we actually start using our U23 team the way we need to - main purpose being benefiting the first team, yeah, they stay irrelevant...

At least one youngster per season from the B team should be given a debut, cameo apps and a chance to claim a spot in the first team squad and get a promotion during that season. Let them stay in Serie C for too long and they are going into the exciting world of loan with option/obligation to random Serie B sides until they are 24 and written off from elite football...

Where are the Barca prodigies, the Del Soles, those new Agueros, Dybalas, etc.. if they are not good enough to take part in a home Coppa game vs Udinese B side then why are they even here, youth sectors should have a main goal to produce and prepare a player for the first team, not just minor plusvalenza...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Get Reyna from Dortmund for the midfied. Hes a stud at 17 and will be world class very soon. We wanted him over the summer but wanted to put him with the U-23s and not first team. Could have gotten him for 4 mil but that was risky giving him a first team spot
Yes please. Get his ass right now.. Plus it will be good for marketing purposes to the US market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)