Rodrigo Bentancur (23 Viewers)

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
I loved the face he put when he made the tackle because he knew inmediately he was about to receive the 2nd yellow

Bad game, still my MF selection right now are Mcburger, Rambo and Benta

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
The midfielder in front of the defense needs to be WAY better at handling the press. That's like 80% of Milan's game plan, press like madmen and force errors and counter. Bentancur was caught far to off guard by this. Arthur is miles better at anticipating the pass he has to make when he receives the ball under pressure, like Barca players do, like Jorginho, or like Pirlo used to do better than anyone.

Having someone like that in the center of the team lets team release pressure and stop the momentum in tricky situations. Bentancur is not great at this, he isn't great at much in general.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that it would be difficult to see juve sign locatelli as rovella now very close to join. He and bentancur have the same style of play as rovella.
Rovella is not at Locatelli's level, at least yet. He just turned 19 and has 10 Serie A games. Locatelli has more than 100 and is making teams of the season at 22.

We should really try to sign him, regardless of what it means for Bentancur.

Jun 6, 2015
Shitty game yesterday from him but he's still by far the best option we have for that position. As someone who used to play in that same position I don't envy him at all at the moment. The way Pirlo has us set up he's basically often the lone real midfielder we have on the pitch. He's basically tasked at being a Casemiro and a Pirlo in one package. Thankfully to some degree he has a pretty complete set of attributes to be that kind of complete midfielder but it's still a big ask for a 23 year old to dominate the midfield alone. He is capable of doing it against the Parma's and and Udinese's but not against tougher opponents. Probably for that reason Pirlo played Rabiot there to give him a bit of help against Milan. Have to say I'm somewhat perplexed that people have watched him for ≈3 years now and still don't understand what a special player we have in our hands.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I dont expect him to dominate the midfield but he would instantly improve by few levels if he stopped giving the ball away near our box. This is happening in nearly every game, severall times per match. Last night he went even further, losing the ball into our box. Perplexed that after 3 years of watching him, some people dont understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

Way too inconsistent. Too often he is either great or awful

should not be a starter at this point
Who to replace him from current roster?

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
A standard Bentancur game:

Make a few simple passes, commit a cynical foul.

Give the ball away 2-3 times Infront of our defence.

Fuck up a few simple passes

Get booked for another blatant foul.

Now that the yellow card is secured, start ploughing into players and stop holding back. Because as far as I can tell, he seems to get WORSE after the first card

- - - Updated - - -

I dont expect him to dominate the midfield but he would instantly improve by few levels if he stopped giving the ball away near our box. This is happening in nearly every game, severall times per match. Last night he went even further, losing the ball into our box. Perplexed that after 3 years of watching him, some people dont understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

Who to replace him from current roster?

Midfield 3 should be Arthur holding, McKennie B2b and literally any of the others depending on who's in form. I'd say Rabiot but only those two should be starting regularly

Jun 6, 2015
Yes he does that way too often and yesterday was a bad day for him in that sense. Perhaps this is the problem as people base their judgement on incidents rather than the complete performance. Thankfully the man that currently matters, Pirlo, knows a thing or two about being a midfielder.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Yes he does that way too often and yesterday was bad day for him in that sense. Perhaps this is the problem as people base their judgement on incidents rather than the complete performance. Thankfully the man that currently matters, Pirlo, knows a thing or two about being a midfielder.
Incidents tend to decide the outcome. Red card, bad pass, etc.. This happens frequently to him. You can have a good game up to a point when you lose a ball in dangerous area and you ruin your team's efforts. He cant get a passing grade after it unless you are deluded fanboy.

Jun 6, 2015
Incidents tend to decide the outcome. Red card, bad pass, etc.. You can have a good game up to a point when you lose a ball in dangerous area and you ruin your team's efforts. He cant get a passing grade after it unless you are deluded fanboy.
Of course. But it's very simplistic to judge players ability solely based on those bad incidents (which is what a lot of people are doing). Obviously he needs to some degree cut out those mistakes from his game if he wants to eventually be considered as one of the top mids around. It's not always that easy though as even in that position you need to have the bravery to play and take some risks. I hope he doesn't get too scared of making a mistake because that kind of mindset hinders any player who is tasked with a prominent role in playing the ball.

Jun 16, 2020
Shitty game yesterday from him but he's still by far the best option we have for that position. As someone who used to play in that same position I don't envy him at all at the moment. The way Pirlo has us set up he's basically often the lone real midfielder we have on the pitch. He's basically tasked at being a Casemiro and a Pirlo in one package. Thankfully to some degree he has a pretty complete set of attributes to be that kind of complete midfielder but it's still a big ask for a 23 year old to dominate the midfield alone. He is capable of doing it against the Parma's and and Udinese's but not against tougher opponents. Probably for that reason Pirlo played Rabiot there to give him a bit of help against Milan. Have to say I'm somewhat perplexed that people have watched him for ≈3 years now and still don't understand what a special player we have in our hands.
Good post. Before last season, I had a hard time understanding what kind of midfielder he exactly is. He seems to be pretty complete except for being a real goal threat, but that doesn’t matter.

As for the game he had a hard job, arguably the most difficult one on the pitch. Milan pressed hard and when possible, Rabiot pressed high on joined our attacking players leaving Bentancur as only central midfielder. If he doesn’t lose his head he has great potential, and he should improve his passing a bit more.

Still has a long way to go to become a world class midfielder, but definitely has the tools.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Of course. But it's very simplistic to judge players ability solely based on those bad incidents (which is what a lot of people are doing). Obviously he needs to some degree cut out those mistakes from his game if he wants to eventually be considered as one of the top mids around. It's not always that easy though as even in that position you need to have the bravery to play and take some risks. I hope he doesn't get too scared of making a mistake because that kind of mindset hinders any player who is tasked with a prominent role in playing the ball.
When you lose a ball as frequently as he does, it's a huge issue. It undermines entire team's efforts. Taking risks is fine, but not infront of your own box and not in a way he does. Often you can see it from a mile away that what he intends to do wont end well for us. He goes into a dribbling when he is completely closed down. Im not gonna lower my standards of what Id expect from our midfielders. Its very simple, dont clown around near our goal for a start

Jun 6, 2015
Good post. Before last season, I had a hard time understanding what kind of midfielder he exactly is. He seems to be pretty complete except for being a real goal threat, but that doesn’t matter.

As for the game he had a hard job, arguably the most difficult one on the pitch. Milan pressed hard and when possible, Rabiot pressed high on joined our attacking players leaving Bentancur as only central midfielder. If he doesn’t lose his head he has great potential, and he should improve his passing a bit more.

Still has a long way to go to become a world class midfielder, but definitely has the tools.
Yeah he has no attacking game to speak of so a complete midfielder is probably not the right way to describe him. What I meant by it is that for that type of controlling role that he is currently playing, he has a pretty complete skill set. He is fast, strong enough in duels, has a good first touch and is decent enough passer (most of the time). What has impressed me most this season are those line breaking passes he is playing quite regularly now. I didn't think he had such passing ability before this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)