Rock, in all shapes and sizes (15 Viewers)

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #901
    It blew my mind, plain and simple. Those 3 drummers are so well rehearsed it’s ridiculous. You ever watched the blue men group? It’s that level of tightness and synchronization added to a master level of technicality and ability. Not to the mention the sound, damnit the sound was like listening to a record, everything sounded full and clear and no mistakes are ever made.

To me King Crimson will always be the most progressive rock band of them all, they truly are the definition of progressive. 50 years later and still to this day they sound ahead of their time it’s incredible. A mix of Jazz, classical and just high level technical stuff added to heavy and dark guitars. Beautiful chaos is what I call it. King Crimson is the definition of chaos. The setlist as you can see was amazing, all songs from the debut record except I Talk To The Wind. Then stuff from Lizard, Islands and Red and a killer version of Discipline. I’d drive to Egypt and back if I knew it was gonna be this good just to see them again. Best concert I ever been to.

Buy on AliExpress.com

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    It blew my mind, plain and simple. Those 3 drummers are so well rehearsed it’s ridiculous. You ever watched the blue men group? It’s that level of tightness and synchronization added to a master level of technicality and ability. Not to the mention the sound, damnit the sound was like listening to a record, everything sounded full and clear and no mistakes are ever made.

To me King Crimson will always be the most progressive rock band of them all, they truly are the definition of progressive. 50 years later and still to this day they sound ahead of their time it’s incredible. A mix of Jazz, classical and just high level technical stuff added to heavy and dark guitars. Beautiful chaos is what I call it. King Crimson is the definition of chaos. The setlist as you can see was amazing, all songs from the debut record except I Talk To The Wind. Then stuff from Lizard, Islands and Red and a killer version of Discipline. I’d drive to Egypt and back if I knew it was gonna be this good just to see them again. Best concert I ever been to.
    dude, very happy for you. i can imagine what it meant to you. they are still incredible after all those years indeed. i watched a couple of clips of their recent tour, that sync between the drummers is on a different level. and no need to elaborate on what i'd do with tony levin's stick :seven:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I think that if you had a Holy Trinity for Progressive Rock, it would be Yes, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd. You can mix and match Genesis, Rush, and ELP in there to suit your tastes.

So, I have a question for all of you rock fans out there.

Who is your favorite supergroup, and why? I have my answer, and it may be shocking,but when I give my reasons, it will make sense.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #905
    I think that if you had a Holy Trinity for Progressive Rock, it would be Yes, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd. You can mix and match Genesis, Rush, and ELP in there to suit your tastes.

So, I have a question for all of you rock fans out there.

Who is your favorite supergroup, and why? I have my answer, and it may be shocking,but when I give my reasons, it will make sense.
    Supergroup? Probably the very first and most important one, Cream.

But to me honorable mentions would be ELP, Blind Faith, U.K. and Weather Report.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Supergroup? Probably the very first and most important one, Cream.

But to me honorable mentions would be ELP, Blind Faith, U.K. and Weather Report.
    All fantastic choices, my man.

But to me? And don't laugh.......................................

Asia. Here's why.

You take members from King Crimson, Yes, and Emerson , Lake and Palmer, and you form a supergroup, and the first thing that would cross anyone's mind would be "Oh my. 15 minute prog roth anthems in 7/8 time switching to 4/4 and back to 7/8 every 45 seconds, with songs about the mystery of life. This is gonna be awesome"

So what do they do? They put out a power pop record. And a fucking great one at that :lol: 2 great ones in fact with Asia and Alpha. To have the balls to go so far out of their comfort zone to do what they did will always put them at the top for me.

And let's admit it. Those songs off of the first two albums were fucking great. Heat of the moment, Only time will tell, Don't Cry, The Smile has left your eyes, Wildest Dream, Sole Survivor. I could go on and on

- - - Updated - - -

And now they have the incredibly awesome and loveable Bumblefoot as lead guitarist and vocalist. It gets no better :touched:

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #907
    All fantastic choices, my man.

But to me? And don't laugh.......................................

Asia. Here's why.

You take members from King Crimson, Yes, and Emerson , Lake and Palmer, and you form a supergroup, and the first thing that would cross anyone's mind would be "Oh my. 15 minute prog roth anthems in 7/8 time switching to 4/4 and back to 7/8 every 45 seconds, with songs about the mystery of life. This is gonna be awesome"

So what do they do? They put out a power pop record. And a fucking great one at that :lol: 2 great ones in fact with Asia and Alpha. To have the balls to go so far out of their comfort zone to do what they did will always put them at the top for me.

