Robin Gosens - LB/LWB - Atalanta (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Oh we defenitely need Gosens and I would love it if we could get him. But what we disagree on is the urgency you feel in thinking its necessary to weaken Atalanta? I dont think thats something focus on much. If its Inter yeah, but them, nah.

Even more so when they are such a system heavy team. Gosens is a quality dynamic utility type of player, but replacing him for them wont be that of a daunting task with their playstyle. Hateboer I would not like to see in Juve, and he is performing almost as good as Gosens for example.
We're going to be competing for 4th the next few seasons, so it makes sense.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Atalanta seems to be the kind of the team that actually gets strengthened if you give them good money for their players, they didn't miss a beat replacing Gagliardini, Kessie, Conti, Bastoni or Cristante and kept improving as a team, they have an impeccable scouting system.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
We're going to be competing for 4th the next few seasons, so it makes sense.
You went far back finding that post. I remember I was replying to Andy/bjerknes.

I would welcome a Gosens signing for sure. But it begs the question? Do we really see him as an LB? He is best suited as an LWB/LM who is at best inside the box in end of attacks. He is even more attacking than Cuadrado. Cuadrado is fine with crossing as main attacking avenue. Gosens main style is getting inside the box to get involved in finishing attacks. Off ball alot. He doesnt have a third of Cuadrados dribbling abilities. Tho he is way more dynamic. A machine.

Class but DEFENITELY a system player.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You went far back finding that post. I remember I was replying to Andy/bjerknes.

I would welcome a Gosens signing for sure. But it begs the question? Do we really see him as an LB? He is best suited as an LWB/LM who is at best inside the box in end of attacks. He is even more attacking than Cuadrado. Cuadrado is fine with crossing as main attacking avenue. Gosens main style is getting inside the box to get involved in finishing attacks. Off ball alot. He doesnt have a third of Cuadrados dribbling abilities. Tho he is way more dynamic. A machine.

People are obviously sure we'll be playing 4 man defense next season? I'm not so sure of it. Imagine we get Gosens. We're kinda set to play 3-5-2 with Gosens and Cuadrado on wings, a formation which could later variate.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011

I didn't even notice how far back I was - drifting away at work :lol:

We agree about Gosens tho.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
There are more than a few teams playing with 2 very attacking fullbacks. I don't exactly always like it but I don't consider Cuads or Gosens defensively vulnerable like a Hakimi or Cancelo for instance, so why not? As long as we get a real holding midfielder to help out. When needed we can always use the more defensive backup like Failieri (my guess) or Danilo.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The issue isn't playing two attacking fullbacks. Its doable.

The issue might be if Gosens can even play fullback? He has been LM role his entire impressive tenure in Atalanta. And he would be forced to be more on ball then he has been in Atalanta, with us. Because their system is built on the high pressing big waves of synchronisation attacks, short passing and off ball runs by the wide players. What happens when that set up isn't there anymore.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The issue isn't playing two attacking fullbacks. Its doable.

The issue might be if Gosens can even play fullback? He has been LM role his entire impressive tenure in Atalanta. And he would be forced to be more on ball then he has been in Atalanta, with us. Because their system is built on the high pressing big waves of synchronisation attacks, short passing and off ball runs by the wide players. What happens when that set up isn't there anymore.
Yeah, you're right. I assume we'd get a good player even if he's a LB but no way imo we'd get this Atalanta quality level because he surely provides more upfront.

Might be a wild guess, but if Real manages to sign Alaba (I thought it was official but apparently it isn't) I thought we'd move to sign Marcelo and sell Sandro. I have a feeling he'll be our priority and not Gosens.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Atalanta seems to be the kind of the team that actually gets strengthened if you give them good money for their players, they didn't miss a beat replacing Gagliardini, Kessie, Conti, Bastoni or Cristante and kept improving as a team, they have an impeccable scouting system.
They have a system that all the players understand. The only thing that changes for them is that Gosens' backup becomes starter, and there is not the same pressure on him or the replacement buy to win every single game.

Only when Atalanta are obliged to win do we really see how good Gasp and all the players are, but this might never happen because there are bigger teams with larger fan bases and media pressure.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
There are more than a few teams playing with 2 very attacking fullbacks. I don't exactly always like it but I don't consider Cuads or Gosens defensively vulnerable like a Hakimi or Cancelo for instance, so why not? As long as we get a real holding midfielder to help out. When needed we can always use the more defensive backup like Failieri (my guess) or Danilo.
Failieri? You mean Plumberson Failieri of London Blue? :scared: :yuck: :inter:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)