Sandro Tonali - DM - Brescia (21 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
How much of the hype is based on "Has Potential to be Special" in FIFA vs what he is actually doing on the pitch?

I havent watched him play so I am genuinely curious what those that did have to say about him. Does he seem like already an established top player who happens to be also young or has he only shown glimpses and based on his age, he is expected to eventually develop into a top player?

Are there any stats that backup the claim that he is special (special in general not only relative to those at his age).
He is good. He runs, tackles and passes very well. He can dribble an opponent here and there and maintain possession. If you think he will post something like 15 goals + assists every season then you will be disappointed.

Is he a match winner? I'm not sure, to be honest. Is he worth pursuing? Yes.

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
that describes all of this forum. they only see the highlights on youtube, and then one poster says his good, so rest repeat it like parrots. don't trust anyone saying they have watched him

people here don't even watch juve play (even you are guilty of it) you think they are going to watch a relegation candidate farmer team?
Tonali is good. Where you may have a point in are the comparisons to Pirlo. Hair maybe but style wise is not that similar to Pirlo imo but folks keep repeating that.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
He is good. He runs, tackles and passes very well. He can dribble an opponent here and there and maintain possession. If you think he will post something like 15 goals + assists every season then you will be disappointed.

Is he a match winner? I'm not sure, to be honest. Is he worth pursuing? Yes.
so he's a pjanic

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
The one thing that stands out positively is his key passes average. Is he more of a CAM now? His numbers arent in line with the core duties of a CM or CDM. His pass success rate and avg number of passes per game is terribly low. i.e. he doesnt pass very often and his passing isnt accurate. I was struggling to find any established players with worse numbers in these positions. His tackling avg is 1.2 which is again less than almost any of them.

I do not know how some up here were insisting that he tackles and passes very well. @Lion you are right. No one is watching him. I think the love he is getting here is hype based on perceived promise not actual performances on the pitch. If he comes in now, he will not fix our midfield problems. He is currently a worse passer and tackler than what we have.

03-07-fis0h-owxin.png

03-13-chao2-1h30t.png

03-16-3mutc-k85ht.png

03-18-vm812-sk9g4.png

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
The one thing that stands out positively is his key passes average. Is he more of a CAM now? His numbers arent in line with the core duties of a CM or CDM. His pass success rate and avg number of passes per game is terribly low. i.e. he doesnt pass very often and his passing isnt accurate. I was struggling to find any established players with worse numbers in these positions. His tackling avg is 1.2 which is again less than almost any of them.

I do not know how some up here were insisting that he tackles and passes very well. @Lion you are right. No one is watching him. I think the love he is getting here is hype based on perceived promise not actual performances on the pitch. If he comes in now, he will not fix our midfield problems. He is currently a worse passer and tackler than what we have.

03-07-fis0h-owxin.png

03-13-chao2-1h30t.png

03-16-3mutc-k85ht.png

03-18-vm812-sk9g4.png
He plays for Brescia. They may have below 40% possession against most teams so comparing numbers of passes and such might be skewed

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002

03-07-fis0h-owxin.png

03-13-chao2-1h30t.png

03-16-3mutc-k85ht.png

03-18-vm812-sk9g4.png
He is a good organizer who contributes to counter attacks - other than that all is hyped over here..

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
He plays for Brescia. They may have below 40% possession against most teams so comparing numbers of passes and such might be skewed
Tackling is low too, which doesnt require possession. I am trying to find an adequate comparison but I cant think of anyone. Even bakayoko, Lars Bender, Pellegrini and Tielemans have better stats, than the so called solution to all our problems. https://screenshot.click/03-43-23jmn-0g65k.png

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Tackling is low too, which doesnt require possession. I am trying to find an adequate comparison but I cant think of anyone. Even bakayoko, Lars Bender, Pellegrini and Tielemans have better stats, than the so called solution to all our problems. https://screenshot.click/03-43-23jmn-0g65k.png
I too like stats, but with players like him they don't tell the whole truth.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Solution to our mid could be Pogba or someone else - SMS and I`d even add Luis Alberto who has some creativity in him even if I think we need someone with more physique
Tonali would just take the vice Pjanic role..

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you've seen him a lot huh
Mostly against top clubs but sometimes also vs weaker teams so yeah I have seen a bit of him..
Kulusevski - Thats a guy I havent seen much of...

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I too like stats, but with players like him they don't tell the whole truth.
I get that but his stats are thus far showing a weak player in passing and tackling. Worse than Xhaka, Bruno Fernandes, Ndidi and Camavinga.

And the perception here was that he will fix our problems because he would be instantly better than Matuidi, Khedira and Bentacur, at passing and tackling. Not in 3 or 4 years but now.

The data says he is worse at both attributes, and that the one thing he stands out in is key passes. None of us watch him, and so we shouldnt speak too confidently about what he is amazing at.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
And the perception here was that he will fix our problems because he would be instantly better than Matuidi, Khedira and Bentacur, at passing and tackling. Not in 3 or 4 years but now.
That might be over the top indeed, to me he simply seems like a promising young italian mid we shouldn't miss out on.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Solution to our mid could be Pogba or someone else - SMS and I`d even add Luis Alberto who has some creativity in him even if I think we need someone with more physique
Tonali would just take the vice Pjanic role..

- - - Updated - - -

Mostly against top clubs but sometimes also vs weaker teams so yeah I have seen a bit of him..
Kulusevski - Thats a guy I havent seen much of...
Ironically he is the one guy whose stats are really almost identical to tonali. Same number of tackles and key passes. Higher by 5% in pass success rate than Tonali but the number of passes per game in general is less. But he brings more goals and assists by virtue of playing further up the pitch.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I get that but his stats are thus far showing a weak player in passing and tackling. Worse than Xhaka, Bruno Fernandes, Ndidi and Camavinga.

The data says he is worse at both attributes, and that the one thing he stands out in is key passes. None of us watch him, and so we shouldnt speak too confidently about what he is amazing at.
Weren't you saying de Ligt was a flop?

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012

19yo midfielder from Brescia is not supposed to set the world on fire the moment he comes. I'd comapre his situation to Bentancur's when he came here. Lots of potential but it would take a couple of years to make that leap. This would be totally fine, we still have Pjanic who is just 30yo. Let the kid grow and eventually work his way through.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
he's a young player with mad promise i dont think anyone is saying he is an immediate solution to any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)