Roma hit by Mexes ban (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Roma hit by Mexes ban
Wednesday 1 September, 2004

Philippe Mexes has been suspended for six weeks by FIFA as a result of his controversial move from Auxerre to Roma.

Football’s world governing body were asked to intervene after the two clubs failed to agree a fee for the stopper.

Mexes signed a contract with the Giallorossi even though the French outfit insisted he still belonged to them.

Although the player has been a part of Roma’s pre-season, the French FA had failed to recognise the transfer.

Reports today suggest that the suspension will begin on September 12, the start of the Serie A season, and will last for 45 days.

That has ruled the player out of numerous Serie A ties and three Champions’ League games against Real Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen and Dynamo Kiev.

Mexes is now expected to appeal against his punishment with the aim of getting it scrapped or reduced.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
If the hasn't been a fee agreed, much less paid, he's still an Auxerre player, so surely he's just not allowed to play for Roma? This sounds outright crooked.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Fifa were supposed to rule on the legitimacy of his transfer, suspending him makes no sense and is of very little consequence to Roma if he's recognized as a Roma player.

Fifa.. :wallbang:

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    This is great, ROma will lose out big time in the eyes of club managers and chairmans all over the world. Soon noone will want to do business with them.

xziz

Aug 30, 2004
    I cannot believe we had to pay the full price for Emerson, while Roma should not do the same for Mexes.

Xziz

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by xziz ] ++
    I cannot believe we had to pay the full price for Emerson, while Roma should not do the same for Mexes.

Xziz
    we have dignity and pride though.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
    Yup, people can criticise Juve for not wanting to spend too much cash on players, and conducting lots of cash+players transfers, but atleast Juve's got pride and honesty by not trying to buy with money they don't have.

U'd think they have the money to settle all of this after emerson's transfer. Although I think Roma's conducted pretty good transfers this season, cases,such as this one, will definetly ruin roma's reputation in the market.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    :howler:

Majed, you know it's a jungle out there, deals are being made head over heals and Juve is no more dignified than any other club, anyone remember how we jacked Athirson from Flamengo for about £2m while they wanted £10m, Fifa ruled and we basically had to give him up?

On Mexes, maybe the numbers I've heard aren't accurate but I heard he was valued at E5m (which is still a steal), while Roma insisted on paying his alleged (and much contested clearly) minimum release fee which was half of that.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    On Mexes, maybe the numbers I've heard aren't accurate but I heard he was valued at E5m (which is still a steal), while Roma insisted on paying his alleged (and much contested clearly) minimum release fee which was half of that.
    So, either he has or he hasn't a minimum fee release clause in his contract. If he doesn't (or if it's not applicable, as seems more likely given that the idea of Roma inventing one is pretty farcical!), then Auxerre have the right to sue through the courts. In the meantime, Mexes would play with Auxerre, unless FIFA ruled otherwise (basically depending on whether they agree with Auxerre's interpretation or not). Man, that's messy.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    :howler:

Majed, you know it's a jungle out there, deals are being made head over heals and Juve is no more dignified than any other club, anyone remember how we jacked Athirson from Flamengo for about £2m while they wanted £10m, Fifa ruled and we basically had to give him up?

I can only imagine the jungle...

God I know Juve are no angels... specially in the mercato and Moggi involved, but you have to give Juve credit for looking good and still keeping control in ugly situations. (not just the mercato) :D

In Roma's case it's different. They have a history of making fools of themselves. Remember the whole Chivu and fake bank statements thing?
    for the past couple of years they could barely make the funds to play in serie A and their players dont get paid for months yet they still show a lack of dignity and they spend on new players somehow (I admire their will, but it'll get them in trouble sooner or later).

I know Juve have it better, but Roma should get back down to earth.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Well we seem to be a lot more organized, our finances are fairly solid and we don't rely on loans as much. But that doesn't mean we're gentler, kinder.. :undecide:

Ie. Roma is the guy that breaks into your house, steals your remote control but forgets about the tv and leaves his business card on the coffee table. Juve is the guy who rips you off without you knowing what happened and the FBI have no clues.

;)

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    :LOL::LOL::LOL: @ Martin! It does sound like Roma has made a real mess of it. These kind of messy deals will catch up with them eventually

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Well we seem to be a lot more organized, our finances are fairly solid and we don't rely on loans as much. But that doesn't mean we're gentler, kinder.. :undecide:

Ie. Roma is the guy that breaks into your house, steals your remote control but forgets about the tv and leaves his business card on the coffee table. Juve is the guy who rips you off without you knowing what happened and the FBI have no clues.

;)
    :LOL: Thats a fantastic comparison Martin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)