Rodrigo Bentancur (29 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I was hoping, in theory, that under Sarri we would see a growth boom in Bentancur's offensive contribution but we haven't seen an improvement at all in his shooting, for example.
Yeah, scoring wise he's a 1 or 2 goals per season player ever since he joined. There was a growth in his offensive contribution last year, though - assists wise. He made 7 assists, which is more than the 0 and the 3 he made under Allegri in 17/18 and 18/19.
This year, however, I don't even remember him creating a chance for a teammate. Apart from that one shot yesterday, I don't remember him in a scoring chance either. That's because he's not getting close to the goal this year, unlike in the Sarri season.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
He breaks up play? That seems to be the only argument that actually holds any weight. I hate to break it to you, but there are many CMs that can break up play from the mighty Genoa all throughout Italy, I mean they are 2nd from last so is it really an achievement to write home about? No. It isn't.

Overall, he is a rotational level player and nothing more. It's not anything to get angry about.
No one is saying he doesn't work hard. We all appreciate his effort. But its time to upgrade to players that still provide high levels of effort but more to the overall team play.
He breaks up play and starts our every attack. He has Rabiot, Wenston, Cuadrado, Chiesa, CR, and Dybala in front of him, quite often Sandro too.
I am not angry, Hust, and kid really didn't develop shooting and quite probably won't, cause you either have it or don't. It's that kid had a decent game, all things considered, even Gazetta gave him 6.5 only behind 7 for Wenston and CR, but tuzzers still pile on him.
I don't mind an update at all, just don't see a player who is a clear update and we can get him.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
He breaks up play and starts our every attack. He has Rabiot, Wenston, Cuadrado, Chiesa, CR, and Dybala in front of him, quite often Sandro too.
I am not angry, Hust, and kid really didn't develop shooting and quite probably won't, cause you either have it or don't. It's that kid had a decent game, all things considered, even Gazetta gave him 6.5 only behind 7 for Wenston and CR, but tuzzers still pile on him.
I don't mind an update at all, just don't see a player who is a clear update and we can get him.
For me, I like him further up b/c he has a habit of getting some pretty silly yellow cards near our box. He hustles a lot and is fearless going into challenges (my favorite attribute) but I just can help be get the feeling this is his max and I'm OK with that as long as he isn't a starter b/c we don't have anyone better. This season we are limited and I get that but if the Pogba rumors are true thats the kind of CM we need to be looking at. Bentancur needs to see another midfielder in the team that can sorta do a little bit of everything and do them well, versus very offensive or very defensive.

It's still a tough one for me. I get nervous when I see him cueing up for a tackle near our box and he means well but sometimes that decision making near our box is shaky. As Alen is saying, under Sarri he had a lot of assists but thats because he was moved up and seems to take more risks. I will always defend any CM we have that takes it upon themselves to try and create in the final third. More so now, actually, because Pirlo has instructed our team to pressure hard when losing possession so the team works harder to get the ball back.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
For me, I like him further up b/c he has a habit of getting some pretty silly yellow cards near our box. He hustles a lot and is fearless going into challenges (my favorite attribute) but I just can help be get the feeling this is his max and I'm OK with that as long as he isn't a starter b/c we don't have anyone better. This season we are limited and I get that but if the Pogba rumors are true thats the kind of CM we need to be looking at. Bentancur needs to see another midfielder in the team that can sorta do a little bit of everything and do them well, versus very offensive or very defensive.

It's still a tough one for me. I get nervous when I see him cueing up for a tackle near our box and he means well but sometimes that decision making near our box is shaky. As Alen is saying, under Sarri he had a lot of assists but thats because he was moved up and seems to take more risks. I will always defend any CM we have that takes it upon themselves to try and create in the final third. More so now, actually, because Pirlo has instructed our team to pressure hard when losing possession so the team works harder to get the ball back.
Well, he had a green light from Sarri and played a little different. With Pirlo he is a pivot, if he manages to create something – great, but that's not his main responsibility, and he doesn't have Miralem behind him now, it's only BonBon, MDL and sometimes Sandro/Danilo.
All I'm saying is that he might not develop as some hoped, but he was alright yesterday. In my book, he was a 3-4 best player after Winston, Juan and maybe MDL.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Well, he had a green light from Sarri and played a little different. With Pirlo he is a pivot, if he manages to create something – great, but that's not his main responsibility, and he doesn't have Miralem behind him now, it's only BonBon, MDL and sometimes Sandro/Danilo.
All I'm saying is that he might not develop as some hoped, but he was alright yesterday. In my book, he was a 3-4 best player after Winston, Juan and maybe MDL.
Pjanic was probably a nightmare to clean up after lol

I agree with the last part, I think he has peaked or close to it and I'm ok with that and I'm ok with him being rotational. We need improvements in midfield.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Pjanic was probably a nightmare to clean up after lol

I agree with the last part, I think he has peaked or close to it and I'm ok with that and I'm ok with him being rotational. We need improvements in midfield.
Why would he have peaked?

He's 23. A few months older than Chiesa and Locatelli who we talk about as having potential. Only a year older than McKennie too.

He has lots of time to develop and has been since he arrived.

I agree that our midfield needs improvements though.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Why would he have peaked?

He's 23. A few months older than Chiesa and Locatelli who we talk about as having potential. Only a year older than McKennie too.

He has lots of time to develop and has been since he arrived.

I agree that our midfield needs improvements though.
Maybe I'm wrong, I am hoping as many of you that we see an explosion from him so I guess I will believe it when I see it.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Maybe I'm wrong, I am hoping as many of you that we see an explosion from him so I guess I will believe it when I see it.
I'd wager there is never going to be an explosion. Rodrigo will gradually improve like he was doing up to this day and end up Pesotto kind of player – nothing flashy, even dull, but reliable as hell, kind of "notice him only when he is absent", favorite of hipster fans and hopefully without a suicide attempt somewhere down the line.

Oct 23, 2011
Does everything in first gear. No urgency whatsoever, he plays in the same tempo whether we lead 5-0 or chasing a lead in the last minute. Not sure how much you can improve decision-making, but it is horrible for a player that is supposed to be world-class one day.

Mookieb10

Apr 5, 2018
I'd wager there is never going to be an explosion. Rodrigo will gradually improve like he was doing up to this day and end up Pesotto kind of player – nothing flashy, even dull, but reliable as hell, kind of "notice him only when he is absent", favorite of hipster fans and hopefully without a suicide attempt somewhere down the line.
. I understand improvement is not a linear motion, but he makes more big mistakes than even two-three years ago. Yes, a bad pass can be amplified more as a regista, but they do not come in an acceptable quantity. Bentancur is, what Bill Belichick calls, a JAG (just a guy). A JAG is easily replaced and hardly ever missed once parted ways with. If Bentancur left the club, would there ever be a moment where you’d look at a midfielder and said, “damn I wish this new guy did __________ like Bentancur did.” Never would you say this. Bentancur is dictionary definition of a JAG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)