Revolution in Barcelona? (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
BARCELONA SELL OUT

According to Spanish radio reports Barcelona are planning to offload 8 players at the end of the season including 5 of coach Frank Rijkaard's Dutch compatriots.

The reports suggest that club president Joan Laporta is planning to bring in one or two major names to the club and in order to lighten the club's wage bill, the Dutch enclave will have to be dismantled.

The 8 players to get the chop are Luis Enrique, Gerard, Philip, Recber Rustu, as well as Dutchmen Patrick Kluivert, Cocu, Overmars, Reiziger and on-loan Arsenal wing-back Van Bronckhorst.

Taken from www.footballnl.com

----------------------------------------------------

Well if this is true than I'm a very happy man! I was starting to feel really embarassed that a Spanish team has so many Dutchmen in it. It's just not healthy imo.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Aug 1, 2003
Wow, EIGHT players to be offloaded ? Can't they go one at a time? Thats a bit much ... and what if they plan to bring other players, and somehow their deals are cancelled or something? They'll be left with nothing at all :undecide:

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
If its true. It couldnt be better news for Barcelona. After having been renowned as a great football club, Barca have stagnated in to a no show. Probably the most overated team in club football these days. They struggle to win nething. And the reason behind it is the team mentality has settled down and got comfortable as a mid table team. Offloading the main nucleus and bringing in new players would be brilliant for Barca to reignite the challenge of attaining glory once again.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Agreed. Though on paper they are losing some big name players there, it simply isn't working. As long as Marquez and puyol stay I'm happy.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
Marques hasn't really been a hit yet tough, Tom?

And all of those players need to be sold, except for Luis Enrique, but he's old, so the loss isn't that big. Get rid of Rijkaard and get Denieux. Barcelona needs to improve, and the club has such an enormous potential. Even with the sorry state the club is in now it's not doing too bad, other clubs would have been relegated two years ago.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I still would've loved to see Barca win the Champions League and get relegated in the same season :LOL:

Jul 28, 2002
barca need to rejuventate there entire team, and build a logical team that works, possibly around ronaldinho.

We kinda need to do the same, well defensively at least.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Torkel I've got every faith that he will be :)

He's agot all the attributes IMO that a centre back is gonna need to play in a top european league plus he's young too, so I can see him becoming a major player in the future.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Unfortunately none of those eight players would be of any help to us. From now on I think that Barca should play with one upfront, backed by Ronaldinho and possibly Riquelme when/if he returns. Reiziger and Van Bronckhorst are on the chop list so Laporta will need to recruit some fullbacks to flank Puyol and Marquez in the centre of the defence. Put Iniesta or Quaresma at right mid, Xavi in the middle, and Cocu on the left, and you're set.

Valdes
RB Puyol Marquez LB (Oscar perhaps?)
Iniesta Xavi Cocu
Ronaldinho Riquelme
Sergio Garcia

Luis Garcia, Quaresma and Saviola offer plenty of attacking options coming off the bench.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
Torkel I've got every faith that he will be :)

He's agot all the attributes IMO that a centre back is gonna need to play in a top european league plus he's young too, so I can see him becoming a major player in the future.
Yes, I see your points, he is a good and valuable player. :) And anything is a upgrade on Reiziger! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)