Salvatore Schillaci (1 Viewer)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Hey ppl,
Dunno how many of yall remember Schillachi. The balding forward from Italia 90, who partnered Roberto Baggio upfront. He used to be a substitute, and would more often than not come on and score. He was one of my faverite Italian players back then. I think it was just after that Juventus signed him. The last i heard was he signed with Jubilo Iwata in the J league. But dont know what happened to him ever since?!
Does any one here know what he's up to?!?! If he still plays\coaches or has retired completely frm football? Have ne of yall seen him play?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
no espectro, thats squillaci, the young defender who may very well end up at juve next season anyway.

Schillaci was a great player in italia 90, and i believe he scored over 10 free kicks that season for juve as well?? i think he did anyway, i remember a state as such...

i actually named my cat after him at the time when i was 8 or 9 years old:D

too bad after the WC he really didnt play well domestically anyway. he then moved to Inter and then back to Palermo i think? not sure if that was before or after going to Japan. but last i heard he was back in Sicily and has his own youth clinic.

thats what i read, not sure if its correct though.

OP
baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    Oh he does? Is he popular in Italy now or totally forgotten?

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    He went to Japan and played for Jubilo Iwata, came back and played for Palermo.

Toto was one of my favorite players.. he played for Inter towards the end of his career before going to Japan.

I will never forget his great performances in Italia 90 (top scorer).

he could have achieved so much more :down:

i don't know if you guys remember, but his inclusion in the Azzurri squad for the World Cup was a very contraversial one. There were rumors that the Mafia was involved. But he shut them up with his performances.

Forza TOTO !!

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Salvatore Toto Schilacci, was at Juve pre90 wc where he did very well and went to wc as a sub but came out of it a hero, totally outshinig the striker who every one and Italy especially thought would be the star, Gianluca Vialli
    Afetr the wc Juve were hoping that Baggio- Schilacci patnership would gel but unfortunately it did not both for Nt and at Juve, were they were upstaged by Vialli-Mancini patnership which won scudetto and then to the Nt
    Vialli was then bought and ironically replaced Schilacci who went to Inter

I read a sad story where some idiot gave up his season ticket cos he was angry that Inter bought a sicilian, Schilacci, to his club , Inter

It did not quite happen for him after that and sadly he would be remembered as a 1 hit wonder

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Toto was a great player, and being mostly Sicilian myself, am very proud of him !!!!

I think one of the reasons he was almost left out of the Italia '90 side as a starter was because he was Sicilian, and the farther back you go into the past, the more you see discrimination against Sicilians and other southern Italians.

I remember seeing a sign during Italia '90 at one of Italys games (cant remember which game or stadium) but it said "Hey Toto, not bad for a Sicilian "

Funny how things are...........

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Too True.

Southern Italians do get a bad rap. My family is from Rome/Central Italy, and sometimes they make those backhanded remarks (not my parents, but my relatives who still live in Italy), and I could never figure it out.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
    Toto was a great player, and being mostly Sicilian myself, am very proud of him !!!!

I think one of the reasons he was almost left out of the Italia '90 side as a starter was because he was Sicilian, and the farther back you go into the past, the more you see discrimination against Sicilians and other southern Italians.

I remember seeing a sign during Italia '90 at one of Italys games (cant remember which game or stadium) but it said "Hey Toto, not bad for a Sicilian "

Funny how things are...........
    I am not too sure thats why he was left out, cos if memory serves me right before that season Toto was not even in serieA, he just came from nowhere and was one of the highest if not the highest scoring Italian that particular season
    I actually believed Vincini would go with Vialli-Mancini partnership but he surprised me by going with Vialli-Carnevale against Austria before Toto came on and scored and the rest as they say is history
    Mancini did not play a single minute with Vincini opting for Vialli, Shilacci, Baggio and Serena(why?)

But it is sad to read that kind of discrimination going on

Thank goodness for Vito Corleone:D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
    Hey ppl,
    Dunno how many of yall remember Schillachi.
    Little so-and-so knocked Ireland out of Italia '90 in the quarter finals. :D Yeah, I remember him, and he starred in an ad for Guinness over here not so long ago.

As far as I remember, in the ad, an Italian bloke in a pub introduces his friend (who is out of shot) to two others (both Irish) as Toto, Toto Schillaci. The Irish blokes, assuming the Italian is pulling their legs, introduce themselves as Ray Houghton and Paul McGrath (two of Ireland's stars at that World Cup). Then Toto appears in shot, and all they can say in their surprise is "good goal". :) Naturally, it's funnier if you see it.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
    Hey ppl,
    Dunno how many of yall remember Schillachi. The balding forward from Italia 90, who partnered Roberto Baggio upfront. He used to be a substitute, and would more often than not come on and score. He was one of my faverite Italian players back then. I think it was just after that Juventus signed him. The last i heard was he signed with Jubilo Iwata in the J league. But dont know what happened to him ever since?!
    Does any one here know what he's up to?!?! If he still plays\coaches or has retired completely frm football? Have ne of yall seen him play?
    Yes in Italia 90 he was supposed to be a sub... than he "exploded" togeder with Baggio so Vicini was "forced" to put him in the field.
    In his teams he didn't do that mutch... he is remembered mostly 4 Italia 90 so a schort moment but what an important moment: the home WC! So he is very loved here. I don't think he is such a champion but he was really the right men at the right moment. After Juve he went to Inter than to Japan, than he retired few years ago and now he owns a soccer school in Sicily.

