Really Need Advice!!! (1 Viewer)

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
This isn't strictly support regarding the forums, but I need as much advice as I can get!

In december of 2007, me and my rbothers purchased a german shepherd dog (3 months old) from a couple living locally (not liscenced dealers). I might add that our parents were on holiday and they did not have our consent. the price was £400, and with all negotiations i only managed to knock £25 off. Anyway, we bought the dog all was well. Within a few days however we realised we had made a terrible mistake, it was too much for us to handle however we treid our best and thought we would get used to it. Our parents returned on the 5th day and were very unhappy, and wanted us to return it, however we were adamant he stayed, on the 7th day however enough was enough, and we were forced to go back, the owners reluctantly took him back, but not giving a refund stated that they would sell him on for us on their behalf. I gave them plenty of time, however i called them today, and asked them for the money, the sellers replied that they were not able to sell the dog, and had to give him away to a dog home. She also said that the dog cost a lot of money for them while they were holding on to them and that I coudln't have my money back.

Obviously I was very annoyed, but I am under the impression something is not right, they were extremely fussy about the price of the dog, not willing to go under £375, yet one week later.............they are supposed to sell him on and now they tell me they gave him to a dog home, i think there is a bit of dirty play going on, also the dog was ours, so them giving him to a home without consulting is is very illogical as he was ours. The legal age for buying a dog is 16, and my brother who signed the paper work is 17, so i cannot use that against them, however I know for a fact they should not have given the dog away without consulting us.

Does anyone have any advice on this? any angle i can use against them? take them to court? I realise it was irrisponsible of me and my brothers but everyone makes mistakes, and we only had him for a week, i believe they sold him and kept the money, since i took a long time to come back to them, any advice would be great though

thanks guys

Buy on AliExpress.com

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Had you any papers proving that you bought the dog, and other papers that prove that you have put it in their custody??

Aug 1, 2003
If your brother signed the paperwork saying that you bought the dog thus proving the dog is yours at the time the dog was given away later ... I dont know, maybe you could use that against them? Good luck though.. If you're serious about this then the couple should have a field day proving that they gave it to a dog home, which dog home, paperwork etc.

OP
Il Re

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
  • Thread Starter #4
    Had you any papers proving that you bought the dog, and other papers that prove that you have put it in their custody??
    i have papers stating i bought the dog, however, i didn't get papers that i put it in their custody, damn, very stupid of me :crazy:

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    you admitted yourself, you brought the dog home without thinking if you will keep it for real, raising a dog is very hard at home, and specially if you don't have a garden, as you said, the owners kept the dog for 4? 5? months, well that costs to be honest, if they look at it carefully (dog food, medicine all of these aren't cheap). You made a mistake, and that cost you 375 euros, never mind, it's not that big money anyway, and you can't do anything about it I guess, but the only way is to talk to the owners and ask how much did they spend on the dog exactly, and both of you maybe can agree, I don't think there is other way..

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    if you have the papers for him then you could prove he is yours if he was chipped.

though tbh if you get the dog back then i get the feeling they would be looking for recompense for looking after him all this time

the moral of the story is-a dog is a major commitment, when i took the doberman i was fully aware that i needed to walk him 5-6 times a day, play with him all teh time and i needed to train him well. otherwise i guess i would have had a story like yours

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    This isn't strictly support regarding the forums, but I need as much advice as I can get!

In december of 2007, me and my rbothers purchased a german shepherd dog (3 months old) from a couple living locally (not liscenced dealers). I might add that our parents were on holiday and they did not have our consent. the price was £400, and with all negotiations i only managed to knock £25 off. Anyway, we bought the dog all was well. Within a few days however we realised we had made a terrible mistake, it was too much for us to handle however we treid our best and thought we would get used to it. Our parents returned on the 5th day and were very unhappy, and wanted us to return it, however we were adamant he stayed, on the 7th day however enough was enough, and we were forced to go back, the owners reluctantly took him back, but not giving a refund stated that they would sell him on for us on their behalf. I gave them plenty of time, however i called them today, and asked them for the money, the sellers replied that they were not able to sell the dog, and had to give him away to a dog home. She also said that the dog cost a lot of money for them while they were holding on to them and that I coudln't have my money back.

Obviously I was very annoyed, but I am under the impression something is not right, they were extremely fussy about the price of the dog, not willing to go under £375, yet one week later.............they are supposed to sell him on and now they tell me they gave him to a dog home, i think there is a bit of dirty play going on, also the dog was ours, so them giving him to a home without consulting is is very illogical as he was ours. The legal age for buying a dog is 16, and my brother who signed the paper work is 17, so i cannot use that against them, however I know for a fact they should not have given the dog away without consulting us.

Does anyone have any advice on this? any angle i can use against them? take them to court? I realise it was irrisponsible of me and my brothers but everyone makes mistakes, and we only had him for a week, i believe they sold him and kept the money, since i took a long time to come back to them, any advice would be great though

thanks guys

Unless you can prove that there was an agreement that they would sell the dog for you (which would be very difficult without a contract), and prove that they did not take reasonable steps to get some money for the dog, you have no legal basis for complaining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)