Rate this World Cup! (5 Viewers)

Rate this World Cup

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
What I really hated about this WC was the way it was presented in such a way yo appeal to people who don't really care about the game but more about fads and pop culture. It really made me not want to take part in it at all.

The football was nothing special either. In fact, I can't think of anything that stood out positively in this WC.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I've only seen two other world cups so I can only compare it to those other two.

I would say that it was better than 2002 but worse than 2006

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
When the tournament started the refs were doing surprisingly really well but then it went downhill fast. That really spoiled it for me and then the outcome was the icing on the cake.

2/5.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It was a good World Cup. But as always, people love to complain.
I'd have to agree from my perspective.

People who diss the Vuvuzela's :disagree:
Group stages were shit, after the knockouts the games were more exciting and saw some better football.

The Jabulani and refereeing mistakes were a bit too much though.

3 sounds fair.
I gave it a 4.

Reasons to give it lower:
* Refereeing mistakes: way too many, way too many bad ones. Mitigating factor: most of the worst mistakes didn't make that much difference in the ultimate results.
- Also: the refs were too soft on cards in the semi-finals
* Goalkeeping was terrible for the most part. I won't blame the ball, however.
* Level of play was poor sometimes, particularly in the Group Stages.

Reasons to give it higher:
* I cannot say enough about the South Africans as hosts of this thing. The people were not only of good, friendly spirit, these guys love their football as much as any other footballing nation. The electricity in the streets -- the kind of thing you feel when you're at a Juve match and their announcing the players with the loud music -- was all in evidence here among the fans, eventhough their team was well out of the tournament.
- Here's a little video I took yesterday in Cape Town, some 1200km from the Final match: . Doesn't matter who was in the Final, these guys have football fever in spades.
- The vuvuzelas were cool. These aren't a recent invention here: people grew up playing football in school and had vuvuzelas at even those matches. It would have been criminal to deny the home country of something so identified with the passion of the sport represented by South Africans.
* In the end, they may not have played the football everyone expected, but IMO the best team, and most deserving, in the tournament won.
* Teams that didn't deserve to do much got their just rewards -- i.e., France, Italy, England

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
2010 was worse than 2002
It's a close call, but the fact that the refs in Japan/South Korea were so obviously not people making innocent mistakes probably makes 2002 worse. I think that by now the game is going so fast, that it's very difficult to get some calls right.

Lampard's goal was not one of those difficult calls.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
It's a close call, but the fact that the refs in Japan/South Korea were so obviously not people making innocent mistakes probably makes 2002 worse. I think that by now the game is going so fast, that it's very difficult to get some calls right.

Lampard's goal was not one of those difficult calls.
:agree:

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
4, big reason being us getting this far, so I got to enjoy our team for a longer time than usual.

The groups were rather dull, but the knock-out games were pretty exciting to watch. There were hardly any really good games though.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
2010 was worse than 2002
No way.

I'd have to agree from my perspective.

I gave it a 4.

Reasons to give it lower:
* Refereeing mistakes: way too many, way too many bad ones. Mitigating factor: most of the worst mistakes didn't make that much difference in the ultimate results.
- Also: the refs were too soft on cards in the semi-finals
* Goalkeeping was terrible for the most part. I won't blame the ball, however.
* Level of play was poor sometimes, particularly in the Group Stages.

Reasons to give it higher:
* I cannot say enough about the South Africans as hosts of this thing. The people were not only of good, friendly spirit, these guys love their football as much as any other footballing nation. The electricity in the streets -- the kind of thing you feel when you're at a Juve match and their announcing the players with the loud music -- was all in evidence here among the fans, eventhough their team was well out of the tournament.
- Here's a little video I took yesterday in Cape Town, some 1200km from the Final match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUs1vX1Pfw. Doesn't matter who was in the Final, these guys have football fever in spades.
- The vuvuzelas were cool. These aren't a recent invention here: people grew up playing football in school and had vuvuzelas at even those matches. It would have been criminal to deny the home country of something so identified with the passion of the sport represented by South Africans.
* In the end, they may not have played the football everyone expected, but IMO the best team, and most deserving, in the tournament won.
* Teams that didn't deserve to do much got their just rewards -- i.e., France, Italy, England
Great post :tup:

Also proves a point i made earlier, people who did not experience it, will never understand how great the atmosphere is in SA and how much the Vuvuzela's contribute to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)