Ramadan Kareem!! (13 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
just curious: could someone please point me in the direction of the Quranic texts that tell Muslim women to wear the jilbab?

Also a stupid stupid question: Since the context of Islam dictates that the aurat should be covered and e.g. the shape of the body not revealed, what would a typical Muslim girl wear to say, the school prom?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Asma

Asma

Doctor Asma
Oct 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #382
    :thinking:
    hmmm...prom?..well,we shud wear the hijab,thats a must...and we can waer a tshirt,skirt,trousers whatever...but they shud be wide,you know?...like,they shuldnt show the shape of the body..

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by MISS DUBAI ] ++
    hmmm...prom?..well,we shud wear the hijab,thats a must...and we can waer a tshirt,skirt,trousers whatever...but they shud be wide,you know?...like,they shuldnt show the shape of the body..

i bet all the guys in your country want to go to other countries. :p:D

OP
    Asma

Asma

Doctor Asma
    Oct 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #386
    why would they see other girls if there are already girls in the same country?? :confused: sorry dude,but i dont get it!

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    :thinking:
    you said you must wear just wide clothes right? and i meant they want to see girls with tight skirts and bla bla bla... do you understand now? :)

btw, no offence, if you take it in that way. ;)

OP
    Asma

Asma

Doctor Asma
    Oct 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #388
    nah..its ok :) anyways,guys here are used to it..+i dont wear wide clothes(i should) but i dont...:D

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by MISS DUBAI ] ++
    nah..its ok :) anyways,guys here are used to it..+i dont wear wide clothes(i should) but i dont...:D
    you should come to kosovo in the summer to see what's the tight wearing. :D

it's really difficult and hot for the guys : the sun in one side, girls in another, huh....:D

Aug 1, 2003
    well gray. there isn't a "rule" that for proms you need to be sexy or anything. personally, I think it'll take a whole lot of venturing and creativity to combine clothes and dresses together to still look nice in a dress but covers your aurat. Try have a look at the arabs, they look very nice in everything whilst covering their aurat.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    thanks for the answer :)

btw I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but nobody answered my first question :D

also why do some Muslims consider the whole body of a woman to be aurat, whilst others allow the revealing of the hands and feet?

Aug 1, 2003
    regarding your first question, I'm a bit lazy to get my Koran translation and religious book on aurat since it's upstairs in my room. Sorry. No can do at the moment :D

Well that depends on the 'mazhab' methinks, in Islam there are four major mazhabs which is Hanafi, Maliki, Syafie'e and Hanbali. These four mazhabs have no major difference, but they do have some difference, such as some mazhab believes that after performing ablution if you touch the opposite sex's skin you have to take your ablution again and some mazhabs think it's ok to touch the opposite sex's skin and no need to perform the ablution again. usually these mazhabs' difference are based on certain countries' condition. it's hard to explain. majed can do a better job. :)

personally, what do you think of the idea of wearing a jilbab, gray? and honest. are you really forever online? :p

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    it's hard for me to say really, because I don't know much about islam at all, and in Christianity there are no such rules about what you should wear, just basic guidelines on humility and purity.

If the doctrines of a religion dictate the wearing of 'religious' clothing, then I'm in no position to judge it, although one thing I can't help but notice is that Islam seems to be a 'man's religion', where a lot of males interpret Quranic writings as being a full access ticket to physically abusing women if they break certain rules, whereas males who break the same rules don't (from what I've heard) get punished nearly as severely. There's also the promise of 72 virgins in heaven, but I don't know much about that so I shan't go into it any further.

I'm not forever online, in fact I'm supposed to be at uni today but I didn't end up going :embarass:. But I refresh the forum index regularly and reply to whatever interests me, and that gives people the impress that I do nothing but check the forums all the time. I'm a very efficient internet user though ;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    thanks for the answer :)

btw I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but nobody answered my first question :D
    Sorry I missed the Q before Graham...

From my sources:

" What is the Hijab? The word itself comes from the arabic word "hajaba" meaning to conceal or hide from view. Hijab is the modest covering of the head and body of muslim women.

Who has to wear it? All muslim adults are supposed to wear the appropriate hijab for their sex.This is one Hadith related by Abu Dawood: "Ayesha(r) reported that Asmaa bint Abu Bakr(r) came to the Messenger of Allah(swt) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this.' He pointed to the face and hands."

Why do they have to wear it? [Basically,] muslims must wear the hijab because Allah(swt) ordered it. Muslims have two sources for guidance. The first and most important source is Qur'an, the revealed word of Allah(swt). They may then use Hadith which is the sayings and traditions of the Prophet Muhammad(saw) who was chosen by Allah(swt) to be a role model for mankind."

It's all about just being modest.

Here are two passages from the Qur'an that order the hijab.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest. That is purer for them. Lo! Allah is aware of what they do. (Qur'an 24:30)

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands..." (Qur'an 24:31)

also why do some Muslims consider the whole body of a woman to be aurat, whilst others allow the revealing of the hands and feet?
    Don't you mean "Hands and Face?"

Anyhow, in a nutshell, Women are not obliged to cover their face and hands, though they may if they want. Men also must look away from a awrah.

Extreme cultures made covering the whole obligatory over time because of innocent mistakes by some scholars when interpreting the Quraan and Hadith. These cultures also brought back a lot of old pre-Islamic arabian mentality towards women. Sadly today, these things are being assosiated with the religion itself. An Example is the terrible reality that women used to go though in Afghanistan.

I can copy the full text of my source if you'd like.. It's pretty long though.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    it's hard for me to say really, because I don't know much about islam at all, and in Christianity there are no such rules about what you should wear, just basic guidelines on humility and purity.

If the doctrines of a religion dictate the wearing of 'religious' clothing, then I'm in no position to judge it, although one thing I can't help but notice is that Islam seems to be a 'man's religion', where a lot of males interpret Quranic writings as being a full access ticket to physically abusing women if they break certain rules, whereas males who break the same rules don't (from what I've heard) get punished nearly as severely. There's also the promise of 72 virgins in heaven, but I don't know much about that so I shan't go into it any further.
    Yes, that's a much talked-about issue when people learn about Islam..
    "I beg your pardon" [/Graham] Graham, but it's 3:16am here and I gotta go to bed. :dazed: I'll have to do a lot more reading before I post. I'll get back to you on this one.. :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Thanks M, helpful as ever :cool:

btw shouldn't you be asleep man? :wth:

++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    Don't you mean "Hands and Face?"
    :wallbang: I slept at 5 this morning

I didn't mean to generalise that all Muslims are like that, and I understand that (a lot like Christianity) a lot of people misinterpret things and take things to extremes, which ultimately misrepresent a religion. Sadly enough, the worst bits are what the rest of the world sees :down:

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
    I heard from Tv once that amuslima are free to wear hijab or not if she doesn't want to.is it right?and if she doesn't want to wear does it consider a sin?
    I have another question.is it alowed for muslim males and females to change their religion?is that a sin too if he/she does?and last question.what islam think about other religions.i mean if christians or jews or budhas etc.. will go to heaven or hell. :)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

you're not the only Moe here :)

how tall do you feel now? :D
    :wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:
    I haven't notice Mohamed's (nosubstitue3242..) avatar..

I told you about the glasses, didn't I?? I should get them.. :sigh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)