Rate our mercato (9 Viewers)

vote

Results are only viewable after voting.

Epic

Jan 7, 2013
The mercato has ended and this is simply a much stronger team than competed in the Champions League final in May.

There was no revolution. Marotta quietly added a few quality tools to Allegri’s toolbox.

Last year we had no offensive depth. Now we have Costa and Bernardeschi to supplement the impressive quartet of Higuain, Cuadrado, Mandzukic and Dybala. Also Pjaca is coming back from injury.

Last year we had to rely the whole season on Pjanic and Khedira, Hernanes was the substitute. Now we have Matuidi who allows us to transition to a 3-man midfield and provides a much needed muscle in this formation. We have a very promising young playmaker in Bentacur. Also Marchisio is closer to being fully recovered than he was last year.

Last year we were creating plays from the back, with our regista of defense Bonucci. Let him do this at Milan. We instead are going back to where the (central) defenders defend (and score headers from set pieces) and the attackers attack. This is how it is in Real, Bayern and Barca. Since Conte days, our defense was responsible for creating the play. That is one of the things that held us back the most. With Bonucci gone this is over. Now we have a very solid defender in Howedes, room for Rugani to grow and De Scigilio who may still live up to his potential. We are stacked in defense. If you don’t believe compare us to PSG or Barca for example. Defensive teams don’t win the Champions League.

Marotta gave Allegri tools that allow us to play every single formation possible (4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-3-1-2, 3-5-2 and others) with sufficient depth on each single position.

This was a strong, yet quiet mercato. Just what we needed.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I would say the squad is stronger but the starting line-up is weaker and less balanced.

Bonucci and Alves are huge loses, especially as they brought a lot to the team in terms of distributing the ball from the back. We haven't replaced that which is a negative. I would say Howedes is a better defender than Bonucci so that is pleasing, but certainly not a like for like for Bonucci.

Matuidi is a solid signing but I expected a bigger/more long term solution to midfield.

The forwards are undoubtedly strengthened and we now have much needed options, although one more would have been good.

I'm slightly worried about the lack of a clear backup to Higuain, we now need to play Mandzukic or Dybala there who will need rests too. We also may resist giving Higuain needed rest because of this. I'd like to have a different type of striker as an option on the bench e.g. Schick or Kean who like to get in behind.

I'm also slightly worried about the injuries to Khedira and particularly Marchisio. He is our only clear replacement for Pjanic so need to keep him fit.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009

Positives:

-Held onto Sandro and Dybala

-Adequately addressed our biggest concern (lack of attackers) with a pair of good signings in Bernar and Douglas Costa

- Some more good acquisitions to strengthen the squad at good deals in Matuidi and Howedes

- Very happy Sczezny as a 2nd choice goalkeeper and potential stop gap in between Buffon's retirement and finding world class replacement. Who knows he may even make that spot his own next season.

-Acquired more quality youth in Caldara and Bentancur :tup:

-got good deals on all our acquisitions, took our time and didn't overpay to desperately sign players as early as possible as we have sometimes in the past

- Got rid of excess players in Lemina, Zaza, Rincon and Neto and will make close to 40mil doing so

Negatives:

- Schick :(

-MDS. No idea why we signed this guy. He is really going to have to turn it around to prove he is worthy of being even the most unused squad player in this team.

- Failure to adequately replace Bonucci or Alves is the major stain on this mercato. Howedes is a good acquisition but it leaves us with no real attacking threat from the RB position. We have enough CBs but the loss of Bonucci's ball playing ability will certainly be noticeable. Though if things go well this will hopefully be mitigated by the addition of more talented creative wingers, putting less pressure on Pjanic be forward and allowing him to focus on dropping deeper and filling in the gap in distribution from deep.

- Spinazzola. Missing out on him is a big dissapointment though I wouldn't fault our board for it. If Atalanta refuse to let him go early then what can we do? We made a deal with them and maintaining good relationships over time with some of these smaller Serie A clubs is more important than having one Spinazzola a year in advance. The people complaining about us not bullying Atalanta into submission :howler:
Imagine losing Alves Bonnuci, Sandro and Dybala in one window :lol:

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I was more generous then @Klovn, he gave 0.5, I gave them a full 2.5, 1pts for Costa, 1pts for Berna 0.5 for Matuidi

Badass was .5 more generous than I was, and X was a full 1.5pts more generous then badass

the rest of you are crazy.
i feel sorry for @Klin so heartbroken is ok bro :rab:
Heartbroken? Fuck that little bitch with dem skinny legs yo.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
The mercato itself was good. The issue we have is that a handful of key players are injury prone and it only took 2 weeks to see this issue arise.

