Reading Arabic 'hard for brain' (1 Viewer)

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Israeli scientists believe they have identified why Arabic is particularly hard to learn to read.

The University of Haifa team say people use both sides of their brain when they begin reading a language - but when learning Arabic this is wasting effort.

The detail of Arabic characters means students should use only the left side of their brain because that side is better at distinguishing detail.

The findings from the study of 40 people are reported in Neuropsychology.
Continue reading the main story

When someone learns to read Arabic they have to work out which letters are which, and which ones go with which sounds.

It is the ability to tell letters apart that seems to work differently in Arabic - because telling the characters apart involves looking at very small details such as the placement of dots.

Professor Zohar Eviatar, who led the research team, said: "The particular characteristics of Arabic make it hard for the right hemisphere to be involved. When you are starting something new, there is a lot of [right hemisphere] involvement."

Clearer differences

The researchers looked at 40 university students. Some of the students only spoke Hebrew, while some also spoke and read Arabic well.

In order to work out which side of the brain reads letters, the researchers flashed letters for a 10th of a second to one side of a screen or the other.

When the eyes see something for just a short time, and it is at one side of a screen, only one brain hemisphere is quick enough to process the image.

The team measured how fast and how accurate the students were when they tried to tell letters apart, first in Hebrew and then in Arabic.

All the students could read Hebrew well, and they all used both left and right hemispheres to tell Hebrew letters apart.

The same thing has previously been found with English letters.

Characters in English and Hebrew are easier to tell apart because there are clearer differences between them than there are in Arabic.

Sensitivity

When they looked at the students' reading of Arabic letters it gave the team a clue about why children find the language difficult to learn to read.

The Hebrew-only speakers behaved like children just starting to read most languages - they tried to tell Arabic letters apart, managed to do it slowly but made a lot of mistakes, and used both hemispheres of their brains.

The good Arabic readers, however, only used their left hemispheres to tell Arabic letters apart.

The researchers were intrigued by this and investigated further. They wanted to know why the right hemisphere was not working when reading Arabic letters, so they set a right hemisphere challenge.

They showed the students pairs of extremely similar Arabic letters - with just "local" differences - and letters that are more different - with "global" differences.

When the Arabic readers saw similar letters with their right hemispheres, they answered randomly - they could not tell them apart at all.

"The right hemisphere is more sensitive to the global aspects of what it's looking at, while the left hemisphere is more sensitive to the local features," says Professor Eviatar.

The team think this may give them some clues about what readers may be doing wrong when they begin to try to read Arabic.
Reading hope

Both young children and adults call on both hemispheres to help them learn a new task.

And using both hemispheres is the right thing to do when reading English or Hebrew - so children's learning strategies would be fine if they were reading another language.

But previous research has found that the right hemisphere is not that good at distinguishing small details, so readers starting to learn Arabic have to learn to focus on small details, which is not natural to them, but could help them shift to their left hemispheres.

Now the researchers want to compare new and highly expert Arabic readers in the hope of finding out what their brains are doing when they look at letters.

Ultimately, they would like to work out how to teach Arabic reading better to children, including helping them to tell letters apart and how to remember which sound goes with which letter.

BBC

---

There you have it, from our long life enemies. Arabic is the language of geniuses :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Btw, it seems that languages become simpler as the societies in which they are used advance. Because if you look at the most complicated languages in the world they belong to tribes with a few thousand people.

===

When people think of the most difficult languages to learn, they often cite Chinese or Arabic or Russian. But The Economist argues, these languages are child's play compared to some of the world's lesser-known tongues. Take, for example, a language spoken by a few thousand people in Botswana called !Xóõ (go ahead, sound it out). Here's how The Economist describes this baffling language:
[!Xóõ] has a blistering array of unusual sounds. Its vowels include plain, pharyngealised, strident and breathy, and they carry four tones. It has five basic clicks and 17 accompanying ones. The leading expert on the !Xóõ, Tony Traill, developed a lump on his larynx from learning to make their sounds.

A language in New Guinea called Berik requires speakers to end many words with suffixes that describe what time of day something occurred. Bora, a language spoken in Peru, has more than 350 genders! How does that work?

But according to The Economist, the most difficult language to learn (other than the one you're currently studying), is Tuyuca, spoken by less than 1,000 people in the eastern Amazon. There are between 40 and 150 genders in Tuyuca, and verbs require suffixes that tell how a speaker knows something. For example, "Diga ape-wi means that 'the boy played soccer (I know because I saw him)', while diga ape-hiyi means 'the boy played soccer (I assume).'"

So next time you're struggling with remembering "Je suis, tu es, il est..." think of !Xóõ and Tuyuca and consider how lucky you have it.

===

http://www.gadling.com/2010/01/04/whats-the-hardest-language-to-learn/

OP
JBF

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
  • Thread Starter #6
    Maybe you should spend less time on learning to read and write and more time on other aspects of life, then.
    Don't get all pissed because of this, it's just a joke that language makes geniuses. The study simply shows Arabic to be a very difficult language to learn but Im sure you, being the all mighty Martin, will have no problem what so ever learning it as you're not only a genius but you have LIFE too. Which is something me nor any Arab will ever have :howler:

Btw, it seems that languages become simpler as the societies in which they are used advance. Because if you look at the most complicated languages in the world they belong to tribes with a few thousand people.

