Redevelopment of Delle Alpi (2 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
damn i hope this stadium thing finish as soon as posibble...its frustrating hearing our own players and president publically say how they hate our own stadium...
Yeah, it's sad, isn' it.

Players from Milan and Roma will look back on their careers and remember how glorious it was to step out onto the San Siro or Olimpico pitch and have a capacity crowd go absolutely wild. What will our players remember of our Delle Alpi? :down:

Buy on AliExpress.com

avfc

Oct 31, 2004
I see a lot of people are drawing comparisons with what Arsenal are doing with their move from Highbury to Ashgrove (the EmiratesDome). There is also some disappointment Juve having a ground that has less than 40,000 capacity, which is interestingly enough about the same size as Arsenal's curent stadium, which they are spending a lot of money to leave behind.

Arsenal's rationale - quite rightly - is that one day Wenger and the current team will be gone and there is no reason to expect their successors to work the same miracles with (comparitively) so little money.

They can only realistially compete with the likes of Manu etc. in the long term if cash in on their current success and get to a position where they can generate similar turnover.

Their answer is to build a much bigger stadium.

I have a feeling that they have identified the problem correctly (as have the Juve board), but have gone for the wrong solution.

I recently saw figures that estimated the number of 'sympathetic' Real Madrid fans worldwide as being 320 million. Man United were quoted at 280 million. No other football club was mentioned, but I guess that Juve may not be as high but will still be hundreds of millions.

Arsenal could well be making a big mistake. Building a bigger ground costs a lot of money (even if it is mostly someone elses). The extra 25000 or so paying supporters this gets you will generate peanuts compared to the kind of money to be had by getting to a worldwide paying audience via TV or the internet.

It could be that the most critical thing about a football ground is that is is full, to provide a good atmosphere for the wider broadcast audience. As I write this I am watching Juve trash Chievo. There is plenty of noise coming from somewhere but all I can see on TV is empty terracing. It's like watching a reserve game with added skills.

Arsenal's perception is that their current gound is too small. There is a good chance that they are wrong. Juve's idea is tha the SDA is too big and soulless. They have probably got it right.

The only thing I don't understand is the extra expense of re-developing the existing stadium which is is far more costly than building afresh on a new site. It's not like Juve - unlike Arsenal - would be leaving their spiritual home.

p.s. 38 - 40,000 might be too big :)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Rumour has it that Juve didnt get permission to build a new stadium in Turin. TOrino cant pay the maintanance of the Delle Alpi all by themselves, and the stadium is too new (built for WC 1990) to be just left empty. It was a cmopromise between juve and the city of Turin.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by avfc ] ++
I see a lot of people are drawing comparisons with what Arsenal are doing with their move from Highbury to Ashgrove (the EmiratesDome). There is also some disappointment Juve having a ground that has less than 40,000 capacity, which is interestingly enough about the same size as Arsenal's curent stadium, which they are spending a lot of money to leave behind.

Arsenal's rationale - quite rightly - is that one day Wenger and the current team will be gone and there is no reason to expect their successors to work the same miracles with (comparitively) so little money.

They can only realistially compete with the likes of Manu etc. in the long term if cash in on their current success and get to a position where they can generate similar turnover.

Their answer is to build a much bigger stadium.

I have a feeling that they have identified the problem correctly (as have the Juve board), but have gone for the wrong solution.

I recently saw figures that estimated the number of 'sympathetic' Real Madrid fans worldwide as being 320 million. Man United were quoted at 280 million. No other football club was mentioned, but I guess that Juve may not be as high but will still be hundreds of millions.

Arsenal could well be making a big mistake. Building a bigger ground costs a lot of money (even if it is mostly someone elses). The extra 25000 or so paying supporters this gets you will generate peanuts compared to the kind of money to be had by getting to a worldwide paying audience via TV or the internet.

