Samuel Iling-Junior (3 Viewers)

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
That last part is pretty interesting, especially when you consider how Allegri uses Fagioli. If you look at his heat maps, he spends a lot of time out wide. No reason Iling couldn't operate as a mezzala, but on the left. Gotta figure out a way to get him on the field more, and Kostic is too important for a time share.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Don't think Iling will do well in a mezzela role. I've been wrong many a times though so, fingers crossed. He will however, do better than MDS. Everyone does better than MDS.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Genuine question; why not?
I have been pondering about it. As soon as I posted it I started to think about and can't get my head around it. One problem is obviously that I've seen to little from him. So it's mostly based on a hunch, I will now try to logically attack that hunch but I suspect I will fall back in the end on "well, it's just a hunch".

He is erratic and extremely fast, things I look for and rate highly for players out wide. Not really CM (or mezzela in this case).
He's got good technique but his first touch is a bit slower, which you don't have time for if you move in the inner corridors.
In the last few games he didn't seem to move around much without the ball. There could be a large number of reasons for that but someone that has played out wide his entire career is accustomed to always having space. You don't need to chase it (unless you're the Müller type). A mezzela chases pockets since there rarely is none. Now I don't know his story so maybe he used to be a CM previously, then my point is mute.
His shooting is quite poor but his crossing is decent. This could be a potential problem for us when we break down teams. You want to have a few that can potentially fire it home from a distance. But we lack that skill in our squad, so I'd rather take what I can get. Like, Miretti has a potentially better shot so I'd rather toss him in, kind of. But this is of course not an Iling problem but a squad issue (among many).
His passing hasn't struck me before. Seems like more like to person that open spaces through dribbling rather than passes (which I value a lot, so it's not a critique). Someone who has seen him more should be able to correct me.
I like is his aggressiveness and that he is "big". His reading of the game and all of those aspects is too hard to make sense of someone who only played a few minutes as a wingback. If they are there, great, if not then that would be problematic for a CM/mezzela. Not so much for a winger.

I think all of these points could be easily refuted by someone who has seen him more. I've only seen highlights and the few minutes with the senior team. I like him a lot, he is very raw but has characteristics we lack, especially with Chiesa out. Well, I raise my hands and say I don't know. It's just a gut feeling. From what I've seen I think he would be more useful for us as a winger but if he can cope in the middle I'll very happy.

I should also add that I saw some highlights now, where his first touch looked really good. So maybe it was just nerves or I paid attention at the wrong time when I saw him.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is better, Saka or Iling Junior?
Gnabry or Iling Jr? The latter of course!

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Soule played quite a good match today. I wonder about Iling Jr., We havent saw him played lately since our absentees return from injury. I hope he can get some minutes again. We have lots of games with UEL, Coppa, and Serie A

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Made a difference when coming on. Needs to learn how to control or pass the ball in the defence phase by using allegris pragmatic style and then will do wonders

Or he may just turn worse.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I won't comment his football, because we all know that eventually he'll play in the Championship. But what's with that upper lip?
Both lips. Clearly some sort of medical issue, could be something like a chronic or autoimmune angioedema. Probably shouldn't be taking the piss out of them. If you look at pics from when he was at Chelsea they look much different.

Last edited:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
So what did he do wrong to earn so little game time all those months?
Nothing really, its just that he has one position and Kostic is never injured (and allegri likes using chiesa as left wing too). Hope I didnt jinx Filip now.

Or he sees him in training and feels his end product isn't all there yet. Tho in his little minutes he has been behind 3 goals.

So I think its mainly his position. If he could play RW or AM like Soule he prolly could get way more minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)