Read this if you want to avoid 0-0 draws (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
The most profound Dutch football magazine, Voetbal International, in corporation with UEFA, did some research and came up with some interesting statistics. The top 25 national leagues of Europe (according to UEFA's list of co-efficients) were subject to a mathematical survey in the infamous 0-0 draws.

Europe's strongest league, Spain, earns a grey mid-table position, as do fellow giants France and Germany.

A stereotype is brutally crushed in the top three though, where England has surpassed Italy by nearly 3% and Belgium is a surprising leader with a frightening 13%.

Closing the list is, fully accordingly to those same stereotypes, Holland. Where a combination of attacking football and the inability to defend makes sure that the Dutch only see ONE 0-0 draw per THREE match-rounds in their Eredivisie.

Whether this list is also a good indicator of entertainment is, of course, open to discussion.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    So... Dutch magazine Voetbal International found that the Dutch league is the most interesting to watch. No way! :D
    :( Actually, they clearly stated that having the least number of 0-0 draws isn't necessarily a guarantee for entertaining football.

After all, Germany is far too low on this table ;)

And they did it in corporation with UEFA. Just thought I should add that for argument's sake.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    here's my opinion:
    most of the time low number of 0-0 draws is not a guarantee for entertaining football.
    The dutch league is not entertaining at all. This "award" is an indication for a bad thing- lousy defenses. The lousy defenses cause some games to be highly uninteresting, like 4-1, 5-0 (not close). the games between the small teams are close, but again the quality and the defense is not good. The 3 top teams are good though.

The EPL is a boring leaue, and not just beacuse of the 0-0 results. so it's go together.

I think the best leagues are Italy and Spain. first of all, the quality is very good. Secondly, the games are close and interesting.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #8
    Exactly my point, Oded! This list is not a guarantee for entertaining football - but I also never claimed it was.

It was Martin who jumped at that, irresponsible, conclusion. ;)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by JuveCampione ] ++
    I think the best leagues are Italy and Spain. first of all, the quality is very good. Secondly, the games are close and interesting.
    Exactly. The games are about closeness. I'd rather have a tight, intense 0-0 draw than an 8-0 hammering because some team can't defend properly.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    Well this proves that the EPL is pretty ordinary... bcoz we all know that defending isn't their forte ...

so Bad defending + Bad attacking = 0-0 draws....

In Italy there are quite a few low scoring games because of the defensive pedigree.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    well guys i'll have to defend our EPl.

Lets suppose the EPL is a boring league,then i wonder how come they have the most fans it is the most followed league as all of you know.

but i think that if it is a boring league,it wont have much followers

right?:D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    because the English don't know what they're missing out on :)

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

We know how bad the EPL is after watching Serie A and La Liga, but the poor English don't have that :p

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    because the English don't know what they're missing out on :)

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

We know how bad the EPL is after watching Serie A and La Liga, but the poor English don't have that :p
    ya they dont have too watch the too defensive serie A or the league that is always won by Real,they just dont bother when they have the best league between their hands:cool:

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
    ya they dont have too watch the too defensive serie A or the league that is always won by Real,they just dont bother when they have the best league between their hands:cool:
    You'r making a big mistake. You say the spanish league is always won by Real Madrid, but that's not exactly true. if they want to win, they have to suffer for it. Every spanish team can challenge every spanish team, and that's the real beauty of La Liga.
    You forgot most of the time the EPL is won easily by Manchester United (at least in the last 10 years). There are 3 good teams, and all the rest are much weaker.

The reason why the EPL is so followed, is because the english are the best concerning the TV broadcasting, and sometimes the big teams play great football, that is misleading people.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
    It's not like the EPL is all-attacking either, it's just that they can't defend. As for winning the title every time, who r u kidding man? Since the Premiership started, Man U have won it 8 out of 11 times, while Real Madrid were losing the Liga to Barca by 11 points only 5 years ago, and were 9 points off the pace only 2 years ago.

England has the biggest monopoly out of the major european leagues (if you don't count scotland, greece, turkey etc)

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    England has the biggest monopoly out of the major european leagues (if you don't count scotland, greece, turkey etc)
    Even Holland (though not a major league) isn't as bad. In the past eleven years:

5x Ajax
    4x PSV
    2x Feyenoord

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    I would had liked to C all countries beeing calculated after playin' equal # of
    games... what is this? some lagues have played over 80 games when
    some other over 200...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)