Ramadan Kareem!! (6 Viewers)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Amr ] ++

i've experienced tht a couple of years ago (when i was 12-13) man :)

but nw,, u r mature, how can u like smoke a cigarrette while u r fasting,, u can't forget bout fasting now when u r old ;)
who said anything about smoking??

Anyhow, forgetfulness is not something only attributed to children... a lot of the elderly people forget... As for middleaged people, it's not uncommon to forget either specially while dealing with so many responsibilities...

Some people are just absentminded!

There are people more mature then you and I who have ADD for example..

K10

Jul 12, 2002
Tell me honestly, do you think this fasting makes sense?

I am not against it or anything, just, hmm, I guess it's a religious thing.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
These situations are quite funney actually... if you do drink accidentaly, you have people starring at you in shock and you'll be like "what are you looking at?"
then of course it dawns on you :embarass: and everyone starts laughing...
:LOL:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
Tell me honestly, do you think this fasting makes sense?

I am not against it or anything, just, hmm, I guess it's a religious thing.
Well... first of all, like you said, it's a religious thing. It's one of the five "pillars of Islam." So we should just obey but we also take comfort in knowing that what we do is always for the good in that it helps us improve practicing our religion and strengthening our faith to get closer to our creator. Moreover, it goes beyond just faith because we consider the teachings of our religion to be our "way of life."'

Our religious obligations, as tough as they may seem, compliment each other and through practicing them, we see that it's for the best. (our definition of "best" that is)

So, yes, I think fasting makes a lot of sense. So far, durring the first week of fasting, I've cursed a lot less if at all, I've been a lot more appretiative of people less fortunate than I am, I've made calls to relatives whom i havn't spoken to in a long time, I've gained some more patients and little things don't irritate me...these are just small examples of things that our religion wants us to do/feel. We're always looking to improve more on what we think is right.

Some people may not mind that they curse a lot ...etc. They believe that these things aren't important and they don't feel the need to improve on. However, to us, they are important.

Alos, some people assume that Ramadhan is the only time that matters to self improve... This is actually wrong... Ramadhan is just a good chance to start/restart so one can continue on a better path even after Ramadhan.

Jul 19, 2003

Yes.. it does happen.
For example, at school I'll be walking to class talking with someone and i'll see those drinking water fountain thingies and i'd drink spme water forgetting that i'm fasting. It's not uncommon at all... i'm sure you experienced something like that...

These situations are quite funney actually... if you do drink accidentaly, you have people starring at you in shock and you'll be like "what are you looking at?"
then of course it dawns on you :embarass: and everyone starts laughing...
same scenario happens with me all the time

Aug 1, 2003
Agreed Majed. Ramadhan is just a start or practice that needs continuation even after Ramadhan, that is to refrain oneself from bad things.

Regarding eating accidentally, a couple of years back I went out, bought Coca Cola and started drinking until I finished one can. Then I just remembered I'm fasting. Luckily I was not stopped by any policeman :)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003

Well... first of all, like you said, it's a religious thing. It's one of the five "pillars of Islam." So we should just obey but we also take comfort in knowing that what we do is always for the good in that it helps us improve practicing our religion and strengthening our faith to get closer to our creator. Moreover, it goes beyond just faith because we consider the teachings of our religion to be our "way of life."'

Our religious obligations, as tough as they may seem, compliment each other and through practicing them, we see that it's for the best. (our definition of "best" that is)

So, yes, I think fasting makes a lot of sense. So far, durring the first week of fasting, I've cursed a lot less if at all, I've been a lot more appretiative of people less fortunate than I am, I've made calls to relatives whom i havn't spoken to in a long time, I've gained some more patients and little things don't irritate me...these are just small examples of things that our religion wants us to do/feel. We're always looking to improve more on what we think is right.

Some people may not mind that they curse a lot ...etc. They believe that these things aren't important and they don't feel the need to improve on. However, to us, they are important.

Alos, some people assume that Ramadhan is the only time that matters to self improve... This is actually wrong... Ramadhan is just a good chance to start/restart so one can continue on a better path even after Ramadhan.
agreed.. specially to the last part..

btw, this ramadhan I've decided to stop smoking.. It's a good chance to do so..
so far, number of cigarettes smoked since ramadhan started..= 0.. it's tough to fight the desire of smoking, but I'm really determined to quit it..

happy ramadhan to all.. :)

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by sehnsucht79 ] ++
I've cut down my greed this year methinks, now I don't break my fast with too much food and feel bloated. And I'm fasting my senses too. No more Mtv :p
Sally, do you wear jilbab/kerudung (in malay?)?
Maybe it's lil bit off topic but i wanna ask you something.
I've decided to wear jilbab since a month ago. In my country, lots of girls wearing jilbab and they combine it with casual outfit such as long sleeves shirt/blouse+jeans/fancy long skirt+boots, well, something like that. I mean they still care for the fashion style althou they wear jilbab, and they don't look too conventional at all. I like casual outfit as well.
So, is it okay to wear jilbab on that way, Sally? Or is it against the rule (of Islam)? :)

Aug 1, 2003
Yes I do wear it. well there's two sides of this really - in Islam, the rule in clothing is just that as long as it covers your aurat and it's clean.

But, I have a few friends who wear the jilbab but wear tight clothes that shows off their body shape. This is not supposed to be. Also, I have friends who wear the jilbab ala Alicia Keys but it shows off the neck, which is not right because jilbab is also supposed to cover your breasts.

For me, I try to combine many clothes to make it look modern but still is not out of Islam's context. It's a bit hard because nowadays clothes are more skimpy and are not suited for wearing jilbab but you have to explore. It's ok for you to wear long skirts, boots, jeans etc as long as it is not out of Islam's context :)

Hope that helps :D

Jul 19, 2003
nice avatar there Moe... Zala does deserve some recognition :thumb:

I'm thinking of making a Chimenti avatar :D
Thanks. He's quite the poser. It's almost impossible to not make an avatar of those celebrating pics against Udinese. :D

Chimenti?.......hmmmmm.......why the heck not, he's a Juve player after all. :p

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
nice avatar there Moe... Zala does deserve some recognition :thumb:

I'm thinking of making a Chimenti avatar :D
e7emmm.. ahh.. it.. is.. not.. Zala..!!!

it's Trez.. :undecide:

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by sehnsucht79 ] ++
Yes I do wear it. well there's two sides of this really - in Islam, the rule in clothing is just that as long as it covers your aurat and it's clean.

But, I have a few friends who wear the jilbab but wear tight clothes that shows off their body shape. This is not supposed to be. Also, I have friends who wear the jilbab ala Alicia Keys but it shows off the neck, which is not right because jilbab is also supposed to cover your breasts.

For me, I try to combine many clothes to make it look modern but still is not out of Islam's context. It's a bit hard because nowadays clothes are more skimpy and are not suited for wearing jilbab but you have to explore. It's ok for you to wear long skirts, boots, jeans etc as long as it is not out of Islam's context :)

Hope that helps :D
That helps alot :) thank you, Sally! You're the best! :kiss:
Yea, I have to learn more, you know what, I feel different when I wear it. Ppl have much respect and they often say "assalamu'alaikum" everytime they meet me, even they don't know me.
Since I wear jilbab, I tried to controll my self, cleaning my soul and be more patient. Hope I can be more 'istiqomah', InsyaAllah :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)