It could be that the most critical thing about a football ground is that is is full, to provide a good atmosphere for the wider broadcast audience. As I write this I am watching Juve trash Chievo. There is plenty of noise coming from somewhere but all I can see on TV is empty terracing. It's like watching a reserve game with added skills.

Arsenal's perception is that their current gound is too small. There is a good chance that they are wrong. Juve's idea is tha the SDA is too big and soulless. They have probably got it right.

The only thing I don't understand is the extra expense of re-developing the existing stadium which is is far more costly than building afresh on a new site. It's not like Juve - unlike Arsenal - would be leaving their spiritual home.

p.s. 38 - 40,000 might be too big :)

i dont agree with u. Arsenal has planned this move very carefully....its obvous Highbury is the bottle neck for their developement...their season pass holder alone would cover all 40 000 seast in everymatch.. there is hardly room for international fans to get to see the match live....its crutial for their long term competetiveness that they move to a bigger stadium as right now Manchester United is notching 1 million pounds more then them in each game...thats around 30 mil a year which is no lil money... that 1 mil a game would be very useful to give bigger contracts to the likes of henry , Pires and Viera to make them stay... the timing couldnt have been better... with Arsene Wenger's legendary run and eye for profitable transfers, they can just create the financial stregth to pull this out...thanks also to the Emirates 100 mil in 12 years sponsorship....

while in Juve's case i wouldnt really blame the fans or the stadium capacity for the low turnout... i blame it more on the stadium's structure...the architechs should be shamed for life... why would people go to the stadium if they wont have a good time watching Juve play..thats why i am looking forward for the new modern stadium to finish... i have been to Saitama stadium where i got great view even on the highest of terrace..i expect nothing less from the new stadiumm ..:thumb:

avfc

Oct 31, 2004
Great first post avfc

welcome to the forums
thank you for your welcome. It's great to be here. I'm not entirely sure how I got to be a 'promising youngster' though :)

i dont agree with u. Arsenal has planned this move very carefully....
You could well be right, but the thrust of my post was that Arsenal need to do something to compete (as do Juve and a whole host of other clubs), but I just think the path they've chosen is the wrong one, whereas there is a lot to be said for what Juve are doing.

Highbury may well constrain them today (and for the next 4 or 5 years), but building a new stadium is something you do with with a view to what is happening 10 or 20 years out.

Highbury or EmiratesPalace, Wenger (contract until 2008), Viera, Henry and Pires are going nowhere, other than to make room for Fabregas, Reyes van Persie etc. etc.

What Arsenal are doing may seem a bright idea at present, but 10 years on will turn out to a a big millstone around their neck. Where else has this happened? :) :)

By your own numbers, the new stadium will bring Arsenal about 20 to 25 million GBP per season in extra revenue. All Manu have to do is get live broadcasts to half their worldwide fanbase (that's 140 million) and charge them a nominal 2 GBP per game (they're suckers, they'll pay). This would mean that ManU will rake in 10 times Arsenal's annual increase in a single week.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by avfc ] ++

By your own numbers, the new stadium will bring Arsenal about 20 to 25 million GBP per season in extra revenue. All Manu have to do is get live broadcasts to half their worldwide fanbase (that's 140 million) and charge them a nominal 2 GBP per game (they're suckers, they'll pay). This would mean that ManU will rake in 10 times Arsenal's annual increase in a single week.
arsenal could do broadcasts as well;)

welcome to the forums btw:)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Valley ] ++
I hope they leave space for our third star on the seating.
Good point!

Maybe you should write them an e-mail just incase they forgot to consider that ;)

++ [ originally posted by Len ] ++
Actually the starts aren't part of our logo anymore..........
they're still on our shirt and very much a part of our history

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Len ] ++
IMO, the Stadium looks awesome with black&white seating...;)
Hopefully we won't be able to see the seats when the stadium's completed :groan:

erado

Nov 2, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Good point!

Maybe you should write them an e-mail just incase they forgot to consider that ;)
Yeah, and save another space for 4th star. We will need that very soon :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)