Rio 2016 Olympics (4 Viewers)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Serbia won its 1st gold at the Olympics in Waterpolo. they started the tournament slow, had an elimination game vs Japan in the last match of the group stage but won, and then outplayed and won vs Spain, Italy and Croatia. well deserved

congrats @Dostoevsky

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Serbia won its 1st gold at the Olympics in Waterpolo. they started the tournament slow, had an elimination game vs Japan in the last match of the group stage but won, and then outplayed and won vs Spain, Italy and Croatia. well deserved

congrats @Dostoevsky
:tup:

but we always rock it, it's not a big surprise. We won Euros, WC and everything out there over the recent years. But this just nailed it, I'm glad for some veterans.

But we did fairly well at big sports :D unexpected finals against US in basketball.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Is water polo big in the balkans?
Big as we have many amazing players & clubs, yeah.

But I wouldn't say people follow it closely, only big tournaments.

But Montenegro, Croatia, Hungary, Greece and Serbia are all great (but we dominate a lot more ofc :D). It's almost always those teams fighting for gold. Italy is very strong too.

Phew, I'm so glad we won it now. We won everything. :donedeal:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
:tup:

but we always rock it, it's not a big surprise. We won Euros, WC and everything out there over the recent years. But this just nailed it, I'm glad for some veterans.

But we did fairly well at big sports :D unexpected finals against US in basketball.
the best waterpolo nation last 10 years or so imo, always winning or getting very close to at these big tournaments. and they always win vs Croatia :p

tbh id be lying if i said that im surprised to see Serbia in a basketball tournament final, theyre just amazing at it. they looked weaker than usual without Bjelica, Marjanovic and some others but still did it. the only thing that would surprise me about them is if they beat Americans

OP
Völler

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
  • Thread Starter #286

But Montenegro, Croatia, Hungary, Greece and Serbia are all great (but we dominate a lot more ofc :D). It's almost always those teams fighting for gold. Italy is very strong too.

I've never seen a water polo game in my life, so in comparison I guess it's pretty big. :D It's funny how each country has a 'weird' sport that they specialize in.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    the best waterpolo nation last 10 years or so imo, always winning or getting very close to at these big tournaments. and they always win vs Croatia :p

tbh id be lying if i said that im surprised to see Serbia in a basketball tournament final, theyre just amazing at it. they looked weaker than usual without Bjelica, Marjanovic and some others but still did it. the only thing that would surprise me about them is if they beat Americans
    We had ups and downs in basketball. We can beat many but we can always pull a Roma and choke out of nowhere. Our current coach is brilliant.

Finals is a huge success. I'm gonna be proud even if we lose against United Steroids.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen a water polo game in my life, so in comparison I guess it's pretty big. :D It's funny how each country has a 'weird' sport that they specialize in.
    No, I think it's quite weird. Our population is obsessed with football and all kids train it. Yet football is our weakest spot :lol2:

OP
    Völler

Völler

Always spot on
    May 6, 2012
  • Thread Starter #289
    No, I think it's quite weird. Our population is obsessed with football and all kids train it. Yet football is our weakest spot :lol2:
    But everyone is obsessed with football. That's why it's difficult to be the best at it. If a small country wants to win something, it's much smarter to pick a strange sport like water polo and specialize in it. :p

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    But everyone is obsessed with football. That's why it's difficult to be the best at it. If a small country wants to win something, it's much smarter to pick a strange sport like water polo and specialize in it. :p
    It has a great competition, though. It's not like we're talking about wrestling :p

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    We had ups and downs in basketball. We can beat many but we can always pull a Roma and choke out of nowhere. Our current coach is brilliant.

Finals is a huge success. I'm gonna be proud even if we lose against United Steroids.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, final vs USA is great, as good as winning the whole thing in any other sport probably. agree about your coach, hes running the team so well last 3 tournaments

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
    lol one of their only two golds is in wrestling :p Was an undeserved gold though, but I'm happy that wrestling helped Serbia have a spot among top 30 countries :klin:

- - - Updated - - -

Italy is traditionally good at water polo. I haven't followed water polo in the past few years though but I remember there were two brothers who used to play for Italy, and I loved them :D

OP
    Völler

Völler

Always spot on
    May 6, 2012
  • Thread Starter #294
    lol one of their only two golds is in wrestling :p Was an undeserved gold though, but I'm happy that wrestling helped Serbia have a spot among top 30 countries :klin:

- - - Updated - - -

Italy is traditionally good at water polo. I haven't followed water polo in the past few years though but I remember there were two brothers who used to play for Italy, and I loved them :D
    http://www.medalspercapita.com/

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    what i hate about these sports like Waterpolo and Handball is that players can change their NT so easily. so you get Garcia playing for Croatia after playing for Spain for years or bunch of exYu guys playing for Brazil at these Olympics. or that Qatar Handball NT :sergio:

OP
    Völler

Völler

Always spot on
    May 6, 2012
  • Thread Starter #296
    what i hate about these sports like Waterpolo and Handball is that players can change their NT so easily. so you get Garcia playing for Croatia after playing for Spain for years or bunch of exYu guys playing for Brazil at these Olympics. or that Qatar Handball NT :sergio:
    Word, zizi! :agree: The Qatar handball team is a disgrace. @Fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)