Sandro Tonali - DM - Brescia (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
IIRC, Dybala was a huge gamble when we bought him. 40 million on a 21 year old player from a midtable Serie A club.

40m back in 2015 is like 70m nowadays, with how much money in football has inflated.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
@Hist

I was curious as to Tonali's average number of passes is so low. It seems more to do with Brescia's passing as a team.

They are the lowest in the league when it comes to possession, total number of passes, pass success rate and short passes attempted.

They also attack primarily down the right side, while Tonali plays more to the left.

That reminded me of this great profile of him which also sheds light on his role in Brescia's tactics and why he would have so few passes.
https://tacticsplatform.com/sandro-tonali-is-really-not-pirlo/

P.s. they also have the highest ratio of goals coming from set pieces :klin:

rainhard

May 5, 2004
His through pass and long balls is his key attribute. That is why people compare him with Pirlo

We must acquire him and loaned him out midtable Serie A team that playing close with Sarri philosophy. To make sure he is ready

Sent from my RMX1921 using Tapatalk

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
@Hist

I was curious as to Tonali's average number of passes is so low. It seems more to do with Brescia's passing as a team.

They are the lowest in the league when it comes to possession, total number of passes, pass success rate and short passes attempted.

They also attack primarily down the right side, while Tonali plays more to the left.

That reminded me of this great profile of him which also sheds light on his role in Brescia's tactics and why he would have so few passes.

Honestly I read a big part of the article and it sounds as someone trying to adjust the stats to what they already thought. Too biased.

Comparing a 19yo guy playing in a team like Brescia against who? Using what? Only base in the position, give me a break. Taking part of certain facts just to adjust a narrative sounds as BS as an article of a english newspaper

Karim30

Allegri is back, life is back.
May 6, 2012
His through pass and long balls is his key attribute. That is why people compare him with Pirlo

We must acquire him and loaned him out midtable Serie A team that playing close with Sarri philosophy. To make sure he is ready

If we don’t think he’s good enough for our first team let’s pass on him, he’s too expensive and we need immediate solutions to think mid to long term

rainhard

May 5, 2004
If we don’t think he’s good enough for our first team let’s pass on him, he’s too expensive and we need immediate solutions to think mid to long term
Technical term he is ready as we can see how he perform. But it is more on mental state to play as core for Juventus at such relatively young age.

Or he can play as vice Pjanic for 1 or 2 years, starter for cup or minnows to give Pjanic rest (getting 15 to 20 games) 1st season and 20-25 games 2nd season

Karim30

Allegri is back, life is back.
May 6, 2012
He won’t get into the starting 11 from the get go that’s why we are dreaming about 2 midfield purchases in the summer, but also if Someone thinks he’s on Mandragora level and should be loaned out then honestly he’s unaffordable at 40-50m

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Right now (not considering a periodic form) its Pjanic Bentancur Rabiot Matuidi Khedira
If we get Tonali I rate him on level with Matuidi since I think the forum underestimates Matuidi`s contribution.

I agree with the he`s too expensive not to be a starter but there are other things to consider as well:
1. He is under 20...
2. I can see him becoming a starter in 2 years although he`s not the Messiah..
3. He is Italian and it means loyalty - Usually when we get an Italian he never asks to leave
4. If we dont get him it means Inter get him.. Do we want Inter to have him?

Its a tough one but I`d say this priority is a superstar midfielder like Pogba or someone with physique+technical skills+shooting skills and only then go for a bright prospect like Tonali.
I mean if its just a good player (and not a superstar) vs Tonali, I`d pick Tonali.

Anyway if we really want to fund both I see no reason why we cant - I mean Bernardeschi could easily fetch around 40M from Barcelona and Rugani could get us 25M-30M... and this is besides other things like signing players like Orsolini in order to sell him again for a higher fee...

The thing is - Im not sure about our board intentions to sell these players and I guess we will spend it on other areas as well...

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
I like Tonali doing decently good for a kid in Serie A but not at 40-50m price tag.
If that's the price I'd let him go.

By the way I want us to get good mids but then who do we bench? mr. 7.5m net wages Rabiot?
Or a good player in developing like Rabiot?
I know the answer ! we'll sell Pjanic and get someone

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
40-50 million is standard fare in this day and age. You're not going to get a world class player for that kind of money unless they're forcing their way out of a club or running down their contract.

Apr 19, 2007
He does play more direct than what he would play here in the Pjanic position here. We have the ability to drive opponents into their box and keep them there and press them high. His range from what little ive seen of him looks good though

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Honestly I read a big part of the article and it sounds as someone trying to adjust the stats to what they already thought. Too biased.

Comparing a 19yo guy playing in a team like Brescia against who? Using what? Only base in the position, give me a break. Taking part of certain facts just to adjust a narrative sounds as BS as an article of a english newspaper
Not sure what you mean mayn

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
@Hist

This was a very good read thank you.

The author highlights his key strength as being a transition player and flat out says he is too raw/weak in the other aspects of being a CM, which is not good enough for a top team. His short passing, possession play, tackles and interceptions are no where near the top level. This is done by a much better statistical analysis than what I did :lol:

To your point about Brescia's passing as a team. Even if you relativize his numbers down to brescia's numbers. Only 10% of Brescia's passing goes through him (52nd percentile) compared to Pirlo who was > 90th percentile. Everything goes through Pirlo on Pirlo's teams. Tonali is just one amongst many players to his Brescia team mates. Unless their coach is an idiot, you'd think if he had a great passer who is head and shoulders above the rest of his team mates, they'd have used him more often as connector and playmaker and Brescia wouldnt be one of the worst teams with the ball in the league.

I think Mourinho would love a player like him for those park the bus games against bigger clubs. He has to improve on his weaknesses and Brescia's tactics will no doubt adapt to his new-found strengths if he becomes that good at them. Otherwise he'd be destined for mid-table/small clubs that like to take points off of the top 4/6.

Last edited:

dryatson

Feb 2, 2020
I like Tonali doing decently good for a kid in Serie A but not at 40-50m price tag.
If that's the price I'd let him go.
That's also my point of view: 50M is too much for what's Tonali worth now (especially considering that Brescia has high odds to be relegated in Seria B... so will not be in good position for dealing high fees for him)... at that price I don't mind Inter getting him, even if passing on a good Italian can be mad...

We should find good midfielders who are "under the radar" (like Vidal for 12 M) and no get into the Hype trend leading to a biding war...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)