OP
    baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    Cannot forget that first goal he scored against Argentina in Italia 90, in the semis.
    Was so sure Italy were through.....
    But its just another sour memory thanks to the equaliser, almost as bad as the euro 2000 final.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Where are they now? Salvatore Schillaci

Salvatore Schillaci was born in Palermo, Sicily on December 1 1964 to a very poor family, and began his playing career at local amateur side Amat Palermo. Soon, however, he was signed as an 18-year-old by fourth-tier side Messina, and the club rose up to Serie B; Toto's 23 goals in that division in 1988-89 caught the eye of Juventus manager and Italy legend Dino Zoff.

With the World Cup due to be hosted in Italy at the end of the season, Toto hit form at the perfect time - his 15 goals helped Juve to a Coppa Italia and UEFA Cup double. Italy boss Azeglio Vicini called him up, and he made his international debut on March 1 in a friendly against Switzerland. Despite competition from star strikers including Roberto Baggio, Gianluca Vialli and Roberto Mancini, Schillaci made the cut for the 22-man World Cup squad.

The fairytale continued in the hosts' opening match against Austria: coming off the bench with less than 15 minutes remaining, he headed the winner within two minutes. Despite his heroics, Vicini left him on the bench again against the USA, but when giving a starting berth against Czechoslovakia he took just nine minutes to justify his place with the opening goal of a 2-0 win. Italy's unlikely hero scored in each subsequent match up to and including the semi-finals, where the Azzurri were defeated by reigning champions Argentina. Schillaci sealed his claim on the Golden Boot by scoring his sixth goal of the tournament in the third-place play-off win over England, and etched his name forever into World Cup history.

This is now...

After the World Cup the goals soon dried up for Toto. He only managed five in Serie A for Juventus the following season, and his next international strike, almost a year later against Norway, proved to be his last. A two-year spell at Internazionale was unsuccessful, and in 1994 Toto sought a new lease of life in Japan, becoming the first Italian to venture into the nascent J-League.

At Jubilo Iwata Toto's career was indeed reinvigorated, culminating in his final season in Japan in 1997 when the club won the league and were runners-up in the J-League Cup.

Upon retiring he moved back to his native Sicily, where he founded a football academy, had a stint as a local councillor in Palermo and appeared on reality TV show L’isola dei Famosi, the Italian celebrity version of Survivor. He also popped up on an Irish beer advert in 2002.

Unsurprisingly, his career nosedive has not dimmed the memories of those Notti Magiche di Schillaci, something for which the man himself will forever be grateful: "Even when I go abroad, thanks to the World Cup people know who I am. For any player, playing for your country should be your first priority because it can change your life, the way it changed mine."

Eurosport

--------------------------------------

I did not want to open a new thread in the history forum. I found this thread and prefer it to be moved there because it has some nice info about him.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    Isn't he playing with Monaco??
    lol

He went to Japan and played for Jubilo Iwata, came back and played for Palermo.

Toto was one of my favorite players.. he played for Inter towards the end of his career before going to Japan.

I will never forget his great performances in Italia 90 (top scorer).

he could have achieved so much more :down:

i don't know if you guys remember, but his inclusion in the Azzurri squad for the World Cup was a very contraversial one. There were rumors that the Mafia was involved. But he shut them up with his performances.

Forza TOTO !!
    he was the right player,at the right time and became an icon for his performance at the world cup. he was one of those players that explode briefly and hit heights that they would not normally come close to reaching completely by accident

he was not a wondeful player but for a short period of time,he was simply amazing

I read a sad story where some idiot gave up his season ticket cos he was angry that Inter bought a sicilian, Schilacci, to his club , Inter

It did not quite happen for him after that and sadly he would be remembered as a 1 hit wonder
    :lol: Inter fan burning his season ticket because of a Siciillian,but it is ok for several Argentines,Brazilians,Africans,Europeans to represent them :lol:

and yeah a complete 1-hit wonder

Neutrol

Anti-Moggi
    May 24, 2009

Toto Schillaci interview:

Do you like this Juve?
    "At first no, now I do, I watched the game against Catania and I must say this Juve is growing with every game. Great game on the wings and then theres Delneri, I've known him since Palermo, an excellent coach and makes his teams play very well."

Scudetto?
    "I don't know, a few tweaks are needed. We need a another striker and a defender to complete the team."

The duo of Iaquinta and Quagliarella, reminds you of Schillaci-Casiraghi?
    "Yes, it's true, you're right. Quagliarella reminiscent of me, quick, good technique, shoots dry and deadly, while Iaquinta fights a lot, creates opportunities, it gives depth to the team. It's a well-matched pair as that of '90 who won the Uefa Cup with the great Zoff and the Italian Cup. They can do very well."

Simone Pepe, universal player?
    "Pepe was also in Palermo, I followed his growth ... He can run and fight for the team. There's a few players who have different characteristics and are maturing a lot. The defense is settling down, with Chiellini and Bonucci who both play for the national team, and this young Sorensen, who is doing well, a weapon for this Juve."

:juventus:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)