Richard Dawkins: I will arrest Pope Benedict XVI (2 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I'd honestly rather not think about it, its a pretty whacked out hypothetical.
But what I'm trying to say is that both the Pope and Livni were in the same position. They have to take responsibility for the actions of others but rape...murder...same thing? The difference mind you is that while Livni didn't pull the trigger of a gun, she still ordered soldiers into Gaza for the purpose of killing innocent Palestinians. The Pope didn't go out and say.. ok today we're going to launch a program to rape as many alter boys as we can.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Thats a very morbid question.
I'm not trying to trick you. I'm trying to show that A. raping young boys is probably not as bad as spraying them with bullets and B. an inability to take responsibility for the actions of others is not the same as ordering others to act and then denying any responsibility for it.

Pretty much, if you think the Pope and Livni's situation is even nearly similar you're kidding yourself.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'm not trying to trick you. I'm trying to show that A. raping young boys is probably not as bad as spraying them with bullets and B. an inability to take responsibility for the actions of others is not the same as ordering others to act and then denying any responsibility for it.

Pretty much, if you think the Pope and Livni's situation is even nearly similar you're kidding yourself.
Exactly. Say what you want about the Pope, he did not order killing people including innocent women and children, throwing people out of their homes, and denying people basic rights like food, electricity and medicine.

A "person" like Livni is the one that deserves to be raped by a priest.

I didnt claim they were similar, i have learned that when israel discussions kick off to just stay out of it.
Probably because you watch too much Sky?

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
If you had to make a choice would you rape a young boy or kill one?

Aren't you destroying a life either way.

Is it unethical NOT to abort a down syndrome fetus?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
But what I'm trying to say is that both the Pope and Livni were in the same position. They have to take responsibility for the actions of others but rape...murder...same thing? The difference mind you is that while Livni didn't pull the trigger of a gun, she still ordered soldiers into Gaza for the purpose of killing innocent Palestinians. The Pope didn't go out and say.. ok today we're going to launch a program to rape as many alter boys as we can.
No, he just circulated an order saying "if child abuse happens, keep it quiet, gag the victims and move the priests somewhere else before they can be prosecuted".

So no, technically he didn't order the abuse, but he did as good as endorse it.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Probably because you watch too much Sky?
As you well know i am a student living on campus, how would i have access to sky news?

I find myself too liberal to debate the conflict because to both sides i look like an appologist, which i probably am.

I have no real side on the sitauation. I dont believe israel should exist, but we cant unexist it and the way that both sides have behaved in the conflict is disgraceful. The issue i have as a student of politics is that the democratic state is difficult to criticise when it is dealing with a terrorist cell.

It essentially the same as if scottish terror cells started firing rockets on english cities. The sovereign state has to take action. Israel has just gone about it in completely the wrong way and as a result i then find it almost impossible to defend them.

I know it is probably difficult to understand where i am coming from here because you live in the Arabic world and will through naturalisation have a completely different opinion of it to me.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
As you well know i am a student living on campus, how would i have access to sky news?

I find myself too liberal to debate the conflict because to both sides i look like an appologist, which i probably am.

I have no real side on the sitauation. I dont believe israel should exist, but we cant unexist it and the way that both sides have behaved in the conflict is disgraceful. The issue i have as a student of politics is that the democratic state is difficult to criticise when it is dealing with a terrorist cell.

It essentially the same as if scottish terror cells started firing rockets on english cities. The sovereign state has to take action. Israel has just gone about it in completely the wrong way and as a result i then find it almost impossible to defend them.

A democratic state that kills more innocent civilians than any other government? Fuck democracy, if Israel is a democratic state. Its a murdering, thieving, immoral state as far as i'm concerned.

I know it is probably difficult to understand where i am coming from here because you live in the Arabic world and will through naturalisation have a completely different opinion of it to me.
Also the fact that most of my friends are Palestinians who have confiscated land, homes over there, or have a dead uncle, grandparent, parent, cousin, sibling etc because of Israel, and the fact that most of them have never been to their country and will never get the chance to go there. I think all those factors could have contributed to me having a different opinion too.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
No, he just circulated an order saying "if child abuse happens, keep it quiet, gag the victims and move the priests somewhere else before they can be prosecuted".

So no, technically he didn't order the abuse, but he did as good as endorse it.
You forgot, "... or you'll be excommunicated." Seriously.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
A democratic state that kills more innocent civilians than any other government? Fuck democracy, if Israel is a democratic state. Its a murdering, thieving, immoral state as far as i'm concerned.
Ok, this is getting posted for the last time. I know people may think me an Sam are full of shit but we spent all day learning about the pissy little details within international politics that are of some significane

Democracy is merely the appoint of rulers by the people aka Demos.
Liberal Democracy is a system thats supports the ideals of human rights and the rule of law.

It the same way that Terrorism is a tactic and a Terrorist is somebody that practices Terrorism, hence USA- Terrorists,Hamas Terrorists etc.

Appologies Fred your just being quoted but it's happened 5 or 6 times in the past month.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Ok, if that is the case, then Israel is not the only democracy in the Middle East as people always say. There are countries like Algeria who have elections to choose their president*, same goes for Lebanon and a few other countries.

* Even though the integrity of the election process is up for debate.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Ok, if that is the case, then Israel is not the only democracy in the Middle East as people always say. There are countries like Algeria who have elections to choose their president*, same goes for Lebanon and a few other countries.

* Even though the integrity of the election process is up for debate.
Indeed there are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)