Rodrigo Bentancur (12 Viewers)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
We keep forgetting about this player. Is it impossible for him and Pjanic to play as starters? Cant Pjanic be given a more offenssive role why Bentancur gets the DM role?
This is what I would prefer. At least try it. Pjanic has played LCM before and Bentancur is going to be a monster DM.

But this situation could be forced by Bentancur who I expect to be clearly our 2nd best mid as soon as the season starts and it will be too obvious to ignore. Max will adjust something.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Apr 19, 2007
This is what I would prefer. At least try it. Pjanic has played LCM before and Bentancur is going to be a monster DM.

But this situation could be forced by Bentancur who I expect to be clearly our 2nd best mid as soon as the season starts and it will be too obvious to ignore. Max will adjust something.
Hes good but its a matter of what Max is looking for. He is our second best passer I agree but does max want someone more tactically sound like Khedira/Can? Can run and cover like Matuidi. We have a lot of players that can hold the ball now and Bonucci to help with playing deeper. The only issue for me with Bent is him playing as a b2b. Can he do it? If not I dont see Max moving Pjanic to accomodate early on

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Hes good but its a matter of what Max is looking for. He is our second best passer I agree but does max want someone more tactically sound like Khedira/Can? Can run and cover like Matuidi. We have a lot of players that can hold the ball now and Bonucci to help with playing deeper. The only issue for me with Bent is him playing as a b2b. Can he do it? If not I dont see Max moving Pjanic to accomodate early on
I don't think he's as good as Pjanic in the final 3rd so I would prefer Pjanic as B2B.

I think the issue with Allegri is whether he wants Pjanic as B2B at all. There's no question for me that Bentancur can play all our games at DM and we'll be fine.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I feel Bentacur is a little overrated on this forum at the moment. Has not showen much to get all these rave reviews. He has had a handful of nice dribbles and some energetic moments, but has shown little that actually led to something. Usually he’s even reckless and leaves enormous gaps in midfield. He’s very raw.

Monty

Tuz Royalty
May 2, 2017
I feel Bentacur is a little overrated on this forum at the moment. Has not showen much to get all these rave reviews. He has had a handful of nice dribbles and some energetic moments, but has shown little that actually led to something. Usually he’s even reckless and leaves enormous gaps in midfield. He’s very raw.
Agreed, he gave away a lot of freekicks in bad places in the WC, one which resulted in the France goal

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
It's just the total package he has. Height, aerial ability, aggression, pace to stop counters, calmness on the ball, passing vision, ability to side step a forward pressing him and break the line.

These are all attributes he has clearly shown so he's exciting. But to me this is as a regista only. As a B2B or a traditional CM in a 4-4-2, I think these are sub-optimal for him.

He's by no means a finished product but at that age he has shown a lot.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
:agree: The fact that people want him to just start is worrying.

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
Feel just like Rugs only needs more time on pitch. Maybe greater upside than Rugs but play him as much as possible against the weaker league competition. Best of Khedira and CM8 won't be enough for CL 2019 success. Guy is so ACTIVE on the pitch. Teach him Max.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Or it could just be that our midfield is quite weak, and he'd be an interesting option given the lack of choices. Pjanic and Matuidi are your 2 starters in a 3 man midfield, but who's the 3rd? Khedira is incredibly meh, Can has it all to prove and is by no means an established player or a guaranteed starter, Marchisio has seen better days, and then there's that thing that refuses to go away. I'd start Bentancur ahead of all of them tbh. Another option/alternative is playing Berna as RCM.

Apr 19, 2007
Worrying? Ill let you in on a secret that i know. People wanting him to start on a forum has zero say in whether he does or if what will happen to him. Max sees him every day and he will make the choice so I wouldnt "worry" about players rating him highly

- - - Updated - - -

Or it could just be that our midfield is quite weak, and he'd be an interesting option given the lack of choices. Pjanic and Matuidi are your 2 starters in a 3 man midfield, but who's the 3rd? Khedira is incredibly meh, Can has it all to prove and is by no means an established player or a guaranteed starter, Marchisio has seen better days, and then there's that thing that refuses to go away. I'd start Bentancur ahead of all of them tbh. Another option/alternative is playing Berna as RCM.
People might be mad but I think that Khedira and Matuidi start alongside of Pjanic in the beginning. We will start Ronaldo right away for obvious reason but I wouldnt expect to much change after that. Cancelo starting could be right away but I dont see Can starting immediately and honestly dont see Bonucci either.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Worrying? Ill let you in on a secret that i know. People wanting him to start on a forum has zero say in whether he does or if what will happen to him. Max sees him every day and he will make the choice so I wouldnt "worry" about players rating him highly

