Sandro Tonali - DM - Brescia (21 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I too like stats, but with players like him they don't tell the whole truth.
To me he's the classic 'metronome' midfielder, he takes the ball from deep and sets the team away. Defensively he covers ground and looks to steal the ball away in a way that someone like Pjanic can't really do because he doesn't have the legs.I don't think his job is as the final midfield defender or as the offensive assist man, but I'd imagine if he played for a team like Juve he'd have a lot more assists than he does at Brescia because he has vision that is a bit wasted with more mediocre players.

So far he has what, 3 assists? In a typical Pirlo season - to take the laziest comparison - he had about 7 a season. 2011-12 was a standout season for Pirlo by far, he didn't get near that later. These sort of players will often get at least half of their assists from set pieces. If I had to make a prediction for Tonali I'd say he would be looking at 4-6 goals per season, and 6-8 assists, on average.

@Hist you're comparing a 19 year old in his first Serie A season with guys who have 150+ top flight games to their names, international caps etc. Lars Bender is 30 years old...

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Weren't you saying de Ligt was a flop?
Separate topic but at least De Ligt actually displayed top level quality at Ajax. With him I thought we were buying the Mbappe of defenders. An already top level player that warrants the kind of money we spent on him, who just happens to also be young. Someone who can come into the team and replace our aging world class defenders seemlessly. The same way if Mbappe comes in to replace Higuain or Mandzukic or Dybala, it would be seemless and even an instant improvement. I dont think De Ligt has done that no so I am still not convinced by him fully.

But imagine looking at De Ligt's stats before he signed for us, and seeing that his tackling and interception is less than most CBs (not even the world class ones), and imagine Ajax never qualified to the CL that season so none of us got to watch him before. Thats the situation with Tonali at the moment as far as I can tell. Hype based on FIFA.. his nationality and his resemblance to Pirlo in appearance. I wouldnt be surprised if he turns out more like Parolo than Pirlo tbh.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Separate topic but at least De Ligt actually displayed top level quality at Ajax. With him I thought we were buying the Mbappe of defenders. An already top level player that warrants the kind of money we spent on him, who just happens to also be young. Someone who can come into the team and replace our aging world class defenders seemlessly. The same way if Mbappe comes in to replace Higuain or Mandzukic or Dybala, it would be seemless and even an instant improvement. I dont think De Ligt has done that no so I am still not convinced by him fully.

But imagine looking at De Ligt's stats before he signed for us, and seeing that his tackling and interception is less than most CBs (not even the world class ones), and imagine Ajax never qualified to the CL that season so none of us got to watch him before. Thats the situation with Tonali at the moment as far as I can tell. Hype based on FIFA.. his nationality and his resemblance to Pirlo in appearance. I wouldnt be surprised if he turns out more like Parolo than Pirlo tbh.
I agree with the De Ligt vs Tonali thing. I'm simply wondering if you still think he's a flop lol. I value your input but that was a ridiculous claim.

You don't think Mbappe would have a moment of adaptation? Ronaldo had one.

Karim30

Allegri is back, life is back.
May 6, 2012
How can it be claimed that people on the forum say that Tonali will solve all our problems in midfield while literally every poster requests Tonali for the future (and to not regret missing on him like we did with Verrati)+a more established midfielder?
I guess 8 years ago people on the forum didn’t want Verrati because he has no Serie A experience; glad we dodged this bullet

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
To me he's the classic 'metronome' midfielder, he takes the ball from deep and sets the team away. Defensively he covers ground and looks to steal the ball away in a way that someone like Pjanic can't really do because he doesn't have the legs.I don't think his job is as the final midfield defender or as the offensive assist man, but I'd imagine if he played for a team like Juve he'd have a lot more assists than he does at Brescia because he has vision that is a bit wasted with more mediocre players.

So far he has what, 3 assists? In a typical Pirlo season - to take the laziest comparison - he had about 7 a season. 2011-12 was a standout season for Pirlo by far, he didn't get near that later. These sort of players will often get at least half of their assists from set pieces. If I had to make a prediction for Tonali I'd say he would be looking at 4-6 goals per season, and 6-8 assists, on average.

@Hist you're comparing a 19 year old in his first Serie A season with guys who have 150+ top flight games to their names, international caps etc. Lars Bender is 30 years old...

Camavinga is 16, and many in my post are in their early 20s. And to be clear, I am comparing him to established players because he is being touted as a fix for our CURRENT problems and an improvement over what we currently have NOW. Its only fair to compare him to the kind of players he is being said to be an improvement on NOW.

He might have a lot of potential and will be a good player in 3 years time I dont have a problem with that. And I did say his stats are that of someone who is creative from deep. But not a great passer and not a great tackler.