===

When people think of the most difficult languages to learn, they often cite Chinese or Arabic or Russian. But The Economist argues, these languages are child's play compared to some of the world's lesser-known tongues. Take, for example, a language spoken by a few thousand people in Botswana called !Xóõ (go ahead, sound it out). Here's how The Economist describes this baffling language:
    [!Xóõ] has a blistering array of unusual sounds. Its vowels include plain, pharyngealised, strident and breathy, and they carry four tones. It has five basic clicks and 17 accompanying ones. The leading expert on the !Xóõ, Tony Traill, developed a lump on his larynx from learning to make their sounds.

A language in New Guinea called Berik requires speakers to end many words with suffixes that describe what time of day something occurred. Bora, a language spoken in Peru, has more than 350 genders! How does that work?

But according to The Economist, the most difficult language to learn (other than the one you're currently studying), is Tuyuca, spoken by less than 1,000 people in the eastern Amazon. There are between 40 and 150 genders in Tuyuca, and verbs require suffixes that tell how a speaker knows something. For example, "Diga ape-wi means that 'the boy played soccer (I know because I saw him)', while diga ape-hiyi means 'the boy played soccer (I assume).'"

So next time you're struggling with remembering "Je suis, tu es, il est..." think of !Xóõ and Tuyuca and consider how lucky you have it.

===

http://www.gadling.com/2010/01/04/whats-the-hardest-language-to-learn/
    See the thing is, every language is measured by how much it spreads across the globe in other words how many people are thought to be speaking the language, that's why English have that crown these days.

Almost no one cares about a difficult language spoken by a couple of hundreds/thousands contrary to what the case is when we're talking about a language spoken by about a 300 million people.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Don't get all pissed because of this, it's just a joke that language makes geniuses. The study simply shows Arabic to be a very difficult language to learn but Im sure you, being the all mighty Martin, will have no problem what so ever learning it as you're not only a genius but you have LIFE too. Which is something me nor any Arab will ever have :howler:
    I was just countering your dubious suggestion that having a difficult language is some sort of badge of honor. It really isn't. Noone ever fails to learn his native language. Because if he did, he would be crippled, unable to function in society. No matter how hard the language may be.

Thus no matter how hard a language it is, if it's your native language you will still learn it. Therefore it's not an impressive achievement.

OP
    JBF

JBF

اختك يا زمن
    Aug 5, 2006
  • Thread Starter #9
    I was just countering your dubious suggestion that having a difficult language is some sort of badge of honor. It really isn't. Noone ever fails to learn his native language. Because if he did, he would be crippled, unable to function in society. No matter how hard the language may be.

Thus no matter how hard a language it is, if it's your native language you will still learn it. Therefore it's not an impressive achievement.
    And where exactly did I say it's an honor to have a a difficult language? I simply posted a study I came across that proves that Arabic is a difficult language to learn for foreigners and that it requires a special effort by the brain. Whether some may be proud of that is a different issue to discuss.

And Martin, it is an achievement for a foreigner to learn to speak Arabic fluently, as you've read only few can do that.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    And where exactly did I say it's an honor to have a a difficult language? I simply posted a study I came across that proves that Arabic is a difficult language to learn for foreigners and that it requires a special effort by the brain. Whether some may be proud of that is a different issue to discuss.

And Martin, it is an achievement for a foreigner to learn to speak Arabic fluently, as you've read only few can do that.
    Yes, it is.

In fact, there is no objective standard for what makes a language difficult. It depends so much on how distant the language is from your own language. But for English speakers Arabic is considered among the most difficult to learn:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Language_Learning_Difficulty_for_English_Speakers

I'm learning Italian which you can see is in the easiest group. :D

OP
    JBF

JBF

اختك يا زمن
    Aug 5, 2006
  • Thread Starter #11
    See the thing is there are about five Arabic letters foreigners find really difficult to come up with their phonetic sound, it would be great if they come close. While for Arabs there's no such thing learning other main languages, almost every Arab can come up with the phonetic sound of any language whether it was Asian, European, African or American. I read a study about that nearly two years ago.

So yea you're right, difficulty in learning a language does somewhat depends on the perspective of where the person is coming from but as this study I posted here suggests, Arabic requires a special brain activity contrary to many languages including the supposed relative of the Arabic language and that is Hebrew.

OP
    JBF

JBF

اختك يا زمن
    Aug 5, 2006
  • Thread Starter #15
    No. It's "Kos Omak" and the literal translation means " Your mother's pussy" :D

But it gives the meaning that your calling his mother a whore.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    What do you have for us, Jay?
    Several Asian languages have them, although as you noted, the more tribal or indian populations have the best ones. Suffixes, infixes (in set positions) and prefixes for tense and mood, ergative and accusative cases, many together and also inflections.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)