Apr 19, 2007
Does anyone think our right side could potentially be stronger than least year? Im not sure but I dont think its crazy to think possible and here is why
Towards the end of the Champions league we moved from a 4-2-31 into more of a hybrid 3-4-3 where Alves was pushed higher and we traded Cuads for Barza.
If we continue with this formation which it looks like we will I think that Howedes replacing Barza is a potential upgrade and Alves in the more advanced role was good but not as good as he was when opperating from the Rb position when he could exploit the space left from Cuads. I think its quite possible this year the right side looks better than the end of last year

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
10 .. Like my teachers used to said, everyone started at 10 point(or whatever is the measure they used)

-10 .. After, Losing Alves for free and BonBon for 30m to Milan, yes, 30m cuz MDS worths 0m right now he's a shit at best

-15 .. Then, Selling Lemina and Rincon but keeping worthless player like Asamoah and Sturaro

-5 .. Plus, Getting Sczcecsnickscthk, Bene, Matuidi.

0 .. Then, We way overpay Costa and Berna but after Neymar, they cost peanuts

7 .. Finally, keeping Dybala and AS

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
10 .. Like my teachers used to said, everyone started at 10 point(or whatever is the measure they used)

-10 .. After, Losing Alves for free and BonBon for 30m to Milan, yes, 30m cuz MDS worths 0m right now he's a shit at best

-15 .. Then, Selling Lemina and Rincon but keeping worthless player like Asamoah and Sturaro

-5 .. Plus, Getting Sczcecsnickscthk, Bene, Matuidi.

0 .. Then, We way overpay Costa and Berna but after Neymar, they cost peanuts

7 .. Finally, keeping Dybala and AS
7 full points for keeping your players? :lol:

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
7 full points for keeping your players? :lol:
I know it's nonsense but considering how we love to sell all our big players is a nice change to see Beppe to refusing a whole Neymar fee 220m ( 60m+160m)

After giving away BonBon for peanuts I was prepared for the worst

Apr 19, 2007
The big question is do you think we are/could be better than last seasons team?
Ithink yes

- - - Updated - - -

Why is everyone so mad about getting de sciglio? He was 12 mil. Thats nothing in this climate. Only a few more million than other players like Rincon and Lemina that we purchased. Young and versatile and not meant to be a starter. Not sure why we are mad here especially knowing that we got Howedes now so he will be the starter in this hybrid system

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
The big question is do you think we are/could be better than last seasons team?
Ithink yes

- - - Updated - - -

Why is everyone so mad about getting de sciglio? He was 12 mil. Thats nothing in this climate. Only a few more million than other players like Rincon and Lemina that we purchased. Young and versatile and not meant to be a starter. Not sure why we are mad here especially knowing that we got Howedes now so he will be the starter in this hybrid system
Worst in defense. Not just for losing BonBon but for replacing a GOAT RB with a garbage player like MDS
A little improve MF. IMO Marchisio in form is way better than Matuidi so if he reachs his level again I expect than to be starter in a 2 man MF
Better Attack. In Costa and Berna we have at least one starter IMO and one good sub
A little better Bench. It could be better if we would have sent away our two amateurs players: Asa&Stu

So IMO we are not better than last season but same level in general and if we consider how close we have being of winning everything thats a good market for me

Cuz it means we finally are one step ahead Monaco and Dortmund :snoop:

- - - Updated - - -

About MDS, he's worthless and for those who were hesitating about it, we just lost a final cuz he was overrun like nothing for an average player like Lukaku... Imagine if he faces Alaba, Alba or Marcelo

Apr 19, 2007
Ok but do you think hes a starter? I dont think anyone on our board brought him in to be a starter which is why we brought in Howedes. I guess which is better?

------------------------------Higgy-------------------------0000000000000000000000000 ----------------------------Higgy-----------------------------
------Mandzukic-----------------Dybala--------------------- 000000000000000000000000Mandzukic--------------------Dybala-----------------

Sandro-------------Pjanic------------Khedira-------------Alves0000000000000000000 Sandro-----------Pjanic----------------Matuidi---------------Costa

----------------Chiellini--------------Bonucci----------Barza00000000000000000000000Chiellini-----------Rugani-----------Howedes

Honestly I think thesecond one could be better and there is no doubt we have more depth in just about every position

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)