And let's admit it. Those songs off of the first two albums were fucking great. Heat of the moment, Only time will tell, Don't Cry, The Smile has left your eyes, Wildest Dream, Sole Survivor. I could go on and on

- - - Updated - - -

And now they have the incredibly awesome and loveable Bumblefoot as lead guitarist and vocalist. It gets no better :touched:
    Oh I'm not laughing I like the first two Asia records (Especially the first one) . At that point Prog was dead anyway so I see no problem with them going the pop route. It's just a different era, can't compare early 70's music to early 80's.

I'm a big John Wetton fan so I like pretty much everything he's been in from Family to Crimson, Uriah Heep to U.K. Very unique voice.

Btw here's something from his early career you might not be familiar with. A super killer bass line shows how the guy was truly talented.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    So psyched for you, my friend. That’s brilliant. :weee: They are fantastic live.

They are incredible live. And they have gotten to the point now where they play all of their most familiar songs, which to be honest is perfectly fine with me. They will play tracks such as "Intolerable", or other lesser known songs, but Aenema, Stinkfist, Schism, Parabol/Parabola, Vicarious, etc.... are all part of the setlist.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife has never been to a Tool concert, so I told her that if she expects Maynard to come onto the stage and actually try to have a conversation with the audience, good luck with that :lol:

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
    They are incredible live. And they have gotten to the point now where they play all of their most familiar songs, which to be honest is perfectly fine with me. They will play tracks such as "Intolerable", or other lesser known songs, but Aenema, Stinkfist, Schism, Parabol/Parabola, Vicarious, etc.... are all part of the setlist.
    Intolerable was the best thing they did when I saw them this July, they nailed it.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Intolerable was the best thing they did when I saw them this July, they nailed it.
    True, but it's not one of the first songs that pop into your head when you think of Tool songs. It's probably , maybe 3rd or 4th on the list just off of that album alone, behind Sober and Prison Sex.

Last time I saw them live was on the Laterealus tour, and they opened up with Sober.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
    True, but it's not one of the first songs that pop into your head when you think of Tool songs. It's probably , maybe 3rd or 4th on the list just off of that album alone, behind Sober and Prison Sex.

Last time I saw them live was on the Laterealus tour, and they opened up with Sober.
    Thats like what? 18 years ago?
    Btw, you thoughts on APC and Puscifer?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I don't know how many people remember this group. These young men were from Georgia, and I really thought they would be the next big thing. half of their songs off of this debut album were used in movies and video games back in 2002. I REALLY dug these kids. And I still love this song to this day. Their debut album was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats like what? 18 years ago?
    Btw, you thoughts on APC and Puscifer?

Yes it was. One of Mike Patton's side projects opened up for them. Quite honestly, they were fucking terrible, but whatever :lol:

I like Puscifer more than APC. Puscifer really allows Maynard to lighten up. His wine is amazing, by the way. Absolutely amazing

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #913
    I remember missing APC’s Thirteenth Steps tour back in 2003 w Deftones and Denali iirc. Big mistake. I will always regret it. Saw Tool’s 10k days tour, pretty amazing.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I've heard troubling things about Eddie too. It would break my heart if he leaves too soon. My notebooks in High School were covered with the classic VH Logo :sigh:

- - - Updated - - -

I would put their 1st 4 albums up against anybody else's. They were that awesome.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #919
    I've heard troubling things about Eddie too. It would break my heart if he leaves too soon. My notebooks in High School were covered with the classic VH Logo :sigh:

- - - Updated - - -

I would put their 1st 4 albums up against anybody else's. They were that awesome.

I Appreciate his skills and importance to music but always hated his choice of sounds and style. He created a legion of shredding players with their annoying vibrato and never-ending arpeggios. I can't stand it.

To me It's the equivalent to the player who can't play a fucking groovy melody on bass but will slap the shit out of it thinking it's cool. Some techniques are just annoying as fuck when it's overused.

So never really got into VH.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I Appreciate his skills and importance to music but always hated his choice of sounds and style. He created a legion of shredding players with their annoying vibrato and never-ending arpeggios. I can't stand it.

To me It's the equivalent to the player who can't play a fucking groovy melody on bass but will slap the shit out of it thinking it's cool. Some techniques are just annoying as fuck when it's overused.

So never really got into VH.

Ok..................................................

Thanks, I guess?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)