- - - Updated - - -

People might be mad but I think that Khedira and Matuidi start alongside of Pjanic in the beginning. We will start Ronaldo right away for obvious reason but I wouldnt expect to much change after that. Cancelo starting could be right away but I dont see Can starting immediately and honestly dont see Bonucci either.
See the above for the worrying part. It's not about what people think, it's that the fact that he is seen as a starter speaks of the question marks surrounding our quality in the midfield.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Khedira is finished at top level for both Juventus and Germany. He is slow, he can’t dribble, can’t pass and doesn’t win many duels. The only thing he’s good at anymore is occasionally chipping in with goals, but more often than not his runs leave his teams defensively exposed, as we saw against Mexico.

Bentancur has to start next season. Our midfield with continue to get overrun against any decent opponent so long that Khedira is a starter.

Bentancur actually has some fight in him.

juve103423

Mar 22, 2010
Khedira is finished at top level for both Juventus and Germany. He is slow, he can’t dribble, can’t pass and doesn’t win many duels. The only thing he’s good at anymore is occasionally chipping in with goals, but more often than not his runs leave his teams defensively exposed, as we saw against Mexico.

Bentancur has to start next season. Our midfield with continue to get overrun against any decent opponent so long that Khedira is a starter.

Bentancur actually has some fight in him.
Same you can almost say for Pjanic (Khediras description). I still have to see a game where he shows his actual worth. Even in his individual highlights on youtube he is very unimpressive. His attitude is lazy, many complacent bouncy passes putting the recipient under pressure and we loose the ball. Slow, no dribbling or physical abilities either. Good freekicks and corners, good at slowing down the tempo and doing backpasses. Is that all we require from this magical 'regista' position? What bullshit.
And no, we cant put him higher up the field. What would he do there? We got world class attacking players, no need to try to create an artificial position just to suit him.
Our best players right now are Ronaldo, Costa, Cuadrado, Dybala, Cancelo, Sandro. Those are athletic, fast, technical, hardworking players. We should do everything we can to accommodate all of them.

Matuidi, Bentancur, Pjanic, Khedira, Can, Marchisio.. I see them all on about the same level. And that level is way below the level we have at other positions. We should limit our losses and find a way to just field 2 of them instead of put 3 of these average players out there. The reason why Pjanic is interesting to sell is ofcourse not that he is the worst of the bunch, but because he might have a higher value on the market and could guarantee funds for buying twice the player. None of the others can generate that.
Pogba/Savic - Matuidi/Bentancur would be a great improvement.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
It's just the total package he has. Height, aerial ability, aggression, pace to stop counters, calmness on the ball, passing vision, ability to side step a forward pressing him and break the line.

These are all attributes he has clearly shown so he's exciting. But to me this is as a regista only. As a B2B or a traditional CM in a 4-4-2, I think these are sub-optimal for him.

none of the bolded he's consistent in though, being able to pass it around calmly in tough circumstances and consistently doing it are two different things, I don't think he's there yet to be our starting regista, agree with those saying he is still very raw.

having seen how Max handles youngsters, I very much doubt he'll be able to claim a starting spot this year, dude will have to be almost perfect at what he does when given the chance. But he has time on his side, surely he'll be given a third season even if he fails to reach starting 11 this year.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004

Sure, there is potential. But I think he has a very long way to go.

I think he should be box to box instead of regista at the moment. He’s too ‘stupid’ as regista at the moment.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
He doesn't have a passing ability to be regista. But he can be a helluva b2b – big, strong, fast, amazing tackler, great feet for a big guy, tough motherfucker. His shot and passing are still meh, but he is young.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
There is no point in playing three central midfielders against a team that was going to park the bus.

A midfield of Bentancur-Pjanic-Can would be much better against Napoli, team that will actually attack us and leave space in behind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)