Pirlo was way more than just a high key passes per game. His pass success rate and the number of passes he did was staggering. Two things that Tonali have very weak stats at.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
How can it be claimed that people on the forum say that Tonali will solve all our problems in midfield while literally every poster requests Tonali for the future (and to not regret missing on him like we did with Verrati)+a more established midfielder?
I guess 8 years ago people on the forum didn’t want Verrati because he has no Serie A experience; glad we dodged this bullet

Read back in this thread and you shall find many appraisals of his current tackling and passing and the occasional comparison to what we have. I have no problem with seeing him as a future investment and not a fix for current problems.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the De Ligt vs Tonali thing. I'm simply wondering if you still think he's a flop lol. I value your input but that was a ridiculous claim.

You don't think Mbappe would have a moment of adaptation? Ronaldo had one.
With Allegri and Sarri, I bet he would you are right :)

I think Deligt will turn out to be worth it in the long term but will be a shaky defender for a couple of years. It'll be years before he gets to Barzagli/Chiellini level.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I think Deligt will turn out to be worth it in the long term but will be a shaky defender for a couple of years. It'll be years before he gets to Barzagli/Chiellini level.
I'm not sure if you have watched our games recently, you tell me, however he is bossing games left and right. Even in the first part of the season he has more great games than bad ones starting November. With incredible games against Atalanta and Atletico, especially the latter. It might be one of the best defensive performance I've seen in a while/years.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
19yo midfielder from Brescia is not supposed to set the world on fire the moment he comes. I'd comapre his situation to Bentancur's when he came here. Lots of potential but it would take a couple of years to make that leap. This would be totally fine, we still have Pjanic who is just 30yo. Let the kid grow and eventually work his way through.
50M for a 19 year old is a good thing but also a bad thing

The good: We get a player with potential and fill in the vice Pjanic role + We prevent Inter of signing a player who is very young and could become WC in the next few years
He is also very good at starting counters and it shouldnt be underestimated
The bad: 50M is something we can really use and I rather have it on a player who can improve us right now - Future is important but we must not forget the present...

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012

The good: We get a player with potential and fill in the vice Pjanic role + We prevent Inter of signing a player who is very young and could become WC in the next few years
The bad: 50M is something we can really use and I rather have it on a player who can improve us right now - Future is important but we must not forget the present...
You're overthinking it man. What we need is a Pjanic's understudy - if it is someone who is very young and full of potential, then it's even better. Pjanic needs to be rotated and there's no room for discussion here IMO.

Despite the fact we need a Pjanic's replacement, we also need some proper B2Bs, I agree with that. One doesn't exclude the other though, at least when the club manages to sell/offload the high earners who contribute very little these days.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Anyone who expects him to be saviour immediately or be Pirlo or Verratti level talent will be very dissapointed. But he is still a promising top talent we should get and develop. His ability with key passes on the counter is high level.

Hist, if you stop being hung up on stats like an American sports fan or playing too much devils advocate: I recommend you watch the last full game I saw him play, vs Milan, the amount times he needled passes to forward runs were impressive. Was still sloppy half the time but he created so many openings that I I defenitely finished that game with the thought I get the hype now.

When it comes to Italian talents, we should get him, Donnarumma and Zaniolo, each genuine top top talents in their positions. Sadly Zaniolo, my favourite is the least likely of them 3.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
People underestimate how much a young player can improve from the age of 20 to 23.

Look at how good Bentancur is now compared to when we bought him.

Tonali is extremely good for a 19 year old player and has the potential to be great.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
People underestimate how much a young player can improve from the age of 20 to 23.

Look at how good Bentancur is now compared to when we bought him.

Tonali is extremely good for a 19 year old player and has the potential to be great.
at least he is better than kuluviski .... :mino:

the boy is a key pass machine

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

The ugly?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
By the way, his stats are pretty similar to Verratti's first season at PSG
we missed out on Verratti so lamely; better not miss out on Tonali too now.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone who expects him to be saviour immediately or be Pirlo or Verratti level talent will be very dissapointed. But he is still a promising top talent we should get and develop. His ability with key passes on the counter is high level.

Hist, if you stop being hung up on stats like an American sports fan or playing too much devils advocate: I recommend you watch the last full game I saw him play, vs Milan, the amount times he needled passes to forward runs were impressive. Was still sloppy half the time but he created so many openings that I I defenitely finished that game with the thought I get the hype now.

When it comes to Italian talents, we should get him, Donnarumma and Zaniolo, each genuine top top talents in their positions. Sadly Zaniolo, my favourite is the least likely of them 3.
We should establish a monopoly on Italian talents, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)