Rock, in all shapes and sizes (6 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
New Roger Waters album is fucking great. Raw and politically brutal.
@s4tch
i've been listening to it since friday, when i found it on tidal. as you said: lyrics are raw and brutal. sums up the 'murica thread :D

it's pretty early to say a definitive verdict, still, it might be the best floyd-related material since forever.

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #663
    i've been listening to it since friday, when i found it on tidal. as you said: lyrics are raw and brutal. sums up the 'murica thread :D

it's pretty early to say a definitive verdict, still, it might be the best floyd-related material since forever.
    Agreed. This and On An Island, which I love as well. You know Nigel Godrich, Radiohead guy, produced this one, right? Eason it sounds so good :D that guy knows his shit. It sounds to me like a rawer Final Cut with a take on modern life and its politics.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
    Gave a listen to Greta Van Fleet, it's crazy how much the vocalist sounds like Robert Plant, freaks me out a bit, Plant's surely not the easiest guy to copy with that crazy range.
    If only the other band members where half as good as Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham :D Anyways, worth a listen, they're fun

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #666

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    I'd hardly call that plagiarism, more like influence. Musicians have been influenced by pieces of art since forever.

Nothing wrong with making a cover that resembles something painted by Picasso or van Gogh. What a douche bag.
    Every government agency that ever published a redacted document should sue that guy.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #671
    Tbh I like it just I liked the other singles. I think this guy finally realized he has a shot of going from a fairly known artist and respected, in the right circles, producer to a somewhat mainstream artist (One of his new songs was in the Spotify's weekly top 40) and one of the most respected producers of today.

It happens when you're 25+ years in pretty much obscurity even though you're putting out work like no one else around. Dude's tired. He's done it all.

20+ min progressive/psychedelic pieces, dozens of concept albums with complex music. Has done everything the metal genre, in it's progressive form, has to offer... Enough was enough. He now opened his arms to Spotify and the idea of streaming music... Hell, he even has a profile there where he makes weekly playlist which btw are usually very good ones.

So honestly? I'm really glad he took this Tear For Fears/ 80's Genesis path this time. Whatever he was doing before to me had saturated a while ago. This is refreshing and taking his music to unknown places, at least regarding his career...

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #673
    Could all this be summerised into one single word - sellout?
    Hmm Not if pop music was already part of his musical core. It's not like he woke up one day and decided to make pop just to sell records like those generic artists out there.

He has always said he loves Prog as much as he loves, say, ABBA.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
    Hmm Not if pop music was already part of his musical core. It's not like he woke up one day and decided to make pop just to sell records like those generic artists out there.

He has always said he loves Prog as much as he loves, say, ABBA.
    This. He's always maintained that he wants to try new things, even if it means alienating his core fans.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #676
    Then no respect for Bowie, Pink Floyd, Queen, Genesis and a million other relevant artists whom at one point in their careers went into uncharted territory and away from the same old, same old.

But hey, there's always the Iron Maiden type of bands doing the same shit decade after decade if that gets you hard :D

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
    Then no respect for Bowie, Pink Floyd, Queen, Genesis and a million other relevant artists whom at one point in their careers went into uncharted territory and away from the same old, same old.

But hey, there's always the Iron Maiden type of bands doing the same shit decade after decade if that gets you hard :D
    :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)